Turn on thread page Beta

Writing emails. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im starting to think about courses and universities that i would like to apply for in september. I want to email admissions to find out a bit more about the courses, subjects that i should take ,grades etc but I do not know how to write a formal email(sounds very retarded.) All the emails that I have sent before have just been to friends and I basically write them in the same style as a text message(informal but good english.) How should i address the email if i actually do not know who I am sending it to? Would 'dear admissions' be appropriate?
    Thanks for your help. Ann.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    Im starting to think about courses and universities that i would like to apply for in september. I want to email admissions to find out a bit more about the courses, subjects that i should take ,grades etc but I do not know how to write a formal email(sounds very retarded.) All the emails that I have sent before have just been to friends and I basically write them in the same style as a text message(informal but good english.) How should i address the email if i actually do not know who I am sending it to? Would 'dear admissions' be appropriate?
    just write it the way you write a normal formal letter

ReputationRep:
    The way that i start formal letters are:

To whom this may concern

and put yours faithfully (formal)
    and yours sincerely (informal)

ReputationRep:
    Surely all the information in your post (courses, subjects, grades) is in the prospectus? It's probably better to email admissions about specific requirements nearer September.

ReputationRep:
    i would say something like

'dear sir/madam,

i am interested in studying at your university from this september and would be grateful for any information you could send me regarding ........ and the courses you run related to this.

then at the end say yours sincerely, miss ......... with your e-mail or a contact number under it.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    and put yours faithfully (formal)
    and yours sincerely (informal)
    That is incorrect. If you know the person you are writing to, you close the letter with "Yours Sincerely", or variants (ie Dear Mr. Brown.... Sincerely Yours,). If you don't know the person you are writing to, you close with "Yours Faithfully" (ie Dear Sir/To Whom It May Concern ... Yours Faithfully). That Informal/formal distinction you mention might be an americanism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?m?xblack)
    That is incorrect. If you know the person you are to, you close the letter with "Yours Sincerely", or variants (ie Dear Mr. Brown.... Sincerely Yours,). If you don't know the person you are < to, you close with "Yours Faithfully" (ie Dear Sir/To Whom It May Concern ... Yours Faithfully). That Informal/formal distinction you mention might be an americanism.
    :confused:

formal is official, lol

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't bother being formal, as a few months ago - i wrote a long, articulate, well planned and rather formal email to the head of the depeartment for the course i was applying for - i thought about it for ages and planned it -

and all i got back was a one sentence reply,

i felt like sending him something rather rude

ReputationRep:
    go for the exact same format u would use in a formal typed letter. Most of the emails i got back from unis were in this style.

Also u might want to think about phoning them, they seem to like this, at the durham law dept on the open day they told us they take a note of who they've been in contact with. For competitive courses letting them know ur interested at an early date is good for ur application.

What courses and unis are u thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:

formal is official, lol
    You're wrong; Dear Sir is no more formal than Dear Mr Brown. The only difference is that in the latter you know to whom you are writing.

ReputationRep:
    You're wrong; Dear Sir is no more formal than Dear Mr Brown. The only difference is that in the latter you know to whom you are writing.

what is your definition of formal/informal?
    You've confused me...

ReputationRep:

what is your definition of formal/informal?
    You've confused me...
    Gee .. it's not that complicated. Re-read my last posts, you'll get it in a few minutes, I'm sure.

Formal is quite hard to define; you'll understand better with a couple of examples...
    I'd write a formal letter to the queen thanking her for the invitation.
    I'd write an informal letter to my brother catching up on news.

Formality is not affected by whether you know the recipient.

ReputationRep:
    Gee .. Formality is not affected by whether you know the recipient.
    That's strange...i thought it was lol:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    go for the exact same format u would use in a formal typed letter. Most of the emails i got back from unis were in this style.

Also u might want to think about phoning them, they seem to like this, at the durham law dept on the open day they told us they take a note of who they've been in contact with. For competitive courses letting them know ur interested at an early date is good for ur application.

What courses and unis are u thinking of applying to?
    Im thinking of geography at Durham,St Andrews,Exeter or Edinburgh. The main reason i want to contact them is to see how they view my set of subjects this year.

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of geography at Durham,St Andrews,Exeter or Edinburgh. The main reason i want to contact them is to see how they view my set of subjects this year.
    em i can see from ur profile that ur highers are perfect for geography. you'll prob need AAAAB to get into durham safely i think, possibly u'll be alright with AAABB though. My mates got an edin unconditional from AAABC at higher. St andrews should be even easier than that.

If your going to get AAAAB/AAAAA u might as well apply to oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    write clear, short and precise letter to the tutor. and don't worry about the possbility that you may cause a bad impression.

remeber plain style is preferable.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    Don't email the general admissions address then

Durham:
    Mrs Sharon Gibson
    Secretary for admissions. Sharon should be your first port of call for any queries in our admissions process. She can be contacted by telephone on: +44 (0)191 334 1883 or by e-mail at: [email protected]. Sharon has been our admissions secretary in the Department for the last 5 years and has a lot of experience; hence she can help with most of your queries.
    http://www.geography.dur.ac.uk/under...dmissions.html

St Andrews
    Admissions contacts
    Geography: Dr Charles Warren: [email protected]
    Geoscience: Dr Ruth Robinson: [email protected]
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/gg/AboutUS/contactus.shtml

Exeter
    Undergraduate Admissions Tutors

BA & IDSH programmes
    Dr. Richard Jones
    [email protected]
    01392 263251

BSc programmes
    Dr Peter Langdon
    [email protected]
    01392 264443
    http://www.ex.ac.uk/geography/staff/contacts.html

Edinburgh
    They don't seem to provide specific email contacts
    However the overiding school says to contact "Teaching organisation" in relation to all undergrad queries including admissions:
    Teaching Organisation
    Head: Dr Graham Russell: [email protected]
    Deputy Head: Dr Roger Scrutton: [email protected]
    Manager: Ms Rachael Atherton: [email protected]
    Deputy Manager: Mrs Sally West: [email protected]

(I'd suggest starting with sally west)
    http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/contacts/
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    Oh and if you're looking for a few prospectuses (or however it's spelt) then the link in my sig takes you to a page where you can order as many as you like all at once and they'll all be delivered to your door.

ReputationRep:
    In all honest I recommend not emailing them at all. Theyre entirely unhelpful about everything and anything. Dont even go down the subject area of grades, if you ask about the grade requirements theyll just say 'Youll be made an offer if youre application is deemed good enough' or whatever...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.