The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flyingpanda
How on earth did you get an A prediction from one of your C or D AS grades?

I got a B in bio, and yet my teacher's is refusing to predict me an A :cry:

That was the same for me last year, my teacher refused to predict me an A in Bio and A* in Chem. So I have to begged them for it and asked my parent to write a letter for the predictions. Whereas my mate, who got a U in her Chem but because she wanted to do Med, my teacher was happily predicted her an A. At the end, I proved them wrong by achieved the grades. Sadly, my friend also proved that my teacher is wrong by not achieved her A in chemistry.
Guys, please could someone help in deciding Unis?

GCSE: 7A* 4A 1B
A level prediction: A*AS
UKCAT: 690, band 3
Around 5 weeks WE
8 months Voluntary work
Decent PS

Thinking of applying to:
Manchester, Birmingham, Leicester, St George

Don't really get the contextual data that Manchester & Birmingham look into. Do I stand a chance of interview in any of above? Please advise, thanks!
Original post by AWx
Hi guys, really need some advice on where to apply I was thinking Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and Aberdeen however my stats aren't great,
I have 3A*'s 7A's and a B at GCSE
Predicted AAA and a B at AS
With a UKCAT of 1850
VR:420
AR:720
QR:710 so 617 average :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool would be a good pick definitely, lancaster maybe? Brighton? Bristol if ur PS is amazing
OMG I HAVE THE SAME AVERAGE AND TOTALLLLL.... Holla at me if you have any good ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, A level prediction is A*AA
Are my my choices ok?
Original post by Picturesque2016
Guys, please could someone help in deciding Unis?

GCSE: 7A* 4A 1B
A level prediction: A*AS
UKCAT: 690, band 3
Around 5 weeks WE
8 months Voluntary work
Decent PS

Thinking of applying to:
Manchester, Birmingham, Leicester, St George

Don't really get the contextual data that Manchester & Birmingham look into. Do I stand a cshance of interview in any of above? Please advise, thanks!

Most likely you will get 4 interviews based on previous years cut offs and scoring for leicester and birmingham!
Reply 1106
Thank you, I guess applying for a minimum of 1 BMAT is the best way forward then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you Mathsmad 123! Please could you let me know what the last years' cut off were for Birmingham & Leicester?
Original post by Picturesque2016
Thank you Mathsmad 123! Please could you let me know what the last years' cut off were for Birmingham & Leicester?

Birmingham and leicester do not use cut offs. Birmingham weight the UKCAT with a 30% weighting compared to GCSE"s which are weighted at 70%. Leicester also have a UKCAT scoring system which can be found on their website
Original post by Mathsmad123
Birmingham and leicester do not use cut offs. Birmingham weight the UKCAT with a 30% weighting compared to GCSE"s which are weighted at 70%. Leicester also have a UKCAT scoring system which can be found on their website

Yeah, Birmingham have application score as 70% GCSE + 30% UKCAT. The website shows score for 2015 but not for 2016. Thought you had already researched 😊 Thanks for your reply!
How does Exeter use ukcat???????
....and gcse's???
How much work experience / volunteering has everyone done? I'm beginning to worry that I haven't got enough:frown: Which unis aren't too bothered about it?
Original post by nellytheelephant

Boderline applicants.

Fair bit, mostly on predicted a levels tho

They have tiers of predicted grades. They invite highest tiers to interview and the tier where they can only select a partial amount as they are running out of interviews is when they use the UKCAT cut off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know what Newcastle and Southampton's UKCAT cut off has been for the past few years?
I'm at a hospital placement right now, and honestly the number of people who told me to dentistry is shocking! Literally everything doctor told me to do dentistry if you're a family person :facepalm:
I'm confused and given that there's like 2 weeks left to apply
Original post by Selgomez11
I'm at a hospital placement right now, and honestly the number of people who told me to dentistry is shocking! Literally everything doctor told me to do dentistry if you're a family person :facepalm:
I'm confused and given that there's like 2 weeks left to apply

Well what they said is true, a doctor must contribute a lot of his time towards his job. Dentists have more free time and they don't really have to bring their work home.
hI,
I Just wanted to know what unis you guys think i should apply to
My results were
IGCSES: 9A* and 1A
AS: 5A
A2 Predicted: 4 A*

i was thinking of applying to;
Queen Mary
St Georges
Kings
Imperial/UCL

but that was before getting my UKCAT scores which arent the best: