Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can do the first part of this question. However the second part has me very confused from the start and the answer makes even less sense to me.

First how does the exponential come into play? What does the theta represent on the e^?

Mark scheme says:

Any assistance is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominicwild)
    I can do the first part of this question. However the second part has me very confused from the start and the answer makes even less sense to me.

First how does the exponential come into play? What does the theta represent on the e^?

Mark scheme says:

Any assistance is appreciated.

If you don't understand the exponential form for complex numbers, you could just keep z in the trigonometric form.
    All you do is replace z and then get rid of the imaginary part on the denominator by multiplying the top and bottom by the complex conjugate. After a bit of simplifying, you should be able to show the result.

Try and do it yourself. If you require any further assistance, just let me know

ReputationRep:
    x
    \displaystyle e^{i \theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta.

There are a variety of method you can use to prove this, such as solving the differential equation

\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d} \theta} = kz and then show that z = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta is a solution to the differential equation with k=i and using the fact that solutions are unique, that we then have e^{i \theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razzor)
    If you don't understand the exponential form for complex numbers, you could just keep z in the trigonometric form.
    All you do is replace z and then get rid of the imaginary part on the denominator by multiplying the top and bottom by the complex conjugate. After a bit of simplifying, you should be able to show the result.

Try and do it yourself. If you require any further assistance, just let me know
    Thanks. I looked up exponential forms of complex numbers and so I now understand where that comes from. I'd never encountered this before, so when it was suddenly thrown out of left field in this question it had me very confused. It was never even mentioned by my lecturer either.

I also managed to solve it without the exponential form.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I looked up exponential forms of complex numbers and so I now understand where that comes from. I'd never encountered this before, so when it was suddenly thrown out of left field in this question it had me very confused. It was never even mentioned by my lecturer either.

I also managed to solve it without the exponential form.
    There various ways of expressing a complex number; in polar coordinate form (in terms of sin and cos) and the exponential form.
    The relationship between the trigonometric form and the exponential form is known as Euler's formula:
     e^{i\theta} = cos\theta + isin\theta

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.