Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, before anyone tells me to go to the doctors about this - I've tried 77 times to ring and book an appointment but they just keep fobbing me off which is ****ing irritating beyond belief. Anyway, yesterday I noticed a lump on my neck, about the size of an Smartie, which protrudes quite a bit when I turn my head. It is on top of the tendon on the side of my neck. In terms of pain, it hurts to the touch and has been causing that side of my neck to ache. Its pretty firm and moves about a little when I touch it - what on earth is it?! Its not a gland, I've not been ill and from past experiences, glands are bigger and aren't as sore as this? I've googled and googled for hours with no luck and the doctor clearly doesn't class some silly little youngster as priority -_- does anyone have any suggestions? Is it a swollen lymph node or not? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think your tonsils might be swollen. Go to A&E if you can't book an appointment with your doctor.

(Original post by This_ismynamenow)
    I think your tonsils might be swollen. Go to A&E if you can't book an appointment with your doctor.
    It's about half way down a tendon which is too low to be tonsils I reckon? I've started getting shooting pains and stiffness in my neck, the doctor has told me via phone that I'm bul****ting basically, so I've wrangled an appointment out of them with a health nurse.

ReputationRep:
    I am not a doctor but I found a lump on my neck and thought I wax going to die because it was growing (because I kept poking it). I went to the doctor and it was just a swollen node and its still there now. I hadn't been ill either. Don't panic and keep trying for the doctor.. and don't poke it like I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's about half way down a tendon which is too low to be tonsils I reckon? I've started getting shooting pains and stiffness in my neck, the doctor has told me via phone that I'm bul****ting basically, so I've wrangled an appointment out of them with a health nurse.
    I wish you the best, speedy recovery

ReputationRep:
    Omg, I have a lump on my neck as well >.>

I had a similar lump on my head, which was diagnosed by doctors as a protruding lymph node, which is very normal. However, it may still be worth keeping an eye on your symptoms for tonsillitis and any flu or meningitis like symptoms, and seeking medical advice from a doctor if the matter seems more serious.

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like it won't be as serious as I had expected, I'm seeing the health nurse tomorrow so should hopefully get an answer to my query.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely is a swollen lymph node. I have a few all up and down my neck and some of them popped up even when I felt fine. If its less than the size of a pea and is movable, even just slightly, its most likely a lymph node. I have ones ranging from pea sized to grape sized and all turned out to be normal. I k ow its easier said than done, but try not to panic too much and try your best to avoid touching it as that can irritate nodes and make them bigger and will only fuel your worry. Keep trying to get an appt with your GP and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Most likely is a swollen lymph node. I have a few all up and down my neck and some of them popped up even when I felt fine. If its less than the size of a pea and is movable, even just slightly, its most likely a lymph node. I have ones ranging from pea sized to grape sized and all turned out to be normal. I k ow its easier said than done, but try not to panic too much and try your best to avoid touching it as that can irritate nodes and make them bigger and will only fuel your worry. Keep trying to get an appt with your GP and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks yes it I have about three actually now, they are apparently just lymph nodes, but the doctor has asked me to come back if they're still there in three weeks, so really it wasn't too much to worry about at all I was just in need of an answer, but I got one finally!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.