Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do a lot of gay people speak / act like this watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know not all do, but a most times I see someone who speaks / acts like this, they turn out to be gay.. So why is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYi_ubZTCBE

ReputationRep:
    it's not true whatsoever, about 1 in 10 gay people are like that. people could be acting like an average human and they could be gy

that's kinda like sayin most muslims are terrorists but they're not because the terrorists give th impression that becaus they're "doing it for god" all muslims are like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmwrighty777)
    it's not true whatsoever, about 1 in 10 gay people are like that. people could be acting like an average human and they could be gy

that's kinda like sayin most muslims are terrorists but they're not because the terrorists give th impression that becaus they're "doing it for god" all muslims are like that
    You can't say that this isn't a stereotype for gay guys. And loads of gay guys do speak like this, Tyler Oakley is another example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigglr)
    You can't say that this isn't a stereotype for gay guys. And loads of gay guys do speak like this, Tyler Oakley is another example
    That's the point, you're picking up on a minority of flamboyant individuals. Most gay people aren't camp, a lot are because it's now a situation of pavlovian social idolisation but the majority of homosexual people aren't camp. Often those who are will be camp because there is a tendency amongst homosexuals to behave in an atypically feminine manor.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we all know lots of guys are effeminate. It's just how they are. This isn't news...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmwrighty777)

that's kinda like sayin most muslims are terrorists
    No... it really isn't. what even.

ReputationRep:
    Its a syndrome affecting the minds of [yet] unborn babies in the womb, they are subject to too much of a hormone that reverses their orientation (disorientation). They have genes to be straight but this is contradicted by a feminized brain ergo the confused mess you see before you in the video.

*estrogen in drinking water*
    *fishes changing sex*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    Its a syndrome affecting the minds of [yet] unborn babies in the womb, they are subject to too much of a hormone that reverses their orientation (disorientation). They have genes to be straight but this is contradicted by a feminized brain ergo the confused mess you see before you in the video.

*fishes changing sex*
    This is speculative science at best. While there has been research on the effects of in utero hormone levels and its potential affects on sexual orientation, the conclusion you're trying to extrapolate (a 'feminized brain' whereby this 'feminized brain' both dictates and necessitates particular gender behaviors) is entirely unsupported.

Firstly, there's no evidence of a 'feminized brain' in gay males. Secondly, even if there were, the 'feminized brain' would only account for sexual orientation. Trying to extrapolate gender data and conclusions from studies on sexual orientation is going way beyond the parameters and surely well outside the permissibly acceptable zone of conjecture.

Gay men show a wide range of gender behaviors, so a 'feminized brain' would be a mislabeled term and secondly wouldn't account for gender behaviors. Even supposing that hormones did have some sort of observable effect on the brain, the only correlative function would be in relation to sexual orientation. Gender behavior would be entirely unrelated.

Secondly, women have a plethora of gender expressions as well and all of them have so-called 'feminized brains'. Trying to extrapolate gender behavior in such situations would prove fruitless.

Basically: This is a bad misunderstanding of contemporary research. Go back to the drawing board.

ReputationRep:
    The concept of 'saliency bias' inevitably applies here.

ReputationRep:

*fishes changing sex*
    Fishes? Where did you learn English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Fishes? Where did you learn English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    England
    http://grammarist.com/usage/fish-fishes/

ReputationRep:
    If you biologically and psychologically inherit the tendencies of the opposite sex, it's not a surprise that you are probably going to better match their personality and interests than one who does not.

It's the same with lesbians, the people who say "If you're a lesbian why are you attracted to people who look like men" (there's sadly a lot of them) fail to realise that actually that's anything but true... they are just more likely to be attracted to other lesbians with the same interests, most of the time being testosterone driven behaviour such as working out and playing sports. So yes of course they are often going to often end up/be the girls with buffer builds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    This is speculative science at best. While there has been research on the effects of in(1) utero hormone levels and its potential affects on sexual orientation, the conclusion you're trying to extrapolate (a 'feminized brain' whereby this 'feminized brain' both dictates and necessitates particular gender behaviors) is entirely unsupported.

Firstly, there's no evidence of a 'feminized brain' in gay males. Secondly, even if there were, the 'feminized brain' would only account for sexual orientation. (3)Trying to extrapolate gender data and conclusions from studies on sexual orientation is going way beyond the parameters and surely well outside the permissibly acceptable zone of conjecture.

(2)Gay men show a wide range of gender behaviors, so a 'feminized brain' would be a mislabeled term and secondly wouldn't account for gender behaviors. Even supposing that hormones did have some sort of observable effect on the brain, the only correlative function would be in relation to sexual orientation. Gender behavior would be entirely unrelated.

(4)Secondly, women have a plethora of gender expressions as well and all of them have so-called 'feminized brains'. Trying to extrapolate gender behavior in such situations would prove fruitless.

Basically: This is a bad misunderstanding of contemporary research. Go back to the drawing board.
    Your post contains all sorts of wrongs on many levels i cant even pick them all out. The first line of this piece of research from Berkley more or less defeats everything you present as an 'argument' here http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...-29-2000a.html
    (1) utero hormone levels and its potential affects on sexual orientation - Well yes this has been demonstrated by Prof M.Breedlove on the epi genetic level.
    (2)Gay men show a wide range of gender behaviors - Possibly but OP was only asking about the ones in the video; not the fapp material in your brain. (3)Trying to extrapolate gender data and conclusions from studies on sexual orientation is going way beyond the parameters - In your opinion maybe, your perhaps missing the obvious Elephant in the room which is the question is about gay men and finding a link to suspect behavior patterns so that dictates the start point. I know years of bullying has made you sensitive and hightend your persecution complex but dont deny the issue because you cant defend it. (4)Secondly, women have a plethora of gender expressions as well and all of them have so-called 'feminized brains'. Trying to extrapolate gender behavior in such situations would prove fruitless - Really?? how would you Lesbians fit that proposition??

ReputationRep:
    (1) utero hormone levels and its potential affects on sexual orientation - Well yes this has been demonstrated by Prof M.Breedlove on the epi genetic level.
    I am aware of the research. However, sexual orientation and gender, and how gender is expressed, are entirely different things. You're attempting to extrapolate gender behavior from sexual orientation.

(2)Gay men show a wide range of gender behaviors - Possibly but OP was only asking about the ones in the video; not the fapp material in your brain.
    (1) You've been reported for insults. If you cannot respond in mature way, TSR is not the place for you.

(2) It doesn't matter what he was asking about. If you're claiming that hormones that affect sexual orientation and extrapolating that is also affect gender behavior, then your argument needs to also account for the vast number of gay men who have 'feminized brains' (because they're gay, this would be the condition of the hormone argument and its affects on sexual orientation) who fail to show the behavior you're claiming follows from this 'feminized brain'.

(3)Trying to extrapolate gender data and conclusions from studies on sexual orientation is going way beyond the parameters - In your opinion maybe, your perhaps missing the obvious Elephant in the room which is the question is about gay men and finding a link to suspect behavior patterns so that dictates the start point. I know years of bullying has made you sensitive and hightend your persecution complex but dont deny the issue because you cant defend it.
    (1) Again, if you cannot respond maturely, then TSR isn't for you.

(2) Yet again, your argument cannot account for these 'suspect behavior patterns.' If it's the result of the 'feminized brain', as you're claiming, then all gay men should display this behavior. The problem is that they don't. In fact, a majority don't. Thus, it must be something else that affects gender expression.

(4)Secondly, women have a plethora of gender expressions as well and all of them have so-called 'feminized brains'. Trying to extrapolate gender behavior in such situations would prove fruitless - Really?? how would you Lesbians fit that proposition??
    That actually support my proposition that a 'sexed brain' doesn't determine gender in the way you're claiming.

Your a basic... Go back to your coloring book.
    You're* I'm doubting your ability to analyze and critique arguments if you cannot use the correct syntax to insult someone.

ReputationRep:
    They soften their voice to sound like women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    I am aware of the research. However, sexual orientation and gender, and how gender is expressed, are entirely different things.
    No, they're not 'entirely different things', hence the high number of effeminate gay men / tomboy or butch lesbian women compared to the heterosexual population

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    What the.. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    i can and i will say it. I'm gay ffs an i don't speak like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    No, they're not 'entirely different things', hence the high number of effeminate gay men / tomboy or butch lesbian women compared to the heterosexual population
    They are entirely different things. One is to which sex I am attracted, the other is how I effectuate my gender identity. Perhaps there are a high number of gay men due to the socialization of gender, we have no idea.

Additionally, even if there were a casual relationship between the two, they would still be entirely different things as one is 'gender expression' and the other 'sexual orientation'. Which are entirely different concepts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    What the..

(I had the same response as Planta's, so I'll just reiterate his post.)

(Original post by driftawaay)
    Perhaps "distinctly different things" would have been a more apt term to use.

Also to NYU2012.

(If people see my line of thinking here.)

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.