Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out and starting fresh from next year -- Help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently enrolled as a first year business student at the City University of Hong Kong. Unfortunately, due to various reasons and circumstances I have chosen to leave this university after the first semester with a wish to start my studies fresh in the UK from September 2016. I have taken a gap year last year, so quitting this uni is a pretty big and stressful choice for me as it will technically be my second year off school, nevertheless i've got some useful things planned before school would start again.

I've got a couple of questions regarding my UCAS application and how to deal with this matter:
    Firstly, should I include my time at this university in my personal statement? I think it is a great experience and should be included, but I don't want to send the wrong message to universities. I would have to say that it was an amazing experience, but I had to leave due to unforeseen circumstances (or something along those lines) and wish to continue university education in the UK from next year.

Secondly, in the UCAS application itself, do I have to list this university under education if I've been here only for one semester? It would have to be only from 2015 to 2015.

Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gusty)
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently enrolled as a first year business student at the City University of Hong Kong. Unfortunately, due to various reasons and circumstances I have chosen to leave this university after the first semester with a wish to start my studies fresh in the UK from September 2016. I have taken a gap year last year, so quitting this uni is a pretty big and stressful choice for me as it will technically be my second year off school, nevertheless i've got some useful things planned before school would start again.

I've got a couple of questions regarding my UCAS application and how to deal with this matter:
    Firstly, should I include my time at this university in my personal statement? I think it is a great experience and should be included, but I don't want to send the wrong message to universities. I would have to say that it was an amazing experience, but I had to leave due to unforeseen circumstances (or something along those lines) and wish to continue university education in the UK from next year.

Secondly, in the UCAS application itself, do I have to list this university under education if I've been here only for one semester? It would have to be only from 2015 to 2015.

Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated.
    Yes, you have to list it. Don't put it in your ps unless it is relevant to the course you are applying for now. You can ask your referee to explain anything about having to leave that needs to be explained. Your ps should be a positive statement about your interest in, and suitability for, the new course, not a negative reference to the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Yes, you have to list it. Don't put it in your ps unless it is relevant to the course you are applying for now. You can ask your referee to explain anything about having to leave that needs to be explained. Your ps should be a positive statement about your interest in, and suitability for, the new course, not a negative reference to the past.
    Won't it be a little suspicious if they see it on my ucas but no mention in the personal statement?

I've come up with this paragraph: "I’m currently enrolled as a 1st year business student at the City University of HongKong, which is an invaluable experience of such a different culture and learning environment. However, due to unfortunate family circumstances I will be returning home after the first semester and I wish to start school from September in the UK. The UK represents a natural learning environment for me, having been educated in English schools my whole life. I am looking forward to making the most of the close contact with tutors and lecturers that the British system endorses."

Do you still think that I shouldn't include this and instead ask my referee to mention it in the reference?

Thank you for your answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gusty)
    Won't it be a little suspicious if they see it on my ucas but no mention in the personal statement?

I've come up with this paragraph: "I’m currently enrolled as a 1st year business student at the City University of HongKong, which is an invaluable experience of such a different culture and learning environment. However, due to unfortunate family circumstances I will be returning home after the first semester and I wish to start school from September in the UK. The UK represents a natural learning environment for me, having been educated in English schools my whole life. I am looking forward to making the most of the close contact with tutors and lecturers that the British system endorses."

Do you still think that I shouldn't include this and instead ask my referee to mention it in the reference?

It's ok, not great. Anyway you probably have to rewrite it now. Just focus on th course your applying to and the particular modules you want to study.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gusty)

Don't put that on your PS, you'd be wasting space for relevant information. The universities will know you left CUHK early - there's no need to repeat yourself.

If you really want it mentioned, ask your referee to write 1-2 sentences about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.