Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I'm studying via the Open University and I'm going to be taking 120 credits per year.

    Under SFE's part-time loan programme, that's ineligible for any support beyond the tuition fee.

    Is there any reason for that? I am still going to be studying the same amount of hours as a brick university student and my living expenses are still just as real.

    Is there no financial support beyond the fee loan?

    I hear the OU can give out discretionary bursaries but I have no idea how much for and yet a full-time student, between loan and grant, in my position would receive £5-6000.

    Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

    Any course that does not actually require attendance at a brick uni will not get any funding other than tuition fees.

    Loans and grants are for living costs, such as travel and accommodation costs incurred due to the fact students need to travel to an institution. Part-time students do not have this requirement and will normally study from home.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.