Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling really overwhelmed? watch

Announcements

Might seem silly when put in perspective, but I'm just feeling quite low. The past year or so, as soon as year 11 ended, has just been so draining.

As someone who never revised, and went on holiday right before her GCSE's and came out with 8A*'s, I'm not coping with the A2 workload (or AS last year). I have an entrance exam next week that I'm surely going to fail (getting 25/100 average when the interview acceptance is over 60mark). Never experienced getting a B before last year- leave alone completely failing. Haven't gotten any offers from my universities, whilst most of my friends have at least one (this isn't much of a bother, but I'm afraid I might've been punching above my weight concerning the universities I applied to). I dropped a subject I enjoyed last year in AS, that I got an A in and could've easily gotten an A* in, for a subject considered more intelligent (Chemistry) where I got a B (5 ums off an A). In lessons, I have no idea what's going on. I have to learn everything from scratch and I'm just so lost- my revision technique is, and I quote, 'horrific'. I don't even know where to start.

This summer was the first summer I didn't actually feel carefree- that nagging in the back of my mind of all the work I have to do, university applications, references, personal statements. Even when I sent off my application off, nothing changed. I still feel it and it's weighing me down. I understand this feeling is never going to leave- I assume this is 'adulthood'? After exams and uni, it will be bills, and mortgages..I just feel so done.

Any advice for my mid-teen crisis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Might seem silly when put in perspective, but I'm just feeling quite low. The past year or so, as soon as year 11 ended, has just been so draining.

As someone who never revised, and went on holiday right before her GCSE's and came out with 8A*'s, I'm not coping with the A2 workload (or AS last year). I have an entrance exam next week that I'm surely going to fail (getting 25/100 average when the interview acceptance is over 60mark). Never experienced getting a B before last year- let alone completely failing. Haven't gotten any offers from my universities, whilst most of my friends have at least one (this isn't much of a bother, but I'm afraid I might've been punching above my weight concerning the universities I applied to). I dropped a subject I enjoyed last year in AS, that I got an A in and could've easily gotten an A* in, for a subject considered more intelligent (Chemistry) where I got a B (5 ums off an A). In lessons, I have no idea what's going on. I have to learn everything from scratch and I'm just so lost- my revision technique is, and I quote, 'horrific'. I don't even know where to start.

This summer was the first summer I didn't actually feel carefree- that nagging in the back of my mind of all the work I have to do, university applications, references, personal statements. Even when I sent off my application off, nothing changed. I still feel it and it's weighing me down. I understand this feeling is never going to leave- I assume this is 'adulthood'? After exams and uni, it will be bills, and mortgages..I just feel so done.

Aw I'm sorry you feel this way, I can relate haha. Have you thought about taking a break from studying, just to give yourself some perspective and help you to relax? It doesn't have to be long, perhaps a day or so but just go somewhere and do something that you'll enjoy

It's only October so you have absolutely no need to fret about A2 exams just yet-I was in exactly the same position last year (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2938193) but things turned out alright in the end. You just need to have a can-do mindset and do things in manageable chunks. And just think, after this year, A-Levels will be over so you just have to give things one final push.

I wouldn't worry about getting offers since they're given out by each department within a University rather than by Universities as a whole. Maybe your subjects slow? And no news is promising.

Ultimately, it won't be the end of the world if the test doesn't go as you'd hope because you're an amazing applicant so you'll most likely be accepted elsewhere-8A*s wow!!. And anyway, the interview invitations can't just be based on the outcome of this single test

hope this helps, you just need some perspective and to relax

(Original post by Jess_x)
    Aw I'm sorry you feel this way, I can relate haha. Have you thought about taking a break from studying, just to give yourself some perspective and help you to relax? It doesn't have to be long, perhaps a day or so but just go somewhere and do something that you'll enjoy

It's only October so you have absolutely no need to fret about A2 exams just yet-I was in exactly the same position last year (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2938193) but things turned out alright in the end. You just need to have a can-do mindset and do things in manageable chunks. And just think, after this year, A-Levels will be over so you just have to give things one final push.

I wouldn't worry about getting offers since they're given out by each department within a University rather than by Universities as a whole. Maybe your subjects slow? And no news is promising.

Ultimately, it won't be the end of the world if the test doesn't go as you'd hope because you're an amazing applicant so you'll most likely be accepted elsewhere-8A*s wow!!. And anyway, the interview invitations can't just be based on the outcome of this single test

hope this helps, you just need some perspective and to relax
    Whew. What lovely advice lol. I have applied for quite strange courses, so maybe that's why they aren't replying.

The problem is, its not as though I'm burying myself in books 24/7. I can't even seem to concentrate for the best part of half an hour.. I've taken days out, but I can never let things go- I've got a constant reminder at the back of my head that I should be doing work so I force myself to sit down with my book or laptop so I don't feel guilty. But I still end up irritated with myself for not doing enough work - I sit down to do work and immediately end up watching silly youtube videos or reading the crappy stories on the daily mail . When I sit down and read my chemistry book (and even my physics), nothing sinks in so I end up wandering away and getting nothing done. I'm just upset with myself is all.

I have no self control- I even temp blocked the sites I usually scroll through when I'm procrastinating; TSR, buzzfeed etc. but nothing helps :I

ReputationRep:

As someone who never revised, and went on holiday right before her GCSE's and came out with 8A*'s, I'm not coping with the A2 workload (or AS last year). I have an entrance exam next week that I'm surely going to fail (getting 25/100 average when the interview acceptance is over 60mark). Never experienced getting a B before last year- leave alone completely failing. Haven't gotten any offers from my universities, whilst most of my friends have at least one (this isn't much of a bother, but I'm afraid I might've been punching above my weight concerning the universities I applied to). I dropped a subject I enjoyed last year in AS, that I got an A in and could've easily gotten an A* in, for a subject considered more intelligent (Chemistry) where I got a B (5 ums off an A). In lessons, I have no idea what's going on. I have to learn everything from scratch and I'm just so lost- my revision technique is, and I quote, 'horrific'. I don't even know where to start.

Sucks to hear that but know for sure that you aren't the only person going through this stage. Face your revision, no point in squirming out of it because you'll only regret it if you do. More importantly, make time for yourself and for the things you love doing. Take three or four days off every month and just unwind. Have a structure and find a motive. Think about that proud moment when you open your paper on results day and you got AAA or ABB or whatever your aiming for. Imagine going your dream university! Thirdly Take baby steps and don't plunge into your workload and do 8hours of straight revision - let's be realistic your brain won't absorb that much. Revision isn't about much you revise, it's how effective it is. And 8 A*'s at GCSE? Your Oxford material, you have potential don't waste it. x

ReputationRep:
    Whew. What lovely advice lol. I have applied for quite strange courses, so maybe that's why they aren't replying.

The problem is, its not as though I'm burying myself in books 24/7. I can't even seem to concentrate for the best part of half an hour.. I've taken days out, but I can never let things go- I've got a constant reminder at the back of my head that I should be doing work so I force myself to sit down with my book or laptop so I don't feel guilty. But I still end up irritated with myself for not doing enough work - I sit down to do work and immediately end up watching silly youtube videos or reading the crappy stories on the daily mail . When I sit down and read my chemistry book (and even my physics), nothing sinks in so I end up wandering away and getting nothing done. I'm just upset with myself is all.

I have no self control- I even temp blocked the sites I usually scroll through when I'm procrastinating; TSR, buzzfeed etc. but nothing helps :I
    S'okay. You could try working in somewhere in your house where your family will be able to see you and monitor what you're doing. You could ask them to help you to not procrastinate by having them check up on you every half an hour or so? Maybe you're aiming to work for too long-instead of aiming to work for two hours solidly or something ridiculous, set yourself the challenge of working for half an hour, then reward yourself with an episode of Friends or whatever you prefer. Only use the Internet if you absolutely need it.Try printing something off instead wherever possible. If you find yourself getting bored of the way you're studying, switch it up and study in different places (outside is good-the cold makes you work effectively, I can vouch for that ) or in different ways using pretty colours haha. An idea might be to take the morning off and then you'll be forced to work in the afternoon to save yourself extra work the following day (that said, the idea of a cumulative work load is rather depressing). Be gentle with yourself, too.

You're incredibly intelligent and I know that you're capable of tackling this workload in a stride. You're not facing anything that's out of your reach. Just take things step by step to achieve your goals

It may be the case that you think you're not absorbing stuff when you actually are-I sometimes get that when I'm getting fed up with a topic. By moving your eyes at a good speed across the page, you're forcing yourself to move on. Have you considered getting revision guides if you're struggling with the sciences?

Leaving the house for walks and general exercise is good, too, to give you some breathing space if you're feeling suffocated. Do play any instruments? I've found getting myself into the routine of practicing the keyboard means that I'm focussing on that rather than on any other stress I may be feeling

Wow. this is a lot. You can tell I'm an English applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    I'm experiencing the exact same thing!! & Well done Jess x. I scrolled though your thread and saw you got straight A's!
    Yeah, I was absolutely chuffed! you can do it!! and get through this

ReputationRep:
    I understand this feeling is never going to leave- I assume this is 'adulthood'? After exams and uni, it will be bills, and mortgages..I just feel so done.

Aww chin up! I can understand you feeling this way (Year 13 IS quite high pressure with the uncertainty of which uni you will end up at until you open your results) but I am 35 and even though a little bit more of 'adulthood' creeps in with you living away from parents possibly for the first time, you are still well protected from things like mortgages, council tax etc for a bit! And first year in some ways is easier than A-levels , you only need to pass (40%) to continue so , although not ideal!, you could technically scrape through with an E equivalent to year 2 and still get a First!

As for the feeling you 'don't know what is going on' in lessons, unfortunately this is the reality of A2 compared to GCSES! In many ways, GCSES are very spoon fed and frankly you don't require great intellect to do well in them. Given you got 8A*s (with no revision) you are clearly a clever girl. The content is such in A2 sometimes though that you do have to think about it from first principles and to make it worse, as I'm sure you have noticed, particularly in Sciences, you are told 'we didn;t tell you the full story at GCSE' so its goodbye electron shells and hello spdf orbitals and so on.so forth, bye bye 'is it covalent or ionic' and hello 'well its somewhere in between, look up the electronegativity values!' Get used to this , as in University it is possible to sit through lectures not understanding all of them and having to do your owhn study to fully get your head around some of it!

Your revision technique - I would have the PC/laptop turned off if you are doing textbook type questions and as others have said, work on quality rather than quantity. You will get more done in 2 hours of proper application than a bitty evening of a few questions, a few YouTube videos and then back to questions. If you get on well with your parents ask them to pop their head round to check you are still on task!

Chances are this time next year you will be having a great time with new friends in a lovely new city! Keep that light at the end of the tunnel!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.