Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to get entry into investment banking with a BTEC? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Say one does BTEC National Diploma in Business and receives highest marks (360 UCAS points), then studies at a Top 30 University and graduates with a 1st class in Accounting and Finance...and then undertakes a Msc Finance from LSE/Imperial/Oxford.

What I am worried about is the BTEC. It may say that it is equivalent to three As at A-level, but we all know that's not the case...I didn't want to do this BTEC (my parents badly influenced me...).

I am in second year now and will hopefully graduate with a 1st class degree, but how badly will this BTEC affect me? Should I take a year off after graduation and do three A-levels within a year before doing a Masters?

Since I haven't taken A-levels before it should be my 'first sit'. What do you think?

My interests lie in asset management/research...

ReputationRep:
    I took A levels as normal, but generally employers like BTEC's more than typical TSR people would have you believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    I took A levels as normal, but generally employers like BTEC's more than typical TSR people would have you believe.
    This may be the case, but I am worried that people will look down on me.
    I don't think it is very respected in the finance industry...there is a reason top Universities do not accept it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave9520)
    This may be the case, but I am worried that people will look down on me.
    I don't think it is very respected in the finance industry...there is a reason top Universities do not accept it.
    A lot do...

ReputationRep:
    A lot do...
    Do you have any idea how it is viewed in the finance industry/Big 4 Accounting firms?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea how it is viewed in the finance industry/Big 4 Accounting firms?
    I'm not saying this is a good thing but there is an increasing trend to remove the 18 year old qualification requirements at big 4 companies in the name of equality...

ReputationRep:
    Uni attended > BTEC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    Uni attended > BTEC
    Thanks for the reply. So you are implying that if I manage to get into LSE/Imperial for a Masters I will not be auto-filtered/judged because of the BTEC?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not in investment banking bro, it's a pretty snobby industry when it comes to stuff like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Say one does BTEC National Diploma in Business and receives highest marks (360 UCAS points), then studies at a Top 30 University and graduates with a 1st class in Accounting and Finance...and then undertakes a Msc Finance from LSE/Imperial/Oxford.

What I am worried about is the BTEC. It may say that it is equivalent to three As at A-level, but we all know that's not the case...I didn't want to do this BTEC (my parents badly influenced me...).

I am in second year now and will hopefully graduate with a 1st class degree, but how badly will this BTEC affect me? Should I take a year off after graduation and do three A-levels within a year before doing a Masters?

Since I haven't taken A-levels before it should be my 'first sit'. What do you think?

My interests lie in asset management/research...
    OP just apply and see what happens, no one here can say what the recruiters will do. If it doesn't work out, look at other avenues in (including getting an MFin or working somewhere else then getting an MBA) to the industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    once ur at uni, nobody gives a ****.. you just hit some ucas criteria like 320 pts and you've ticked a box. ppl have quals from all over the world.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.