Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Engineer salaries in the uk watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi i am an american chemE graduate looking to move to the UK. Ive looked at salaries for engineers and they seem really low. You would be lucky to get £30k when you graduate ,£40k mid career and£50k late career. In the US, even recent graduates like myself can find jobs paying in excess of £40k. Mid career, we could expect around £65k and late career , £100000 wouldn't be a stretch. Even jobs in oil and gas in the UK cannot compare to less lucrative fields in the US. So how come Uk engineers get paid so much less? To me it seems just an engineering thing. Doctors, lawyer and bankers seem to make so much more than engineers over there.

+ how come you guys dont move to other countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qmzp)
    hi i am an american chemE graduate looking to move to the UK. Ive looked at salaries for engineers and they seem really low. You would be lucky to get £30k when you graduate ,£40k mid career and£50k late career. In the US, even recent graduates like myself can find jobs paying in excess of £40k. Mid career, we could expect around £65k and late career , £100000 wouldn't be a stretch. Even jobs in oil and gas in the UK cannot compare to less lucrative fields in the US. So how come Uk engineers get paid so much less? To me it seems just an engineering thing. Doctors, lawyer and bankers seem to make so much more than engineers over there.

Those figures are a bit skewed, generally starting salary is what you say it is but after a decade £60-£70k isn't uncommon from what I can gather, and likewise late career salary is higher still. Source:

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/Journal...ary-Survey.pdf

They're also discussing your question on reddit, here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/engineering.../found_on_tsr/
    and I already posted some of my answer in a reply in that thread, so go have a look at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qmzp)

We don't have to pay for things like medical insurance. + Look at the exchange rate..
    You can get more for your pound than you can for your dollar.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.