Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Options Help!! A2 PE or AS Chemistry!!?? URGENT watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I need a little bit of help here.
    I am currently taking BTEC Level 3 national Diploma Applied science, Psychology and Physical Education at A2. 4 subjects.
    At the start of Year 12 (AS) I really wanted to take Biology and Chemistry for A level, however, our school has a policy where you can only take them if you get an A at GCSE. And yes, I got a B in science at GCSE.
    When i got my GCSE results i had a phone call saying that i needed to come up to school to discuss my 'options'. In my personal opinion, I was pressured into taking a BTEC due to the fact they exclaimed i was not smart enough to do the course. I was very vulnerable at the time and so though that i may as well due to the BTEC as i had never heard of it before and they said that it would give me better grades than Biology and Chemistry which i would do at A level.
    They did not explain the part where BTEC's are NOT ACCEPTED BY MANY TOP UNIVERSITY'S! Which was my main aim going into Y12!
    I am now in Y13 and I am considering dropping Physical Education and doing the Chemistry AS level 'Resit', this is so that i will have a better chance at going to university.
    I also am nervous as i want to do Biochemistry at University, when I go i feel as though everyone will know all the information from A level biology and chemistry and I will be so far behind everyone else! I do not feel like in BTEC we have to learn or remember anything as it is just handing in courseowrk. :"(
    So...Should i stick with PE and try and get a good grade in that at A2 or should i ask if i can sit the AS level Chemistry 'resit' exam?
    P.S. I do not want to resit they year at college or do a Foundation year at University.
    Please help as I am getting really stressed over it, I was achieving A's and A* in all the mocks in science throughout the year and then I had an unfortunate time in the Exam and got an A and B, which resulted in a B overall even though i got an A in my coursework! ( I know, 2 A's and 1 B and it equals out to a B overall, I do not get it personally).
    I just feel like school pressured me into choosing the BTEC, and know i feel like i should have taken the entrance exam, which you needed to get like 20/80 to carry on doing both Biology and Chemistry, I think a lot of it was to do with the school wanting to achieve good results overall in the country and they pressured me to take it by saying things such as ' you will get more points for getting D*D*' and my ALL TIME FAVORITE 'You will get better grades and you will still learn as much and the same content, just through exams'
    What a pile of ***** that turned out to be!
    Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the university requirements properly? I did a Computing BTEC and im now at a top 20 uni in my second year and the BTEC prepared me pretty well.

UCL and Durham both accept the BTEC Applied Science and im sure there are lots more, I also heard of someone who got into Oxford last year to study Experimental Psychology with a Health Science BTEC

What do you want to apply for at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Have you looked at the university requirements properly? I did a Computing BTEC and im now at a top 20 uni in my second year and the BTEC prepared me pretty well.

UCL and Durham both accept the BTEC Applied Science and im sure there are lots more, I also heard of someone who got into Oxfod last year to study Experimental Psychology with a Health Science BTEC

What do you want to apply for at uni?
    Hey, I really want to do Biochemistry at university. I looked at UCL but they do not accept BTEC for their Biochemistry course and Durham do not do Biochemistry. I know that when i go to university i will have to do exams and i do not know whether i will be prepared for that. I have always love science and it is something i have always wanted to do it as a job in the near future. I also want to actually have a clue what they are talking about in lectures such as protein structures and in depth meiosis etc.I am already doing independent learning and am just reading both the Biology and Chemistry AS and A2 textbooks for fun and doing a few of the past papers to get my writing technique better for the University exams and also try and learn the information and content for university which i hope will help in the long run! I am now onto the 1st third of the A2 books and they are really REALLY interesting! I absolutely love all the maths and equations!The thing is that they do accept applied science but only the extended diploma such as D*D*D* for example whereas i am doing the National Diploma which you can get like D*D*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum98)
    Hey, I really want to do Biochemistry at university. I looked at UCL but they do not accept BTEC for their Biochemistry course and Durham do not do Biochemistry. I know that when i go to university i will have to do exams and i do not know whether i will be prepared for that. I have always love science and it is something i have always wanted to do it as a job in the near future. I also want to actually have a clue what they are talking about in lectures such as protein structures and in depth meiosis etc.I am already doing independent learning and am just reading both the Biology and Chemistry AS and A2 textbooks for fun and doing a few of the past papers to get my writing technique better for the University exams and also try and learn the information and content for university which i hope will help in the long run! I am now onto the 1st third of the A2 books and they are really REALLY interesting! I absolutely love all the maths and equations!The thing is that they do accept applied science but only the extended diploma such as D*D*D* for example whereas i am doing the National Diploma which you can get like D*D*.
    York accept the Extended Diploma for Biochem, might be worth checking if they'll accept one of your A levels as the extra grade

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.