A lot of NHS workers my mum knows say it is

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2.../17/nhs-health

I'm not sure though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)

I'm not sure though?
    Name a better alternative. I'm happy with it, always served me well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    Name a better alternative. I'm happy with it, always served me well.
    Have you used healthcare in other countries? Unfortunately I haven't

ReputationRep:
    I have not been in a position to need to use healthcare in other countries. However from the description of the US health system from my American friends, the NHS seems better.

ReputationRep:
    According to the news, it's understaffed, over budget, workers always under pressure to meet targets that they fail to meet targets etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I have not been in a position to need to use healthcare in other countries. However from the description of the US health system from my American friends, the NHS seems better.
    Well there are alternatives to the NHS/America.

I heard it's really good in countries like Sweden but they pay loads of tax

ReputationRep:
    International comparisons are problematic. I would say its good value cosidering how much tax payers money is spent on it (vs insurance conributions in insuance based systems) but the NHS does face problems.

I'm not sure though?
    The question is too vague: it largely depends on what criteria one uses for determining which healthcare system is the best. The NHS tends to score highly in independent comparisons of the healthcare systems of developed countries but only on the criteria typically used in these surveys, of course. So I suppose the answer is: it is if you'd like to think of it that way. You could find evidence and stats to both support and refute the proposition.

ReputationRep:
    Not if you're super rich, then it's private all the way. But I think for Joe Bloggs it's much better than the most commonly proposed alternative: getting insurance America style.

(Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Not if you're super rich, then it's private all the way. But I think for Joe Bloggs it's much better than the most commonly proposed alternative: getting insurance America style.
    Or getting insurance Europe style. I doubt there are many people outside America who openly advocate switching to the American style of healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    While British newspapers always seem to point to the NHS being the best, the WHO puts it as 18th. With Italy, Spain and Greece all being higher.

The NHS is simply unlikely to be the best.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    This is the biggest problem with debates over healthcare in the UK. It seems to go we either have the NHS or some American dystopia hell hole where hospitals will turf out those without money or insurance to die in the streets. We need a more nuanced debate looking at how comparable countries like France, Germany or the Scandinavian nations do healthcare.

That being said, the NHS is very cost effective and gets huge benefits when it comes to things like procurement of drugs due to its size. But it appears to be becoming more and more unaffordable given the demands placed upon it.

(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    While British newspapers always seem to point to the NHS being the best, the WHO puts it as 18th. With Italy, Spain and Greece all being higher.

Do you have a source? The last WHO ranking I saw was from 2000,fairly useless for comparison today.

ReputationRep:
    The only one i know that ive used is the HSE (here in Ireland) but its modeled after the NHS but unless you have a medical card (free treatment) you do pay for your services but the amount you pay is capped.

But i agree there has to be alternative from total privatisation and keeping it as its going as it is (which is ultimately unsustainable)

ReputationRep:
    People who've used both tell me Germany has a better system... which is based on compulsory insurance.

The NHS is embarrassingly bad in several areas, early detection of cancer is poor here, also remember that Ashya King story? why are British people having to go to Prague for proton beam therapy?

(Original post by Aj12)
    This is the biggest problem with debates over healthcare in the UK. It seems to go we either have the NHS or some American dystopia hell hole where hospitals will turf out those without money or insurance to die in the streets. We need a more nuanced debate looking at how comparable countries like France, Germany or the Scandinavian nations do healthcare.
    This.

Do you have a source? The last WHO ranking I saw was from 2000,fairly useless for comparison today.
    What, for my claim that most people outside of America wouldn't really advocate a switch to American-style healthcare? Not really. It's just conjecture based on experience and I certainly wouldn't mention it in more formal contexts because it's possibly assuming too much about what people want or, rather, what they want to look like. In this country especially, it's very much seen as lack of compassion if you swear anything less than unthinking, unconditional commitment to the NHS -- it's pretty much a social stigma not to unless you're very selective about who you hang out with.

I do think you're right about the immature nature of the debate on healthcare in this country though. It's regrettable that the NHS has become more or less a state religion and people would rather avoid the question of whether what they're really after is good healthcare or to preserve this one particular healthcare provider for eternity no matter what the cost.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    This.

What, for my claim that most people outside of America wouldn't really advocate a switch to American-style healthcare? Not really. It's just conjecture based on experience and I certainly wouldn't mention it in more formal contexts because it's possibly assuming too much about what people want or, rather, what they want to look like. In this country especially, it's very much seen as lack of compassion if you swear anything less than unthinking, unconditional commitment to the NHS -- it's pretty much a social stigma not to unless you're very selective about who you hang out with.

I do think you're right about the immature nature of the debate on healthcare in this country though. It's regrettable that the NHS has become more or less a state religion and people would rather avoid the question of whether what they're really after is good healthcare or to preserve this one particular healthcare provider for eternity no matter what the cost.
    Misquote there my bad.

I agree with what you've said here though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)

Italy have poured an absolute tonne of money into the healthcare system over the past few years because it used to be so truly awful.

It's still absolutely crap in parts of Southern Italy though

ReputationRep:
    The simple answer is no.

There are a number of European states which have better health outcomes and lower mortality rates. While the NHS is very cost efficient we still have a lot of waste and when you factor in unfunded liabilities I'd wager that the Europeans would beat us too.

Unfortunately the left in the UK seem blind to anything but a pure government funded NHS or American insurance when the evidence seems to suggest that Blair's internal market improved the NHS and that social insurance of the type we have in Europe is superior.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. The French system is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    There will be better care provided in some private healthcare systems, but the fact that the NHS is for everyone and is FREE, it IS the best and our nurses and doctors should be taken care of more.

It does have its issues though, I have a relative who is a nurse and the biggest struggles the NHS has is bad management, and red tape everywhere that makes simple tasks difficult.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.