Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im sitting C1,C2 and M1 with CCEA this year but want to do FM AS with Edexcel.

What knowledge is needed for FP1, D1 and D2?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm not aware of the specification of CCEA for your modules, but anyway..

For FP1, this is what the chapter list looks like: http://puu.sh/l0Ikk/77b56f7311.png

IIRC, some C2 knowledge on series was needed for Chapters 5 and 6 (some C2 knowledge from Edexcel's syllabus)
    With FP1, much of the knowledge is quite new because the Module focuses on teaching you different aspects of mathematics (complex numbers, matrices), which you will not have had any introduction to before.

I'm currently doing D1 and also have no knowledge of D2, but almost all of the people who've finished D1 in my year (even people in the lower sets) say it's very easy. So hopefully you should be able to do well on that.

Sorry I can't help with D2.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm only on Chapter 3 out of 7, but so far I haven't seen anything crop up. It's quite easy, so I assume if any c1/2 knowledge is required it'd be covered in CCEA anyway or even GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Depending on how mathematically able you are, you'll probably need C1 & C2 before trying out FP1.

It can be done at the same time, yes, but I know most schools and colleges choose to offer FM after C1 & C2 (such as doing Maths A Level in one year and Further Maths A Level in the second, or taking up AS Further Maths alongside A2 Maths).
    On the contrary, some colleges actually do AS FM alongside AS Maths; so its possible - but definitely harder.

If you feel you are great at Maths (hence doing Further Maths) you should get along alright with FP1.

D1 and D2 I'm not sure of since I'm yet to come across them (I'm second year Maths student / first year AS Further); I've heard however that D1 is one of the easiest modules, and I can imagine D2 to be slightly harder.

I'm sorry my post wasn't very conclusive, but I hope you can find it somewhat useful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.