Explaining gaps on UCAS

Watch this thread
chuchip
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How would one go about explaining a gap in employment history on the UCAS application? Particularly one due to illness. It's not something I really want to mention on my personal statement, although I would happily explain it at an interview. Any advice on this?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Get your referee to mention it,
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't see why you would need to explain it at all. In the section on employment / education history, just put the dates you worked, and say nothing about any missing periods.

You only have 47 lines in your personal statement to make your case. They're not expecting a detailed timeline of your life.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chuchip)
How would one go about explaining a gap in employment history on the UCAS application? Particularly one due to illness. It's not something I really want to mention on my personal statement, although I would happily explain it at an interview. Any advice on this?
Your PS on the UCAS app shouldn't be a CV. It should be an explanation of why you want to study the subject for which you've applied. The only time you need to mention previous employment, would be to highlight any transferrable skills or achievements which would be applicable to studying for your degree. Maybe also as a mature applicant, explain why you have chosen to go to uni later.

Whatever you do, don't just list past employment - you don't need to give an employment history. If you don't create the gaps, you won't have to explain them
chuchip
Rep:
Thanks for the answers and advice. I was more concerned about the fact I have to list employment on the UCAS form in the designated section, so any gaps would show there anyway and I wouldn't have the chance to explain until later. Or do some people just not list any of their employment history in that section? I might be worrying over nothing, I've just read a lot of differing opinions on this before, hence my concern. Thanks again for any advice.
Head.In.A.Book
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I've not worked in almost 8 years, didn't even mention any of my employment history at all. Unless the work is relevant to the degree you're applying for then don't mention it, they don't really care about your work history.
I applied last year and now in first year of degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
chuchip
Rep:
(Original post by Head.In.A.Book)
I've not worked in almost 8 years, didn't even mention any of my employment history at all. Unless the work is relevant to the degree you're applying for then don't mention it, they don't really care about your work history.
I applied last year and now in first year of degree
Thank you, that's made me feel much better about it all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (71)
66.98%
No (26)
24.53%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed