Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in early twenties, I have never asked a girl out, and I don't know how other guys do it.
    Every day I see some girls at university or elsewhere that I would like to ask out, but... do other guys just go and talk to girls they have just met? Would it not be weird? Some guy approaching a girl, making small talk, then asking her out?
    I don't think this is the way it works, I don't see other guys doing it, it certainly is not comfortable, but then, I can't see any other way.
    How did others met their bf/gf?

Is it the case with most people that the guy gets to know the girl and after some time asks her out? It seems like a good way, except it doesn't work, since I don't see many people on a regular basis to get to know them. Even if I did, wouldn't it severely limit your dating pool, just dating girls you meet regularly?
    I'm not often at parties, and when we get together it's usually a small gathering of friends. Meeting a girl through other friends hasn't happened either.

I'm not good at coming up with topics for conversation, but I don't have a problem talking to people I see in the few classes that I have. I honestly don't know in what situation asking a girl out can happen. And it's really bothering me, since I see girls every day in library, at university, outside on the street, everywhere! that I would like to ask out, but I just can't think of a comfortable, natural way of doing it.

Also, imagine I've asked a girl out. If the first date goes well, nor bad neither excellent, I think we're supposed to meet again (isn't that what the other person expects after an OK/good first date?), and then meet again, and then become bf/gf? And then I will forever be together with the first person I ever dated!

P.S. If I actually go out with a girl, I hope it wouldn't be awkward because it would be my first time being intimate with a girl, but she probably has been in relationships in the past.

Someone must have something to say. What is the flaw in my thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Just ask them out , whats the worst that could happen.....they'll say no ! good luck

(Original post by XxHolly96xX)
    Just ask them out , whats the worst that could happen.....they'll say no ! good luck
    Do most guys just walk up to strangers and ask them out?
    It's a bit uncomfortable doing so.

ReputationRep:
    well not total strangers haha.
    Do you ever go on nights out? clubbing ?
    its easier to meet people there as its more easy to speak to girls , especially if you've had a few drinks haha ;')
    if you start talking to a guy , before you leave just ask her for her number , but dont text her straight away leave it till like the next day so it dont seem so desperate

ReputationRep:
    girl*

ReputationRep:
    They can cry rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurtle)
    They can cry rape.
    haha doubt that would happen

well not total strangers haha.
    Do you ever go on nights out? clubbing ?
    its easier to meet people there as its more easy to speak to girls , especially if you've had a few drinks haha ;'
    if you start talking to a guy , before you leave just ask her for her number , but dont text her straight away leave it till like the next day so it dont seem so desperate
    I don't go clubbing. Is that the only way?
    (Plus, that would be with strangers as well)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't go clubbing. Is that the only way?
    (Plus, that would be with strangers as well)
    Dating Sites??

ReputationRep:
    I'm in early twenties, I have never asked a girl out, and I don't know how other guys do it.
    Every day I see some girls at university or elsewhere that I would like to ask out, but... do other guys just go and talk to girls they have just met? Would it not be weird? Some guy approaching a girl, making small talk, then asking her out?
    I don't think this is the way it works, I don't see other guys doing it, it certainly is not comfortable, but then, I can't see any other way.
    How did others met their bf/gf?

Is it the case with most people that the guy gets to know the girl and after some time asks her out? It seems like a good way, except it doesn't work, since I don't see many people on a regular basis to get to know them. Even if I did, wouldn't it severely limit your dating pool, just dating girls you meet regularly?
    I'm not often at parties, and when we get together it's usually a small gathering of friends. Meeting a girl through other friends hasn't happened either.

I'm not good at coming up with topics for conversation, but I don't have a problem talking to people I see in the few classes that I have. I honestly don't know in what situation asking a girl out can happen. And it's really bothering me, since I see girls every day in library, at university, outside on the street, everywhere! that I would like to ask out, but I just can't think of a comfortable, natural way of doing it.

Also, imagine I've asked a girl out. If the first date goes well, nor bad neither excellent, I think we're supposed to meet again (isn't that what the other person expects after an OK/good first date?), and then meet again, and then become bf/gf? And then I will forever be together with the first person I ever dated!
    Ha I have the same problem I just don't know how to go about it either and have a non existent social life and not the most sociable person btw dating sites don't even work for men

ReputationRep:
    haha doubt that would happen
    Very unlikely. I was being somewhat hyperbolic, but it does happen, like many awful things.

Dating Sites??
    No real life solution? Am I approaching this whole thing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    No real life solution? Am I approaching this whole thing wrong?
    well i dont know...what is your social life like?

ReputationRep:
    you need exposure therapy, soon you will be rejected to the point it doesn't even matter anymore, and you'll become immune to the "pain" eventually someone will say yes

good luck : )

(Original post by ednut)

Ha I have the same problem I just don't know how to go about it either and have a non existent social life and not the most sociable person
    I have friends that I meet, and I enjoy their company. But the gf thing is missing in my life and it's bothering me, and I don't really know how to change this.

Do you work/ go to university ...?

(Original post by selfteaching)
    you need exposure therapy, soon you will be rejected to the point it doesn't even matter anymore, and you'll become immune to the "pain" eventually someone will say yes

good luck : )
    The silly thing is that I'm not alone because I've been rejected. But because I haven't even asked any girl out.
    And if you read my first post, I have explained what is my problem.

ReputationRep:
    The silly thing is that I'm not alone because I've been rejected. But because I haven't even asked any girl out.
    And if you read my first post, I have explained what is my problem.
    then you misunderstood me

asking girls out doesn't mean they will say yes, so you need to actually expose yourself to the situation and not be afraid to approach.
    then you will get a mixture of rejections/ acceptances

...so if you aren't scared of being rejected, what's holding you back from asking.

ReputationRep:
    I have friends that I meet, and I enjoy their company. But the gf thing is missing in my life and it's bothering me, and I don't really know how to change this.

Do you work/ go to university ...?
    I just work

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.