Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, iv'e been stuck about my uni options for over a year now. Im in Y13 and in the middle of writing my personal statements, History, and some others since i can't choose. I don't have a set career destination, but I do have a set university, but the course has been changing at least twice every 2 weeks, and its getting to the time where i'd have too give in my application in atleast 4 weeks.

I have a general idea of the courses I would like to do, but even if i look at doing a joint honours degree nothing is standing out, as I know it'll change. It's been circling History , English , Creative Writing and a few others for ages. Derby Uni (the one i want to go too) does do an Liberal Arts course , but i waiting on an email back with the modules before I decide.

In short, I don't know whether or not do a gap year and see if anything stands out. I would love to travel, and work/volunteer. Although, my family doesn't exactly have tons of money.During my time at 6th form I haven't had a job due to the high amounts of essay based A-levels, 2 sets of coursework and an EPQ.

If anyone has any advice on my situation or can pitch in and say what they've done in this situation i would be very grateful. It's causing so much stress and bringing my mood down. It's the half-term so I can't get to the head of 6th form to get her opinion. And if it is leaning towards a gap-year any info or advice on going about doing it. I will go to the teacher who does this once I get back.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abaden)
    So, iv'e been stuck about my uni options for over a year now. Im in Y13 and in the middle of writing my personal statements, History, and some others since i can't choose. I don't have a set career destination, but I do have a set university, but the course has been changing at least twice every 2 weeks, and its getting to the time where i'd have too give in my application in atleast 4 weeks.

I have a general idea of the courses I would like to do, but even if i look at doing a joint honours degree nothing is standing out, as I know it'll change. It's been circling History , English , Creative Writing and a few others for ages. Derby Uni (the one i want to go too) does do an Liberal Arts course , but i waiting on an email back with the modules before I decide.

In short, I don't know whether or not do a gap year and see if anything stands out. I would love to travel, and work/volunteer. Although, my family doesn't exactly have tons of money.During my time at 6th form I haven't had a job due to the high amounts of essay based A-levels, 2 sets of coursework and an EPQ.

If anyone has any advice on my situation or can pitch in and say what they've done in this situation i would be very grateful. It's causing so much stress and bringing my mood down. It's the half-term so I can't get to the head of 6th form to get her opinion. And if it is leaning towards a gap-year any info or advice on going about doing it. I will go to the teacher who does this once I get back.

Thanks.
    Hey! Omg I can totally relate with what you're going through. Ive been having the exact same thoughts, however mine differed in some aspects. Although I do want to go to uni, I dont like the idea of the huge debt afterwards. Like seriously, I just graduated, why would I want to be in debt? Secondly, I feel as if going to uni and then leaving with a degree that might not benefit you is completely useless and may just give you financial crisis more than anything else.
    Therefore, to get rid of all this headache, I have decided to take a gap year. In this gap year i'm not really aiming to travel or go on mystical adventures or 'find my true self', but instead find a job, save some money and actually be realistic.
    However, some people may disagree with me and find that uni is actually beneficial and a life changing experience, but honestly, I feel like if you can find a well paid job without the degree and stress, then why let yourself go through all that?

Hope this helps and makes your decision easier for you
    Although it seems a tad biased, the decision is entirely yours!
    Just be realistic and try to complete your personal statement just in case, I've been struggling to do mine D:

ReputationRep:
    I guess in the end only you can make the decision, a gap year is an amazing chance to go away but then maybe try to find a course you like? Sorry this isn't very helpful!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.