The Student Room Group

Are Protein Shakes worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrTurks
First time using protein shakes. I don't usually go to the gym but I'm rather skinny, I bought Impact Whey Protein from myprotein.com as it has literally no fat and high protein.

I need to add muscle, will I be able to see results from protein shakes soon? I do a lot of running and play intense 5 a side football for an hour or 2, non stop.

In my view only have protein shakes if your doing everything else right, otherwise it's just cheaper to do other things right (i.e. eat more potatoes for weight gain :biggrin:)
Original post by ikhan94
Ughh do one...

Well in future don't give out fitness advice if you don't know what you are talking about.
Original post by King Leonidas

Seriously though, your comment just fried my brain cells.

This is why I still continue to come to TSR fitness. +rep
Original post by Squats and milk
Well in future don't give out fitness advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

Haha let him be, he doesn't have a clue.

Original post by RollerBall
This is why I still continue to come to TSR fitness. +rep

:yy:

Returned rep brah.
Reply 24
ikhan94 has had a mare in this thread lol

OP

Protein shakes are just a source of protein, it ends there. They will not enhance your workout at all.
Original post by King Leonidas
LOL

It always grates on me when someone says they want to 'tone' their body, I be like "bitch aint no such thang as toning!".

Me too! I often hear a particular friend of mine who says "I don't want to build muscle, I just won't to tone my stomach so it's firmer." Makes me want to hit my head against the wall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to work out to build muscle, protein is needed for muscle growth. Now you get all the protein you need from regular food (chicken, eggs, milk etc), but for many they don't have the time or appetite to eat all the protein they need from meals, that's where protein shakes come in, a quick easy way to get lots of protein.
Original post by Lord Samosa
You need to work out to build muscle, protein is needed for muscle growth. Now you get all the protein you need from regular food (chicken, eggs, milk etc), but for many they don't have the time or appetite to eat all the protein they need from meals, that's where protein shakes come in, a quick easy way to get lots of protein.

You don't need lots of protein. Most people over eat protein. Excess protein gets converted into carbs. You are buying expensive carbs.
ITT serious confusion between protein and 'creatine'
Reply 29
I work for MyProtein.com so I'd say I know a thing or two about protein and other supplements for that matter.

Whey protein, or any other protein supplement in fact, will not have all these magic benefits which others have mentioned. They give you a source of protein which is cheap and very low in carbohydrates and fats. They act no differently to protein you will get from eating, chicken for example. Protein in general will help to rebuild your muscle fibres once they have been broken down following a session in the gym.

You do not need whey protein unless you cannot get enough protein through your diet.

Creative on the other hand has some other effects. Essentially, what it does is react with ADP to turn it into ATP, which is used during short bursts of exercises, like lifting weights or sprinting. This occurs naturally in our bodies but supplementing will increase the rate of it and hence will give you 'some' more energy.

There is no point in buying any supplement unless you are going to the gym. Simple.
if you can get enough protein from the food you eat than you don't need them! Check your macros.
Proper food > any supplement out there. They are exactly that, supplements which are there to supplement your diet. If for some reason you can't physically down enough food or don't have enough time to eat then by all means use protein shakes, or if you struggle to meet your macros then yeah sure.. But by no means are they a necessity.

Definitely worth it if they provide you with something which you can't - for one reason or another, get with proper food.
Original post by .JC.
I work for MyProtein.com so I'd say I know a thing or two about protein and other supplements for that matter.

Whey protein, or any other protein supplement in fact, will not have all these magic benefits which others have mentioned. They give you a source of protein which is cheap and very low in carbohydrates and fats. They act no differently to protein you will get from eating, chicken for example. Protein in general will help to rebuild your muscle fibres once they have been broken down following a session in the gym.

You do not need whey protein unless you cannot get enough protein through your diet.

Creative on the other hand has some other effects. Essentially, what it does is react with ADP to turn it into ATP, which is used during short bursts of exercises, like lifting weights or sprinting. This occurs naturally in our bodies but supplementing will increase the rate of it and hence will give you 'some' more energy.

There is no point in buying any supplement unless you are going to the gym. Simple.

ooooohhhh what do you do for them? :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by NathanDYEL
ooooohhhh what do you do for them? :smile:

Freelance writing. I write articles for them on a weekly basis which can be on nutrition, training, supplements, lifestyle etc.

They feature on the home page of their website and are sent out in email newsletters. If you've ever ordered anything off there, chances are they've sent you an email regarding one of my articles.
Reply 34
Like all the others already told you: you need to lift weigth too! Only drinking some shakes won't make any effort. Actually, if you keep that life style (running or other cardio but no lifitng and drinking Protein shakes) you are going to lose weight instead of gaining. Because you're probably eating less because the shake fulls your stomach.
Reply 35
It's only really worth taking supplements if you don't get enough protein in your diet. I'm vegetarian and find it difficult to get 50g protein a day without getting maybe 15-20g from protein powder. I just blend it up with my breakfast smoothie. If you already get enough protein then it won't make any difference-- in fact, I have read about eating much more protein than you need can be harmful. Of course, you would need to be eating excessively more protein than you need for it to actually be harmful, so don't worry about that.
Do some real resistance training, ignore comments about toning up.
All you need to do to gain muscle is EAT CARBS eat PROTEINS eat EVERYTHING

and guess what??? Lift!

You need a calorie surplus if your body will even consider building more muscle so don't be scared of getting fat, if you care about a bit of fat you can get rid of it later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtYP3EEewyE
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by MrTurks
First time using protein shakes. I don't usually go to the gym but I'm rather skinny, I bought Impact Whey Protein from myprotein.com as it has literally no fat and high protein.

I need to add muscle, will I be able to see results from protein shakes soon? I do a lot of running and play intense 5 a side football for an hour or 2, non stop.

You need to hit the gym as well. Gain muscle and the protein shakes will help.

It's up to you and how fast you can gain but you do need protein to build muscle. Just eat a lot first, train at the gym and then think about protein shakes once you've built some muscle.
Reply 38
It's 2015 and people still don't understand protein shake.

It's literally what it says on the packet.
Original post by zKlown
It's 2015 and people still don't understand protein shake.

It's literally what it says on the packet.

My parents still reckon that when I start using a weight gainer, I'm guaranteed to develop cancer and die ... lol

Quick Reply

Latest