The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CutieTootsie
Still can't bloody believe it 😭 even my mediocre 1910 is comfortable over that cut-off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on being above the cut off! :biggrin:

I sort of wish I applied to Plymouth, since the open day was amazing and the place is so nice! The course just wasn't for me, personally. It is amazing, though, so good luck, and I hope you get in!
Original post by Gogregg
Congratulations on being above the cut off! :biggrin:

I sort of wish I applied to Plymouth, since the open day was amazing and the place is so nice! The course just wasn't for me, personally. It is amazing, though, so good luck, and I hope you get in!

Thank you! Such a kind thing to say :smile:
Yeah PBL is really different isn't it? I love the medical school though - and can't rave enough about the Hoe 😍

Original post by Nuba123
Yes, everything happens for a reason. x

Yeah, I kind of had to choose Scottish unis because I don't think I'd be allowed to go that far away tbqh. Plus Higher education is free for me so that's super convenient.
Im aiming for AAA in my advanced highers but if i flop them then im going to try graduate entry into med. And if i keep failing after like 4/5 attempts I'd probably go into psychology, optometry or pharmacy, wby?

Really? Your parents wouldn't allow you to go far away for uni? My parents aren't too pleased about me going far for uni but they said it's my choice. Yeah exactly no debt for you.
4/5 attempts? Wow, you're really dedicated. If I get AAB then I'll take a gap year and resit, I know Lancaster accepts resits without mitigating circumstances. I'd also probs just apply to another course, I don't think grad entry medicine is worth it because I'll have to pay for it myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Really? Your parents wouldn't allow you to go far away for uni? My parents aren't too pleased about me going far for uni but they said it's my choice. Yeah exactly no debt for you.
4/5 attempts? Wow, you're really dedicated. If I get AAB then I'll take a gap year and resit, I know Lancaster accepts resits without mitigating circumstances. I'd also probs just apply to another course, I don't think grad entry medicine is worth it because I'll have to pay for it myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, my home base is Glasgow so even Aberdeen is a stretch but I'd say it's more so because of the costs that they don't want me to go to uni in England. An'd yeah grad entry is the last step for me but I'd definitely give it a shot. Do you have a 5th choice>?
Hey guys :smile:
Maybe PM would be better for your conversation? (I keep thinking there are updates for Medicine 2017 entry, but instead I feel like I'm intruding on your private conversation)
I'm not being mean! Hope you don't take it the wrong way 🙂

Hey! sorry to bombard this thread but I was wondering (from you guys who clearly are going through the selection process) what my chances are of doing medicine-currently year 12
2A*, 4A,3Bs, 2Cs (physics and english lang which i resat)

pharmacy job, 3 days ortho, 4 days hospital, volunteering in library, volunteer in a ayn foundation for iraqi orphans, 2 years working in a school on saturday with children- will look for more though

thoughts? please be critical and give criticism
Thank you! Such a kind thing to say :smile:
Yeah PBL is really different isn't it? I love the medical school though - and can't rave enough about the Hoe 😍

Actually, I quite like the sound of PBL! It was the anatomy component that I didn't like, I didn't think I'd be able to learn from the use of models only!
Other than that, it was amazing! Best open day I've ever been to and the place itself was amazing!
Original post by Gogregg
Actually, I quite like the sound of PBL! It was the anatomy component that I didn't like, I didn't think I'd be able to learn from the use of models only!
Other than that, it was amazing! Best open day I've ever been to and the place itself was amazing!

Oh you may be right! Never thought about that... all I keep thinking is that any med school that wants me, I'll gladly accept hahaha #insecureMedicineApplicant

Original post by sfaraj
Hey! sorry to bombard this thread but I was wondering (from you guys who clearly are going through the selection process) what my chances are of doing medicine-currently year 12
2A*, 4A,3Bs, 2Cs (physics and english lang which i resat)

pharmacy job, 3 days ortho, 4 days hospital, volunteering in library, volunteer in a ayn foundation for iraqi orphans, 2 years working in a school on saturday with children- will look for more though

thoughts? please be critical and give criticism

Did you not post this this yesterday? Might not have been you but there was someone asking the same thing with very similar grades as you.

The C's in Physics and English will be a problem, you need to contact uni's to see if they will accept resits cause most courses will require a B or above.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HopelessMedic
Did you not post this this yesterday? Might not have been you but there was someone asking the same thing with very similar grades as you.

The C's in Physics and English will be a problem, you need to contact uni's to see if they will accept resits cause most courses will require a B or above.

nope wasn't me

physics isn't always one requirements for the unis i plan on applying to. english is a problem a i already have and most of where i was hoping allow resit since its gcses

i just wanted to see if there is any advice i can be given
Oh you may be right! Never thought about that... all I keep thinking is that any med school that wants me, I'll gladly accept hahaha #insecureMedicineApplicant

Honestly, that's the same for all of us, and it's a good mindset to have! Any med school would be amazing to go to! :biggrin:
Year 11 I took 5 A's in GCSE's, and I'm currently taking bio and physics Al's, I have no work experience whatsoever, I'm afraid ill have nothing to write in my personal statement.
whats the best 3 unis to apply for if you had a super high ukcat in your opinion?
Original post by MolesterStallone
Year 11 I took 5 A's in GCSE's, and I'm currently taking bio and physics Al's, I have no work experience whatsoever, I'm afraid ill have nothing to write in my personal statement.

A lot of what I talked about in my personal statement I did 3 weeks before I sent it off! - just apply for placements every where! And as early as possible

Original post by yoyo24
whats the best 3 unis to apply for if you had a super high ukcat in your opinion?

IMO, your favourite 3. A lot of people would disagree with me, but I don't think having a high UKCAT score means you should apply to UkCAT heavy unis. It just simply means the world is your oyster and the UKCAT is another part of your application that makes you stand out!
(Hope this was helpful)

IMO, your favourite 3. A lot of people would disagree with me, but I don't think having a high UKCAT score means you should apply to UkCAT heavy unis. It just simply means the world is your oyster and the UKCAT is another part of your application that makes you stand out!
(Hope this was helpful)

thanks, i get what you mean, but what are the most ukcat heavy unis iyo?
Original post by yoyo24
thanks, i get what you mean, but what are the most ukcat heavy unis iyo?

Newcastle and Sheffield off the top of my head are UKCAT heavy in terms of their high UKCAT cut offs. HYMS is to an extent as well but that's combined with GCSEs and they also look at your UKCAT SJT band whereas most others don't!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think I stand a chance?
Gcse: 1A*, 3A, 5B
As: Chemistry, Biology, maths (studying this year - I find chemsitry really difficult compared to GCSE)

Work experience:
3 Hospitals (already booked)
1 for pathology (I'm interested in the biomedical parts of medicine), 1 for Cardiology, 1 for nurse - general surgery.

Volunteering
Mental hospital (for 2/3 hours a week)
Charity shop (2 hours)
Care home (4 hours a week)

Also planing on doing DofE and St John's ambulance

Extracurricular:
Medsociety
Prefect
Reading
Blogging

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shohaib712
Do you think I stand a chance?

As has been mentioned numerous times heer already, its not 'what I've done' that will get you an interview, its how you reflect on, comment on, explain the relevance of what you saw etc in your personal statement that actually matters - they are looking for mature reflection not a shopping list of placements.
Original post by MolesterStallone

Then you need to find some pretty quickly.

Advice in the Medicine Wiki here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending