The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i do it!!! so shite!! got the crappy advancing phyics textbook aswell, my god its awful :| me got the a2 modules on thurs, dreading it :frown: just fell asleep learning about gases....
Reply 2
fred86
i do it!!! so shite!! got the crappy advancing phyics textbook aswell, my god its awful :| me got the a2 modules on thurs, dreading it :frown: just fell asleep learning about gases....

Good luck... I know how rubbish the book is :rolleyes:

What's worse is I've also got the official advancing physics revision CD-ROM :rolleyes: Total and utter crubbish

BTW if you want any of it just PM me and ill send it... :smile:
Reply 3
oooh please the exam questions for the a2 part would be very useful please! [email protected]...
Reply 4
oops not sure that address even exists! maqke it [email protected]!
Reply 5
and good luck to u too!
Reply 6
I do it and I love the text book what r u lot on abt. If u just learn all the yellow boxes ur quids in. Coz i'm doing AS 2moro and i did the jan 2004 as a mock and that was the first time of seeing a paper and go an A withoutmuch revision. I dont however like the CD as it has harder questions than u would be asked, it should have more exam style questions. Also i hate the section always fall down on that as i usually get 19/20 for section A and a few away from full on section B its just section c that really pulls me down. though I have now learnt a few answers for 2moro.

Did ne of u go to that revision day at bristol uni in march? It was soo good. Quite fun and intersting and I realised that i actually knew quite alot of the work. The day was much better than other revision lectures that i went to for chemistry organised by philip allan they were rubbish, didnt help me learn and were boring to watch, he just read off a screen. A the physics one however they got ppl involved, had demonstrations and still taught the whole syllabus in a day.
Reply 7
the cd is bollocks too! it's the most inaccessible piece of software ever! it's not proper physics it's like retard physics explained - the book is one long story! where is the maths and the fundamentals?! its tosh!
Reply 8
I'm doing the OCR Advancing Physics course. Have to say that I hate the course text book and CD for both the first and second years. Trying to find anything in either is very annoying.

What's worse are the extra bits in the second year text book that they left in but aren't on the syllabus because of last minute changes.
Reply 9
I'm taking both papers for AS OCR B Physics tomorrow. Looking forward to them. I've been doing well on the past papers and to be honest I find the past papers a better way to learn than the text book. It really does suck.

Good luck everyone :smile:
meawinner
I dont however like the CD as it has harder questions than u would be asked, it should have more exam style questions.

ARe you sure that the revision CD questions arent too easy cos if we get anything like them iam sorted.

I dont know why but i never work in lessons or do any h/w but i still find advancing physics. the only thing you need to revise is the section c
Reply 11
Not the revision CD the course CD that is AS advancing physics 2000.
Reply 12
HELP!! The exam is only in a few hours and I still dont have a definatie answer on this!
The equation linking focal length (f), object distace (u) and image distance (v) is given everywhere as 1/u + 1/v = 1/f EXCEPT our OCRB formula book where it is given as 1/u - 1/v = 1/f!!! Which one shall I use in the exam!? :confused:
thinking about what that formula means, and what i remember from when i did that exam, i think it should be the one ur given in the formula book
my advice is... assume its the one in the formula book, and then when you get in the exam double check the formula book you are given to make sure it wasnt a typo in the copy you have. then if its in the one you're given in the exam its their fault not yours and you cant be penalised!
you could even put " (from formula book) " next to it if you have to use it.
good luck!
Reply 14
I dunno which formula book u've been reading but its given in it as
1/v = 1/u + 1/f
so just use that.
Bu also remember that u is negative
Hi!

I'm doing OCR Advancing Physics as well and, needless to say, that textbook really is crap!

How is everyone fidning the A2 course, how are the past papers going? I'm interested in knowing what the competition is like...

Tom
Reply 16
Well I did the OCR unit 1 as a retake today, I dont know why I find that exam so hard. It didnt seem too bad but there were some bits that troubled me, the internal resistance questions for example.
Ive sat unit 4 and I got a B without revising but other than that I think the course is very straight forward and many of the questions are a case of using common sense.
Also so many of the questions are "proove that" that even if you cant remember the equations you can twist the numbers round for a minute or two and you quickly get the answer.
Thankfully theres no section C in A2.
I hate the OCRB course, and the main reason for that from my perspective is there is no revision book avaliable especially for it.
PS, the exam GAVE the equation 1/v = 1/u + 1/f in the actual paper, (and u wasnt -ve) :tongue:
Reply 17
I do it as well and find both the AS and A2 textbooks fairly useless (though the end of unit summaries are ok). I was a bit miffed at the first module and didn't really see what the advantage of learning about how CD players and fax machines work was, though it was an easy enough exam to sit if you just prepared your answers for section C. I think that I'd have preferred a more rigorous syllabus, even though that would have been more tricky.
I just got back from doing the physics exams. Did unit 1 and 2 today, one after the other.

Found them to be ok overall. Some tricky parts, and of course section C, but that was to be expected - paper 2 I thought was much easier than paper 1. I'm glad there was such a big question on relative and resultant velocities with the boats because I think I managed to get full marks on that. Also, the path of the golf ball was a great question too which I think I managed to get full marks on.

Proving P=I^2*R was easy enough, given that it gave you:
P=IV and V=IR

Also, proving v^2=u^2+2as was a simple because they asked you to rearrange two equations to make t the subject for both, so it was just t=t and rearrange into v^2=u^2+2as.
Reply 19
I just did the Understanding processes paper...

I think it when pretty well..i rekcon i have got ~80/90.

I just wondered if people wanted to add the answers they got to share them about?

I wondered what height people got for the golf ball going in the air.. i thought it was 33.1m but 2 other peopl reckon'd it was closer to 12m.

Latest

Trending

Trending