Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've made so many threads about languages, sorry people.

After I found out that it's unlikely that I'll be accepted for German and Arabic at all universities offering that course, considering I (or the examiner) screwed up in the speaking exam, I've considered or went back to previous options.

Option 1 is to study abroad
    Option 2 is to take a gap year abroad, then reapply.

I am dead set against just doing one language over here, as I would thoroughly not enjoy it and I feel that I haven't made the best use of my time considering what I want to do, however I am not opposed to doing German in Germany because I'd probably attain fluency faster. The problem with that then is that very few undergraduate courses seem to offer that (and minorly I'm cutting down a language, but ignore that.)

Is it possible to study two languages abroad?
    How would you go about studying one?
    Can any of you share experiences for things like the price/cost of studying just one?

If I was to take option 2, to take a gap year, would it be worth going to Germany for a year then coming back to do a degree? Would it not be price-worthy for just one year?

Or can people just offer their thoughts?

Just saying, please don't feel put off answering because there are many questions, as no one is obligated to answer all (or any.)

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

(Sorry, trying to plan the following few years out ASAP. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    :bump:

(Sorry, trying to plan the following few years out ASAP. )
    That will be your downfall. You should have some hopes and dreams, but nothing good comes from hastily planning your future when you're still a university applicant. Had I done that, I would either be doing A) French, Spanish and Italian and looking to work for the EU/UN, B) English Law in the hope of becoming a Lawyer or C) Economics to work in IB.

Thankfully, I went with what I enjoyed and instead of systematically planning everything, I opened up as many doors as possible. In other words, I studied French and Spanish because I enjoyed them, and then in first year of university I decided to take up Japanese as well because I've always had a huge interest in it.

That is to say, I have quite a high level of French and Spanish, and right now I'm in Tokyo where I'm hoping to master the language. I chose to come to Tokyo out of other cities in Japan so I could do internships with big companies in the fields of law enforcement or foreign affairs. This would no doubt come as a surprise to my pre-university self.

Things always change. Don't plan your life since if you do, you won't be as open to new opportunities or changes. It's nice to have a goal to work towards, but that shouldn't be what you're wholly set on doing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.