Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi maths experts, Ok so i came across this question and I came up with an answer, idk if it's correct. i got 150.2587..
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User23)
    Hi maths experts, Ok so i came across this question and I came up with an answer, idk if it's correct. i got 150.2587..
    Would you like to show some working so that we can see where you went wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I got something near the high 90s around 97.something - but I did that without pen & paper.

I got a different answer. I'm not supposed to give full answers so I'll try to guide you.

What do you think the first step is? Talk us through the working and we'll see where you went wrong.

(Original post by nucdev)
    I got something near the high 90s around 97.something - but I did that without pen & paper.
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
    Would you like to show some working so that we can see where you went wrong?
    Oh damn it's wrong?! Ok, so this was my working out:
    So since the area of the square is 84.5cm^2 i square rooted this to get the sides and this gave me 9.1923.. then i assumed that the height of the trapezium is 9.1923 and to find out the longer length of the trapezium i did 11.75+9.1923..= 20.9423 then i used 1/2(a+b)h so, 1/2(11.75+20.9423)9.1923 which gave me 150.2587

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    HOW?

ReputationRep:
    Ok i got it i got it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hydeman)
    same.
    i got 97.4981!!!

ReputationRep:
    i got 97.4981!!!
    Excellent - around about what I got.

i got 97.4981!!!
    Nice one! Did you you round the awkward number you get by square rooting 84.5? It later gives a clean 1 d.p. number when you use trigonometry and the final answer I got was exactly 97.5 cm2 although yours is so close that I don't think any examiner would care.

Edit: Out of interest, what level is this? Is it GCSE, A Level, or one of the Scottish/Irish equivalents of those?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Nice one! Did you you round the awkward number you get by square rooting 84.5? It later gives a clean 1 d.p. number when you use trigonometry and the final answer I got was exactly 97.5 cm2 although yours is so close that I don't think any examiner would care.
    Yeah that's probably what she did - I did that as well only because I had a basic calculator and no pen & paper and got a long decimal.

ReputationRep:

Edit: Out of interest, what level is this? Is it GCSE, A Level, or one of the Scottish/Irish equivalents of those?
    This is from the 2014 Maths II Westminster 13+ scholarship entry paper.

You can find them here: https://www.westminster.org.uk/admis...hips-bursaries (scroll to the bottom)

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn it's wrong?! Ok, so this was my working out:
    So since the area of the square is 84.5cm^2 i square rooted this to get the sides and this gave me 9.1923.. then i assumed that the height of the trapezium is 9.1923 and to find out the longer length of the trapezium i did 11.75+9.1923..= 20.9423 then i used 1/2(a+b)h so, 1/2(11.75+20.9423)9.1923 which gave me 150.2587
    This was your mistake I think. That length is of the hypotenuse of the triangle, not of the other sides. So a little trigonometry is in order. Or Pythagoras.

I also got about 97.5 cm^2.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  working out.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  71.5 KB
    I know you've already figured it out, but here's my solution anyway

(Original post by boojiebaba)
    This is from the 2014 Maths II Westminster 13+ scholarship entry paper.

You can find them here: https://www.westminster.org.uk/admis...hips-bursaries (scroll to the bottom)
    Ah, alright. So it's roughly GCSE-level. I've already finished school so not much good for me, I'm afraid. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I was late again :argh:

(Original post by Imperion)
    I was late again :argh:
    I feel your pain. :console:

Whenever I'm on a study help thread, there's always that pressure to solve it as quickly as possible so I don't end up having to delete my answer because five other people have already explained it. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain. :console:

Whenever I'm on a study help thread, there's always that pressure to solve it as quickly as possible so I don't end up having to delete my answer because five other people have already explained it. :lol:
    :laugh: The one time I was early the OP didn't word the title correctly. -_-

ReputationRep:
    I also have the consensus answer. Just be sure not to confuse the height of a trapezium (in this case, equivalent to length XY) with the the side equivalent to length AD.

Congrats on getting the answer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.