The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know about this new Southampton interview works? Seems pretty weird :P
Reply 1161
Hey, can anyone offer any advice on whether I'm likely to make interview?
GCSE: 6A* 4* 1BUKAT: 623 avg (VR 570 AR 630 QR 680, SJT Band 1)AS: 4AA2 (predicted): A*A*A
Reply 1162
Okay so i made a mistake, i originally thought my ucas tariff was 304 but its actually 238 lol. I was wondering with a ucas tariff of 238 and a ukcat averge of 690 Band 1 in SJT, what are my chances of an interview at Queen Mary's. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Can I ask a stupid question? How do you work out your UCAS tariff lol
Original post by hopeforunderdog

^^^
I want to know too
Original post by Natalierm2707
Pharm not be bad, but haematology... I will pass on that one for now haha :lol:

Hi Natalie,
I'm quite confused if my stats is enough for the universities I'm applying to.
I got 7A*s and 5 As (including eng lit and lang) for GCSEs and 4 As in AS levels for Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics. I carried on with 3 A levels and my predicted grades are A*A*A*. However my UKCAT is not very at the average of 655. I wanted to apply to University of Birmingham, University of Leicester, Keele and Manchester (I am eligible for a widening participation scheme which lowers the UKCAT requirement). Do you think my stats will be enough for these universities. I wanted to apply to one the the London unis (either Kings or QMUL) but I don't know if my stats are even good enough. Thank you!
Original post by Selgomez11
^^^
I want to know too

If you Google UCAS tariff calculator, you should be able to find a tool that will help you calculate it. On the UCAS website :smile:
Make sure it's for 2017 entry, though, as the points changed this year :h:
[QUOTE=Gogregg;67816546]If you Google UCAS tariff calculator, you should be able to find a tool that will help you calculate it. On the UCAS website :smile:
Make sure it's for 2017 entry, though, as the points changed this year :h:i

Ah thank you:smile:
Hi everyone,
I am in desperate need for an honest opinion about whether I should apply to medicine.

GCSE's: 1A*,7A's, 3B's
A-level (predicted) : A*,A,A
UKCAT: 540,600,620, Band 2
My teachers doubt I'll get an offer so they're encouraging me to look into other courses but I am determined to study medicine since I absolutely love the sound of the course and the job.

Should I still bother applying??
Original post by helena99
Hi everyone,
I am in desperate need for an honest opinion about whether I should apply to medicine.

GCSE's: 1A*,7A's, 3B's
A-level (predicted) : A*,A,A
UKCAT: 540,600,620, Band 2
My teachers doubt I'll get an offer so they're encouraging me to look into other courses but I am determined to study medicine since I absolutely love the sound of the course and the job.

Should I still bother applying??

Definitely take the BMAT.
Maybe apply to Bristol, since they don't use the UKCAT to a great extent, but really very heavily on your PS, so it needs to be good.
Got BMAT universities, you could apply to ICL, BSMS and maybe Lancaster?

It is still possible, but it will be difficult. You really need to smash the BMAT, so start preparing now :biggrin:
Does anyone know what a high UKCAT tariff is? Mines is 290 but not sure if that's good or rubbish or what haha
Does anyone know what a high UKCAT tariff is? Mines is 290 but not sure if that's good or rubbish or what haha

That's a good tariff. 3As at A level is equivalent to 144 points and you're way ahead of that, so it's a good thing.
I'm assuming you're applying to barts?
What's your UKCAT score?
[QUOTE=Gogregg;67817576]That's a good tariff. 3As at A level is equivalent to 144 points and you're way ahead of that, so it's a good thing.
I'm assuming you're applying to barts?
What's your UKCAT score?

