Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there guys,

Basically I am in a really tricky situation.
    I have been with my girlfriend for almost 2 years and a half now and we have decided to move in together during our second year of University.
    In order to make things 'better' we decided to get a friend of ours to move in together.

So the original plan was to get a Student house with 3 bedrooms however, everything on the market was just awful and we have found a lovely Private house(still through agency in a way) with 2 massive bedrooms and overall its just superb so we decided to move in so we signed a contract till May 2016.The Rent is 950 and deposit was £2200 so we split that into 3,everyone got their own tenancy agreement and everything was nice and easy until...

It turns out that me and my girlfriend aren't really happy of being together anymore.Each of us feel like we are drifting apart and we both find each other irritating faily often.I want things to be the way they used it be before because of course I still love her but incase that doesn't workout I don't want us to live in the same bedroom for 6 months...

So I must find an alternative if that would be the case.I was wondering of how to sort it out and how does leaving the property earlier would affect my tenancy agreement.personally the best option would be to find a new tenant to replace me however, I share the bedroom with her so that's just impossible.

So lets just say my landlord would allow me to leave earlier due to the circumstances but I would still of course have to be here for a month or two (that's why I am planning in advance).

Could I still ask for my deposit back or to pay my final months with the deposit I paid to start with? Because I don't want almost £750 just to disappear.
    I could use that money to move in somewhere else as I can't go back to my parents house as its too far from University.Nevermind the fact that I cant afford to lose it.

What are the options available?
    Anyone has been in a similar situation?
    Please help me out I am stressing out :I

ReputationRep:
    you are responsible for your portion of the rent unless someone takes it over from you, so basically, between the three of you you need to be paying 950 a month... so I'd assume that in theory you can either replace yourself with another tenant who would then pay their own portion of the deposit, you would get your portion back after you have moved out (you definitely can't get it back before then) and they would take over paying your share of the rent... another possibility would be your GF and the other person splitting the whole rent and paying 475 each, the only issue would be deposit, your landlord may not be happy to alter the tenancy agreements and pay you back your share of the deposit early, or your flatmates may not want to pay any extra into the deposit, in which case you could remain liable for damage after moving out...I'd imagine neither will work very well given you're sharing a room and I'd imagine your flatmates don't want to pay your rent just because you changed your mind.

the likelihood is you will end up stuck in this contract until it ends... there is no way your landlord will let you out of it because you broke up with your girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxxKruse)
    Hello there guys,

Basically I am in a really tricky situation.
    I have been with my girlfriend for almost 2 years and a half now and we have decided to move in together during our second year of University.
    In order to make things 'better' we decided to get a friend of ours to move in together.

So the original plan was to get a Student house with 3 bedrooms however, everything on the market was just awful and we have found a lovely Private house(still through agency in a way) with 2 massive bedrooms and overall its just superb so we decided to move in so we signed a contract till May 2016.The Rent is 950 and deposit was £2200 so we split that into 3,everyone got their own tenancy agreement and everything was nice and easy until...

It turns out that me and my girlfriend aren't really happy of being together anymore.Each of us feel like we are drifting apart and we both find each other irritating faily often.I want things to be the way they used it be before because of course I still love her but incase that doesn't workout I don't want us to live in the same bedroom for 6 months...

So I must find an alternative if that would be the case.I was wondering of how to sort it out and how does leaving the property earlier would affect my tenancy agreement.personally the best option would be to find a new tenant to replace me however, I share the bedroom with her so that's just impossible.

So lets just say my landlord would allow me to leave earlier due to the circumstances but I would still of course have to be here for a month or two (that's why I am planning in advance).

Could I still ask for my deposit back or to pay my final months with the deposit I paid to start with? Because I don't want almost £750 just to disappear.
    I could use that money to move in somewhere else as I can't go back to my parents house as its too far from University.Nevermind the fact that I cant afford to lose it.

check with your contract to see if there is a break clause in the contract- basically saying you can get out after x months, if not then the only way for you not to still be liable for your portion of the rent is for a) you to find someone to take over- basically requiring your gf to move out too, or b) your girlfriend agrees to pay the full rent for the room. I can't see that you will get your deposit back to pay for the rent because then the landlord isn't covered fully for damages. Plus they aren't supposed to release it til the tenancy is over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxxKruse)

Your landlord is not going to let you leave the contract early without finding a tenant replacement. As this new tenant would need to share a bed with your (now ex) GF the chances of you finding someone suitable are very low.

What does your tenancy agreement say about leaving early? Most will let you leave after 6 months with notice.

You won't get the deposit back until the tenancy has ended.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.