Turn on thread page Beta

Top universities to study Economics? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which universities would you suggest/recommend for studying Economics? I have a few options already that I'm going to apply to - Warwick, Bath, Birmingham etc.
    But need a couple more? (Preferably not in London, I'm aware LSE is a top uni)!

ReputationRep:
    nottingham

ReputationRep:
    Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say, other than those and outside of London, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Bristol and Nottingham. I think they're all A*AA so make sure your offers are reasonably broad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I'd say, other than those and outside of London, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Bristol and Nottingham. I think they're all A*AA so make sure your offers are reasonably broad.
    Yeah they seem good options. You're right I need to find a couple at maybe AAB requirements to balance it out, Loughborough I probably will apply to but need another (maybe a russell group if possible)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delta-T)
    Yeah they seem good options. You're right I need to find a couple at maybe AAB requirements to balance it out, Loughborough I probably will apply to but need another (maybe a russell group if possible)?
    I think Sheffield, Manchester (BA only!) and Southampton are good options, to name a few. Then there's Lancaster, which is not RG. Of those, I'd say Manchester is the most "prestigious", though I don't know what difference a BA makes with regards to employability.

Make sure you check more universities of similar calibre as their requirements are likely to be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I think Sheffield, Manchester (BA only!) and Southampton are good options, to name a few. Then there's Lancaster, which is not RG. Of those, I'd say Manchester is the most "prestigious", though I don't know what difference a BA makes with regards to employability.

Make sure you check more universities of similar calibre as their requirements are likely to be the same.
    I think I'll apply to Sheffield then. So comparing a BA to a BSc is it just the content varies slightly, ie. BSc is more maths/science/quantitative based??

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll apply to Sheffield then. So comparing a BA to a BSc is it just the content varies slightly, ie. BSc is more maths/science/quantitative based??
    Yes - it appears that the BA is more theoretic in its nature. I really doubt it makes any difference though - you can go into IB with a history degree for instance, so the BA/BSc difference is probably negligible.

ReputationRep:
    University rankings for Economics:
    1) Cambridge
    2) LSE
    3) Warwick
    4) Oxford
    5) UCL
    6) Nottingham
    7) Bristol
    8) Durham
    9) Bath
    10) Exeter

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a BA Economics student at Sheffield University so feel free to ask me any questions.

In the first year, so with BA and BSc there is no real difference in terms of exams/modules, you are mixed together for all lectures/modules apart from 1 module, mathematics: BA students start slowly from the beginning whilst the BSc start further ahead, but by the end of the year when exams start we are at the same stage and sit the same exam.

In years 2 & 3 it differs as BSc have certain compulsory modules whilst BA have optional modules, however as a BA student if you pick all the same modules as the BSc you switch from BA to BSc if that makes sense? But in order for you to pick the same modules as the BSc students you need to get a 2:1 in your first year maths module. So to summarise it, there isn't really a difference until years 2 and 3 when you get optional modules

ReputationRep:

Why the BA only at Manchester?
    They offer a BSc Economics as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    I am currently a BA Economics student at Sheffield University so feel free to ask me any questions.

In the first year, so with BA and BSc there is no real difference in terms of exams/modules, you are mixed together for all lectures/modules apart from 1 module, mathematics: BA students start slowly from the beginning whilst the BSc start further ahead, but by the end of the year when exams start we are at the same stage and sit the same exam.

In years 2 & 3 it differs as BSc have certain compulsory modules whilst BA have optional modules, however as a BA student if you pick all the same modules as the BSc you switch from BA to BSc if that makes sense? But in order for you to pick the same modules as the BSc students you need to get a 2:1 in your first year maths module. So to summarise it, there isn't really a difference until years 2 and 3 when you get optional modules
    Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for the reply. What's Sheffield like? (be honest obviously haha) Do you know if they do a placement year? Also if you don't mind me asking was your predicted/grades exactly what they offered or required for the course?

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for the reply. What's Sheffield like? (be honest obviously haha) Do you know if they do a placement year? Also if you don't mind me asking was your predicted/grades exactly what they offered or required for the course?
    although originally unhappy for not getting into my firm (Nottingham), I am happy I chose Sheffield as insurance, the student accommodation is good, the nightlife is great, the town can be a bit boring during the day, although you mainly spend the day in lectures or at home so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Lecturers are really nice and friendly.
    Placement year defo, they really advise it here!
    Mine was what they offered me, but I know quite a few people on the course who missed their offer and still got in!

One thing though - there are a lot of hills! and the walk from the accommodation to the uni is about 35 minute but you get use to it, plus there is a bus service which is £1 for a single(I enjoy walking and listening to music so i dont mind the walk so Ive never taken the bus, probably will when it snows or rains though cant imagine walking down/up hills then). Another option is choosing city accommodation, but I would advise against that as its not very sociable compared to Endcliffe!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.