I'm a gap year applicant so if I'm a bit higher then that's probably why and I'm a Scottish applicant if that makes a difference? I was planning on just applying to Scottish unis but lately I've been looking into some down south too that I might have a higher chance of getting into so might research barts:smile:

I got 713 average band 1
I'm a gap year applicant so if I'm a bit higher then that's probably why and I'm a Scottish applicant if that makes a difference? I was planning on just applying to Scottish unis but lately I've been looking into some down south too that I might have a higher chance of getting into so might research barts:smile:

I got 713 average band 1

With that UKCAT, i think you've got a very good chance! If you like it there, apply :biggrin:

I'm not sure how they look at Scottish applicants, but i assume it's the same way...
[QUOTE=Gogregg;67818186]With that UKCAT, i think you've got a very good chance! If you like it there, apply :biggrin:

I'm not sure how they look at Scottish applicants, but i assume it's the same way...

I looked and it says on their website you need AA advanced higher to apply and I have ABB so don't even think I can apply:frown: ah well, thanks for the advice tho!
Is applying to King's too risky with UKCAT 660 average and Band 2?
I'm predicted A*A*AA or A*A*A*A.
GCSEs: 6A*s 4As (not that amazing as I've done in 6 months due to late arrival in the UK)
AS: AAAAA
Pretty strong PS and reference
I was thinking of the extended degree... but I don't know if they will consider me because of high predictions.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by Selgomez11
Hi Natalie,
I'm quite confused if my stats is enough for the universities I'm applying to.
I got 7A*s and 5 As (including eng lit and lang) for GCSEs and 4 As in AS levels for Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics. I carried on with 3 A levels and my predicted grades are A*A*A*. However my UKCAT is not very at the average of 655. I wanted to apply to University of Birmingham, University of Leicester, Keele and Manchester (I am eligible for a widening participation scheme which lowers the UKCAT requirement). Do you think my stats will be enough for these universities. I wanted to apply to one the the London unis (either Kings or QMUL) but I don't know if my stats are even good enough. Thank you!

hello there,

I would say birmingham and leicester look like good choices, if you have a great number of voluntary work hours keele would look good to, and for manchester thats great (is it MAP?).
Original post by Natalierm2707
hello there,

I would say birmingham and leicester look like good choices, if you have a great number of voluntary work hours keele would look good to, and for manchester thats great (is it MAP?).

Hi, thanks for replying.
My volunteering so far is in a care home, charity shop, at a reception class and in the children centre. Hopefully that's enough for Keele? The Manchester scheme is actually another one- widening participation.
Hey
I'm an international student from Pakistan
I got 10A* 1A at GCSE (Highest achiever at my school)
(Biology, Chemistry,Physics ,Math, English Language,ComputerScience ,Sociology,EnvironmentalManagement, PakistanStudies,
Urdu, Islamic studies)
AAA at As level (Biology Chemistry Physics)
Predicted 3A* at Alevel
Extensive work experience (schools, hospitals, old age homes, homes for individuals with Down's syndrome etc)
1000+ hours of community service
Strong extra curriculars with various student leadership placements and numerous awards and certificates.
Summer program at brown university
On the honor roll and awarded with a
100% scholarship at my Sixth form college.
4 Clinical research publications on PubMed
(As a contributing author)
And a lot more achievements.

I had hoped to apply to
Oxford
UCL
Kings
Bart's
Manchester/ St. George's
(In order of preference)

But I appeared for the UKCAT with minimal preparation due to lack of resources and guidance (I could find no one who was giving or had given the UKCAT from my city)
I ended up with an average of 600 and Band 2 on SJ. A terrible score.
Can someone guide me as to whether i should forget about Kings and Bart's?
I am currently focusing on the BMAT as 2 of my choices ask for it.
I have a solid personal statement as well and great recommendations.
What should I do?
Hello guys,I want to ask if I can apply to medicine this year and if so where should I apply. I have always wanted to do medicine because it interests me so much, and through work experience, I confirmed this. Any foundation courses will do. I can't do BMAT because most BMAT unis want B for English.

GCSE stats:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA : A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C