The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I know I have posting a lot recently around medicine threads but I cannot make up my mind where to apply and every time I think I have, I change my mind! I need to decide firmly as deadline for me is less than a month :frown: quivk stats summary:
GCSE:10A* 3A
AS: AAAAA (UMS 90 in maths, no others)
A2 predictions: idk yet, prob A*A*AA
UKCAT: 810 average :colondollar:
Extra curriculars: sport, social action, volunteering, extra reading etc prefects
Work experience: gastroenterological surgery, stroke ward, GP surgery, hospice, disabled children

I think I am applying to Cambridge, so that's one choice. Do not want to apply to more than one BMAT, it is the other three choices I am unsure about. Is Edinburgh too competitive to risk? I want unis which I have the best chance at getting in with my stats as I'm risking going for Cambridge. What does everyone think?
Was looking at bham, Notts, kings, Edinburgh, keele, Bristol and others ifk many if there are any good ones for me plz say aha
Original post by isabella1999
Hey, I know I have posting a lot recently around medicine threads but I cannot make up my mind where to apply and every time I think I have, I change my mind! I need to decide firmly as deadline for me is less than a month :frown: quivk stats summary:
GCSE:10A* 3A
AS: AAAAA (UMS 90 in maths, no others)
A2 predictions: idk yet, prob A*A*AA
UKCAT: 810 average :colondollar:
Extra curriculars: sport, social action, volunteering, extra reading etc prefects
Work experience: gastroenterological surgery, stroke ward, GP surgery, hospice, disabled children

I think I am applying to Cambridge, so that's one choice. Do not want to apply to more than one BMAT, it is the other three choices I am unsure about. Is Edinburgh too competitive to risk? I want unis which I have the best chance at getting in with my stats as I'm risking going for Cambridge. What does everyone think?
Was looking at bham, Notts, kings, Edinburgh, keele, Bristol and others ifk many if there are any good ones for me plz say aha

Bham, nottingham, leicester, UEA, southampton, newcastle, exeter, barts, KCL would all be perfect for your stats, if you have a sound PS and good UKCAT band then try edinburgh but both edinburgh and cambridge is always risky as they are both SUPER competative, especially because edinburgh dont interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Bham, nottingham, leicester, UEA, southampton, newcastle, exeter, barts, KCL would all be perfect for your stats, if you have a sound PS and good UKCAT band then try edinburgh but both edinburgh and cambridge is always risky as they are both SUPER competative, especially because edinburgh dont interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks!! I got band 1 in the UKCAT but the personal statement is more subjective, do they like more academic personal statements or more about extracurriculars and social stuff? As mine is more on the academic side :s-smilie:
Original post by isabella1999
Okay thanks!! I got band 1 in the UKCAT but the personal statement is more subjective, do they like more academic personal statements or more about extracurriculars and social stuff? As mine is more on the academic side :s-smilie:

They like a mix for PS.

I would say go and find the edinburgh admissions policy but you would make a strong application there honestly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi guys I just wondered if any of you could suggest good places to apply based on these stats...

GCSE: 10a* (2*100%)
UKCAT: 700 and Band 1
AS LEVELS AV: 92.6 and 100 UMS Geography
A LEVELS; BIO, CHEM, MATHS, GEOG

+ National athlete (do any like extracurricular more???)

Thanks
Original post by nellyelephant
Hi guys I just wondered if any of you could suggest good places to apply based on these stats...

GCSE: 10a* (2*100%)
UKCAT: 700 and Band 1
AS LEVELS AV: 92.6 and 100 UMS Geography
A LEVELS; BIO, CHEM, MATHS, GEOG

+ National athlete (do any like extracurricular more???)

Thanks

Oxford, cardiff, birmingham, UCL, leicester, manchester, nottingham, QUB, st andrews, exeter, UEA, KCL, aberdeen, dundee all sound like great choices for you.

