Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Improving the MHoC Discussion Thread watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Improving the MHoC - Your Ideas
    I have been planning this thread for a while and now seems the right time after the election.

Let me know your thoughts on how we can improve the MHoC forum and community.

What needs changing - what works or doesn't?
    What would you like to see introduced that would make a positive difference?

I'm not sure this has been done before but I feel it will be good for the House's future.

New developments currently in the pipeline:
    *A re-written bill style guide following August's consultation - something I haven't forgotten about but which has taken a back seat during the referendum and election.

ReputationRep:
    - Updates should always be before midnight. It isn't cool when I have to stay up till 2 in the morning just for the update.
    - There should be a PMQs every week, and a different department's question time every day. This would mean that more areas got discussed, and would make it more like the rl MHoC.
    - More of an effort should be made to publicise the MHoC. When you think about it it's actually pretty amazing, I mean we've basically created an entire political system with its own traditions and conventions on TSR and yet upwards of 75% of TSRians don't even know about it - the election turnout proves me right.
    - The Speaker should be able to be more involved in the daily life of the House. I know they're supposed to be neutral and all that, but having a drink in the Bar a couple of times a week doesn't count as expressing your political views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    - Updates should always be before midnight. It isn't cool when I have to stay up till 2 in the morning just for the update.
    - There should be a PMQs every week, and a different department's question time every day. This would mean that more areas got discussed, and would make it more like the rl MHoC.
    - More of an effort should be made to publicise the MHoC. When you think about it it's actually pretty amazing, I mean we've basically created an entire political system with its own traditions and conventions on TSR and yet upwards of 75% of TSRians don't even know about it - the election turnout proves me right.
    - The Speaker should be able to be more involved in the daily life of the House. I know they're supposed to be neutral and all that, but having a drink in the Bar a couple of times a week doesn't count as expressing your political views.
    You know you could just wake up in the morning and see them.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I agree with all of these

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    True, but I'd forget to vote.

ReputationRep:
    True, but I'd forget to vote.
    You'd still have the PM in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Get it? Because you... smashed that point :indiff: I'm gonna go now. Kthxbye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    With regards to the first, as said, the PM will be there in the morning, or the next afternoon, so just look at it and act accordingly then, and if you would miss votes by doing so that is somewhat of a poor reflection on yourself and the party.
    As for the second, given it's a three day thing, is weekly not a bit much?

ReputationRep:
    You'd still have the PM in the morning.
    But I'd still forget to vote. Trust me, I've tried reading the PM in the morning, it's why my voting record isn't 100%

ReputationRep:
    But I'd still forget to vote. Trust me, I've tried reading the PM in the morning, it's why my voting record isn't 100%
    That's ridiculous, also wasn't that one of your promises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    With regards to the first, as said, the PM will be there in the morning, or the next afternoon, so just look at it and act accordingly then, and if you would miss votes by doing so that is somewhat of a poor reflection on yourself and the party.
    As for the second, given it's a three day thing, is weekly not a bit much?
    I can't see why it couldn't be brought down to two days - three days is too long anyway - and then weekly would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous, also wasn't that one of your promises.
    I'm very forgetful, as anyone that actually knows me can confirm. It's 93.4% so it isn't too far off
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can't see why it couldn't be brought down to two days - three days is too long anyway - and then weekly would be fine.
    Even so it would be a bit often IMO, I would rather have it stay 3 days and make it fortnightly

ReputationRep:
    I'm very forgetful, as anyone that actually knows me can confirm. It's 93.4% so it isn't too far off
    Well my 100% trumps it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Even so it would be a bit often IMO, I would rather have it stay 3 days and make it fortnightly
    Fortnightly would be an improvement. I just think there needs to be a regular, formal opportunity for the leader of the government to be grilled on policy and the government's performance in general, because such opportunities were woefully lacking in the previous government. I can remember one PMQs, and I've been here since June.

ReputationRep:
    Well my 100% trumps it
    You wait till the next voting review
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Fortnightly would be an improvement. I just think there needs to be a regular, formal opportunity for the leader of the government to be grilled on policy and the government's performance in general, because such opportunities were woefully lacking in the previous government. I can remember one PMQs, and I've been here since June.
    I do believe there is something in the GD about it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    just look at it in the morning?
    i think that one question time every day is excessive.
    does it? I mean everyone got the mass PM. I think that you will find what happened was that most people don't care about our political system.
    Finally something I agree with . I'm actually in favour of the speeker being allowed to vote in tie-break situations so I definitely agree.

Personally I think that making the house better will be hard because of all the oldies here and people who come just for drama. As much as I can see it needs to be better I can't see how that can be done.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    So am I. I still manage it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    - Questions to different departments ( a different departments every week ) so for example week 1 Health week 2 defence week 3 treasury questions and so on and then when all departments have been questioned it restarts , the shadow secretary , MPs and members ask the secretary questions

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.