Turn on thread page Beta

UCAS Statement Personal Statement 47 lines??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Okay, so basically I've spent my day writing my personal statement and when I checked how many lines and characters I had I was pretty upset, I had around 5000 characters and 70ish lines. That was fine, I sucked it up and tried to cut it down, but I seriously can't cut it down to 47 lines without cutting out all the black spaces between my paragraphs.

I really don't know what to do. Do you guys think it will affect my chances in anyway if I don't have paragraphs?

I ended up splitting my PS in 3 parts, the introduction (why the subject interests me, my passion in the subject, etc.), then part two is the academics (experience, achievements, grades, charity, etc.) and my last part is the conclusion (what I can offer the uni, what my future plans are).

Do you guys think that's okay???

ReputationRep:
    I think as long as you have a difference in line length it counts as a paragraph. For example this :

Blablabla

Blablabla

Is the same as:

Blababla.
    Blablablablablabla

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried putting it into UCAS to check first? I used size 11 font and had 48 lines but when I put it all into UCAS I was under the line limit by 3 lines.

Also, the reason they have a limit is because they don't want to be sat there for half an hour reading through your life story. They just want to know why you want to do the course and what have you done that relates to your course. They have a lot of other applications to go through as well; not just yours! Keep it organised so it's easy to read and keep it flowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I tried the different paragraph one, but UCAS doesn't let me save.

And also yeah I wrote way over the limit, but I read through the statement and found ways to shorten it. But one question I have is, since they have our grades in the application already, do I still have to write about them? If I can cut out the grades paragraph, it would really cut down the personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajsg98)
    Alright, I tried the different paragraph one, but UCAS doesn't let me save.

And also yeah I wrote way over the limit, but I read through the statement and found ways to shorten it. But one question I have is, since they have our grades in the application already, do I still have to write about them? If I can cut out the grades paragraph, it would really cut down the personal statement.
    I didn't mention anything about my grades, and nor did any of my friends. As you said, they'll be on the application form anyway so I think it's just a waste of space. I did however retake year 12 so I did briefly mention why I retook the year, but I didn't mention anything about my grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajsg98)
    Hi guys,

Okay, so basically I've spent my day writing my personal statement and when I checked how many lines and characters I had I was pretty upset, I had around 5000 characters and 70ish lines. That was fine, I sucked it up and tried to cut it down, but I seriously can't cut it down to 47 lines without cutting out all the black spaces between my paragraphs.

I really don't know what to do. Do you guys think it will affect my chances in anyway if I don't have paragraphs?

I ended up splitting my PS in 3 parts, the introduction (why the subject interests me, my passion in the subject, etc.), then part two is the academics (experience, achievements, grades, charity, etc.) and my last part is the conclusion (what I can offer the uni, what my future plans are).

Do you guys think that's okay???
    I didn't use paragraphs and I've been receiving offers-you should be fine

Also have you tried replacing ands with commas where possible? or missing out bits that you can get your reference to include? or only including your most impressive achievements?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You definitely don't need to talk about your grades. In fact, you don't need to talk about your A Levels at all as that won't set you apart from other applicants - focus on your interests in your course outside what you do at college

ReputationRep:
    I hit the 47 line limit before the 4000 characters i had to take out all the spaces in the end to make it fit even after cutting loads out!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.