Any med schools you have in mind, its easier to advise you when you have some in mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey can you guys help me narrow down my uni choices please?
I got 7a* (inc. all core subjects) and 3a's at GCSEaaaa at AS670 Band 2 UKCAT9 months volunteering and 2 weeks work exp. (both at a hospital)
Im thinking maybe Nottingham, Bristol, UEA?
Any suggestions for my safest choices + other potentials?
Original post by 1potato2potato
Hey can you guys help me narrow down my uni choices please?
I got 7a* (inc. all core subjects) and 3a's at GCSEaaaa at AS670 Band 2 UKCAT9 months volunteering and 2 weeks work exp. (both at a hospital)
Im thinking maybe Nottingham, Bristol, UEA?
Any suggestions for my safest choices + other potentials?

Leicester, UEA, SGUL, birmingham, bristol, nottingham, liverpool, aberdeen all may be great ones to consider.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leicester, UEA, SGUL, birmingham, bristol, nottingham, liverpool, aberdeen all may be great ones to consider.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, thanks a lot. Never even considered Aberdeen or Birmingham before, i'll look into all these.
Southampton and sheffield are both UKCAT heavy this year, i would advise only applying to one of these as your UKCAT is not amazing (not bad at all, but not over 700 which is what a lot of people who apply to UKCAT heavy unis have).
Kings may be risky but if you love it go for it. I would advise only 1/2 risky applications though!
Leicester looks like a good choice, what about HYMS, nottingham, UEA? You will have good stats for these unis.

Imperial only care about the BMAT. Honestly i wouldnt advise applying to imperial, KCL and sheffield/southampton as it will be 3 riskier applications, aim for 2 safer ones as a medical degree is a medical degree at the end of the day, getting in is so difficult so at least give yourself 2 sure shots at an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much :biggrin: What about Keele? Is that UKCAT heavy as well?? :smile:
Original post by sububzi
Thank you so much :biggrin: What about Keele? Is that UKCAT heavy as well?? :smile:

Keele isnt UKCAT heavy no, they exclude the bottom 20% of scores and then look at the voluntary work form they issue, need a lot of good work experience for keele generally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HELP PLEASE
Just did my UKCAT and did so bad 1870 so averages to 623!
GCSEs : 6A*'s and 3A's
A level predictions: A* A A (maths, bio, chem)
Work experience: GP's and attending home visits , week in a hospital + observing surgeries, 6 months part time at a care home
And I'm good for extra curricular.

The only UKCAT university I'm really fussed about is St.Geogres but I think it's too low to apply. Any advice would be appreciated.
I will do the BMAT as I want to go to Sussex.

(I was in band 3 for situational judgement lol, but St.Geroges isn't looking at that this year. )
(edited 7 years ago)
UKCAT of 550 740 and 720 Band 1 SJ
GCSEs 6A* 4A 1B
I really like nottingham but i dont know if my stats are good enough??:frown: help
Reply 874
I've been stalking this thread for a long while, likely since the beginning and I may have posted a few times, but have never posted my stats as I've been waiting till I pretty much have a comprehensive list.
Having sat my UKCAT today, I thought I'd post here!

GCSEs: 8A*'s and 3 A's.
AS Results: AAAA (96% average UMS) - all external exams.
A Level Predictions: Likely A*A*A*
UKCAT: 757 average. - Sub section scores: VR = 700, QR = 890 and AR = 680. Band 2 situational judgement.

Voluntary Work:

Spoiler

Super-curricular activities:

Spoiler

Extra-curricular activities:

Spoiler

Was initially thinking of Cardiff and Birmingham due to them being particularly GCSE heavy and having (relative to my school) fairly strong GCSEs. As well as these two, I was thinking of Liverpool - mainly because it's my home city and I'm part of a widening participation scheme, which, providing I meet all the other criteria for medicine and get an offer, means I'm eligible for a reduced offer of ABB.
On top of these three, I was thinking of Oxbridge.

Having completed my UKCAT today and received my score I am now in a little bit of a predicament seeing as Cardiff don't hardly look at the UKCAT. I'm still very much thinking about Birmingham and I will likely apply there. However, I'm not sure what to do about Liverpool, seeing as they don't care too much about UKCAT so I may not be the most competitive applicant, but I do get a reduced offer if I am successful in getting an offer - this would be a nice insurance.

Evidently, more research is needed in terms of University entry requirements, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Apologies for the long post, but thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 875
Original post by Kozmo
I've been stalking this thread for a long while, likely since the beginning and I may have posted a few times, but have never posted my stats as I've been waiting till I pretty much have a comprehensive list.

UKCAT: 757 average. - Sub section scores: VR = 700, QR = 890 and AR = 680. Band 2 situational judgement.

Voluntary Work:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Was initially thinking of Cardiff and Birmingham due to them being particularly GCSE heavy and having (relative to my school) fairly strong GCSEs. As well as these two, I was thinking of Liverpool - mainly because it's my home city and I'm part of a widening participation scheme, which, providing I meet all the other criteria for medicine and get an offer, means I'm eligible for a reduced offer of ABB.

Having completed my UKCAT today and received my score I am now in a little bit of a predicament seeing as Cardiff don't hardly look at the UKCAT. I'm still very much thinking about Birmingham and I will likely apply there. However, I'm not sure what to do about Liverpool, seeing as they don't care too much about UKCAT so I may not be the most competitive applicant, but I do get a reduced offer if I am successful in getting an offer - this would be a nice insurance.

Evidently, more research is needed in terms of University entry requirements, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jesus... i thought i had a lot of work experience. Just a question, but do you have medical links in the family (i.e. Parents consultants)?
Reply 876
Seeing everyone else is posting theirs...

Grades:
GCSE - 9A*, 2A
As Level - 4As
A Level Predictions - Probably A*A*A
UKCAT Score - Band 2, 723.

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1x Week in a Dementia Day Care
1x Week at local GP
1x Week On Surgical Ward
1 1/2 Years volunteering with local cubs group.
3x Months Geriatric Ward (Feeding and talking with patients)
A lot of lectures

Extracurricular Activities:
Grade 7 (Almost 8) Ukulele - done a few concerts
Charities Team at school
Run a youtube channel producing educational videos about medicine (Simple, bare bones explanations of disorders and diseases).
I really like books... and hate sport :wink:

My application feels so weak compared to others but, then again, this is TSR :smile:
Original post by Kozmo

Voluntary Work:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

What did you get in GCSEs for the two English and maths and double science? This is used to determine how high of a ukcat is needed to get an interview at University of Birmingham. :smile:
So is nobody here thinking about Manchester?

Also, if anyone can help me out, are my uni choices too risky? I didn't do too well on my GCSEs, but I'm applying with achieved A level grades of A*A*A in Bio, Maths and Chem, along with 760 average in the UKCAT...

I was thinking Manchester, Keele, Leicester and Barts. I know Manchester are willing to compensate bad GCSEs with achieved A levels, but I'm not sure whether any of the last three are considered GCSE-heavy?

I'm also okay-ish with extracurriculars. A year working with children with special needs (autism and the like), a few months volunteering at an educational institute's clinic, a couple weeks shadowing a neurologist, school football team and the student council.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Seeing everyone else is posting theirs...

Grades:
GCSE - 9A*, 2A
As Level - 4As
A Level Predictions - Probably A*A*A
UKCAT Score - Band 2, 723.

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1x Week in a Dementia Day Care
1x Week at local GP
1x Week On Surgical Ward
1 1/2 Years volunteering with local cubs group.
3x Months Geriatric Ward (Feeding and talking with patients)
A lot of lectures

Extracurricular Activities:
Grade 7 (Almost 8) Ukulele - done a few concerts
Charities Team at school
Run a youtube channel producing educational videos about medicine (Simple, bare bones explanations of disorders and diseases).
I really like books... and hate sport :wink:

My application feels so weak compared to others but, then again, this is TSR :smile:

Your extracurriculars are very impressive! Any advice on how I myself could try and gain similar experience? :smile: Do you email the hospitals/departments involved, or give them a call? I've tried, but many don't really answer, or are too busy...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending