The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moodicrus
Hey guys, quick tip for the UKCAT, just sat it today, Verbal reasoning is usually my best but it was soooo hard. Far fewer 'true false cant tell' a LOT more of the longer ones so just be prepared! Don't dwindle too much on one question but keep moving. If you get stressed during VR the use decision making as a little break bc it doesn't count towards our final grade, and always guess, even if you dont know it, just put an answer and flag it ( Alt-F is a lot quicker to flag stuff btw). GOOD LUCK!

Any tips on Quantitative reasoning? apart from getting used to the calculator provided. Also have you got any sites that might help me prepare?
Whats considered a bad ukcat score? Anything below the average of 633?
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
Any tips on Quantitative reasoning? apart from getting used to the calculator provided. Also have you got any sites that might help me prepare?

I struggle with QR as well but my friend told me tip where you just skip all the hard questions and flag them for review (just guess and go for hard qs) do the easy questions first and then come back to it if you have time there no point wasting time doing the hard qs when they are worth the same marks as the easy ones.

remember the hard qs are there to trip you up just have to guesstimate
My friend did this he still got 800 which is impressive
Original post by Roman hang Limbu

Hi Roman hang Limbu

In addition to getting used the calculator you should look for hard questions and skip these immediately, there is no point wasting valuable time.

If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation, then I would count that as a hard question.

When moving on, always have a guess at the answer as there is no negative marking. Then make sure that flag it incase you find you have extra time at the end.

Hope that is useful.

Let me know if you have any questions we can answer... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions
Original post by medstudent1010
Hey I'm a current offer holder for medicine at qmul.So feel free to ask any questions.

Well Done for the offer!! May i know what grades you were predicted and your ukcat score... i, not sure if my predicted grades are good enough or not and im going to take my ukcat in 2 weeks
Original post by Chillipaneerii
Well Done for the offer!! May i know what grades you were predicted and your ukcat score... i, not sure if my predicted grades are good enough or not and im going to take my ukcat in 2 weeks

Thank you! I was predicted 4A*'s and 1A, my ukcat was on the lower side with a 637.5 average,just shows you the ukcat isn't everything.Good luck with your ukcat!What are your predicted grades?Dont forget a high ukcat can balance out a lower UCAS tarrif and vise versa.
Thank you! I was predicted 4A*'s and 1A, my ukcat was on the lower side with a 637.5 average,just shows you the ukcat isn't everything.Good luck with your ukcat!What are your predicted grades?Dont forget a high ukcat can balance out a lower UCAS tarrif and vise versa.

What is deemed a high UKCAT?
Original post by Dandie12
What is deemed a high UKCAT?

That depends on the years average it changes every year and the average ukcat score is usually released early September.Looking at past trends I'd say anything above 680+

Wow that is amazing!! I've been predicted 4As but it could chnage depending on my AS results
That depends on the years average it changes every year and the average ukcat score is usually released early September.Looking at past trends I'd say anything above 680+

670 low then?
GCSE 8 A* 2 A's

Didn't have any As exams, currently taking Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology but will probably drop English this year. Predicted for AAA (my college does not predict A*s)

I am a dementia buddy at my local hospital which is 2 hours a week, I have completed a week on a stroke rehabilitation ward and a week shadowing loads of different departments including endoscopy, surgery, neonatal and cardiology. I have also had a year weekly volunteer placement with special needs children and 2 different summer jobs, I am going on a Gap Medics thing this summer but some unis told me on their open days that they don't really like these placements so I probably wont mention it much in my personal statement etc.

Taking my UKCAT next week. Super nervous :frown: can only seem to get about 630 in QR practices. Any advice?
Original post by Chillipaneerii
Wow that is amazing!! I've been predicted 4As but it could chnage depending on my AS results

That's so good, just wait until you have your AS results and your ukcat score until you can start narrowing down your uni choices.Good luck!
Original post by Dandie12
670 low then?

No not at all! Like I said it depends on the years average and how ukcat heavy a uni is and the ukcats of the other applicants that applied to the particular uni
I got 9A*s and 1 A at gcse
Predicted AAAA for as (results on Thursday)
But it got avg 680, band 3 on my ukcat :/ will this hinder my application? Where can I apply with this ukcat score???
Original post by agahaga
But it got avg 680, band 3 on my ukcat :/ will this hinder my application? Where can I apply with this ukcat score???

Have you considered QUB, Dundee and Glasgow. I'd stay clear of Edinburgh since they place quiet an importance on SJT
Original post by agahaga

Cardiff will be a good one with your GCSEs, also look at birmingham, bristol, QUB and even kings as your GCSEs are very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where can I apply with a 670 avg and band 2 SJT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatawesomekid
Where can I apply with a 670 avg and band 2 SJT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will depend on this years average. Just avoid incredibly UKCAT heavy schools such as glasgow, newcastle, southampton etc. Avoid edinburgh also due to lower UKCAT and band 2 SJT.
Go through the rest of the med schools and look at their scoring systems to see if you meet their requirements and are likely to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
It will depend on this years average. Just avoid incredibly UKCAT heavy schools such as glasgow, newcastle, southampton etc. Avoid edinburgh also due to lower UKCAT and band 2 SJT.
Go through the rest of the med schools and look at their scoring systems to see if you meet their requirements and are likely to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, wasn't really intending on applying to more than 1 UKCAT school anyways 😊
Is it worth applying for medicine if my gcse grades are bad (couple of A's and mostly B's) But my AS grades & predicted grades are better (higher)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending