Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very sporty and so I was wondering does that matter? Because I've heard that Exeter is very very sporty and you kinda feel left out if your not sporty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldfe1)
    I'm not very sporty and so I was wondering does that matter? Because I've heard that Exeter is very very sporty and you kinda feel left out if your not sporty!
    I have four words for you.

Complete and utter *******s.

Yes Exeter is very sporty, there are lots of teams here that should be one of the top teams in the country in their respective sports this year and overall the University should be one of the top Universities in BUCS.

But, if you think about it in terms of numbers, let's look at the football team for an example. We enter 5 teams into BUCS, let's say that each team has a squad of 18 players, that's 90 footballers playing at a decent level in BUCS. Exeter has approximately 19,300 students, so that's approximately 0.4% of students play BUCS Football. That 0.4% is going to be about the same for Rugby, Cricket, Hockey, Rowing, American Football, and so on. So overall if you included every single sport you'd probably looking at roughly 5-7% of students playing sport at a BUCS level.

So essentially if you're not very sporty that is absolutely no problem at all. If you want to get involved with things completely outside of sport there's a massive number of societies that exist, all listed here:

https://www.exeterguild.org/societies/

Or if you want to play some sport that's completely fine. The big sports, things like Rugby, Cricket, Football & Hockey, are not particularly easy to join if you don't play to an alright standard but the vast majority of sports are very welcoming for people of all abilities.

Personally I suck at almost all sports but in my time here I've been involved in badminton, rock climbing, tennis, table tennis, rifle shooting, squash, volleyball and ultimate frisbee (not all at once obviously, over my 4 years here) and without fail I have been average at best, and dreadful at a fair few, but I've still had great fun and have never been made to feel out of place simply because I'm not very good!

Hope that's helped put your mind at ease a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FedeAffy)
    Guys!
    Since you re talking about studying sport in Exeter, I was wondering if you could give me an advice.
    Between studying sport at the Southampton Solent Uni or the University of Exeter, which one would you rather choose in terms of "international recognition"? Which one is the best one?

Thanks!!
    Um, nobody was talking about studying sport!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.