Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BMAT Section 3 (Urgent) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I am struggling with section 3 for the BMAT and I haven't practiced yet. So I did this one question. All I need is feedback, how to improve and a grade (including my English). Thank you

Question:

'A little learning is a dangerous thing'
    Alexander Pope
    Explain what you think the author means by this statement. Advance an argument against the statement above, i.e. in support of the proposition ‘a little learning is not a dangerous thing’. What do you think determines whether or not learning can be a dangerous thing?

My Answer:

This statement argues that learning something little can be dangerous, meaning that having little/no knowledge of something can lead to a dangerous thing, such as people's life at risk of death. Therefore, I will evaluate if learning a little is a dangerous thing or not.

I agree that little learning can be dangerous. This is because learning allows human to increase their knowledge and use it to develop things that can not be dangerous. An example is that when humans started to become more knowledgeable, they were able to make advance technologies in order to save people's live, such as using stem cell to replace damaged tissues or make vaccines to prevent dangerous microorganism attacking our body and immune system. With little learning, humans could have not develop these advance technologies, which then could have been dangerous as we did not know how to cure someone with serous illnesses or trauma. On the other hand, some people may disagree with my point and say that actually the advancement in technology can actually make our life dangerous. Humans are now able to make nuclear weapons that can not only kill us, but can eradicate whole humanity. As a result of this, not also we have the technology to save people, but have it to cause destruction, genocide and war, which is dangerous.

Moreover, learning can make us understand. If we are able to understand about something, it can make us understand how to prevent it if it is a dangerous thing. An example is that when we were able to understand that HIV can be spread by the contacting of blood and human fluid, we were able to understand the action we should take to prevent catching HIV, such as making condoms or prevent people sharing the same needle for a blood test. On the other hand, if people are now aware and understand fully about something, they are able to cause dangerous things, such as someone with HIV may cut themselves and pour it's blood in the juice factory so that other people may catch it. Therefore, learning can make people to understand things that will make them do dangerous actions, such as understanding about how pathogens spread from human to human can then result in something dangerous as someone is able to spread its own pathogen i.e. HIV to someone else.

In my opinion, I believe that it is not about the quantity of someone learning makes things dangerous or not, it's about what they are learning and how they understand it. Therefore, dangerous things can happen only if a specific person understands something and uses it to do wrong decisions which is dangerous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.