Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    prospective English student at Kings which is looking like my top choice, was wondering how people are finding the English course/ uni life? answers much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm actually a third year English student at Kings so I'd be perfectly happy to answer your question.

Honestly, you could not find such a varied or diverse set of module options than right here at Kings, it's one of the main reasons I ended up choosing KCL over other universities as I didn't want a generic set of modules to choose from with no leeway in to what I wanted to specifically study or write about. Because we're based at the Strand and Kings has taught eminent writers such as Virginia Woolf or Thomas Hardy, there are certain modules in the first year which draw inspiration from these writers and other writers that have written about London.

In addition to this, the standard of our lecturers and lectures is pretty great. These lecturer's have gone to world class institutions themselves and it shows in their research and quality of lectures, for me this was important as you obviously want to be taught by the best. For example, if you're doing a Shakespeare module, you could be taught by someone who has edited prominent editions of Shakespeare texts that are used globally.

I think the number one thing I liked about my course was meeting the study abroad students who you get to know in your 2nd and 3rd year. Meeting them and getting a new perspective of the course from different people was great! We also partner with great study abroad institutions from around the world, so if you do choose Kings, definitely check these out!

In terms of uni life, you're in perhaps one of the best centrally located universities in London. There really isn't anything you can't get your hands into, and part time job opportunities within and outside Kings are great ( I did Events work which is super fun and pays well!). Our range of societies and clubs give you the scope to do whatever you want and make friends a long the way, for example, the Baking Society is awesome to try free food and meet fellow amateur bakers , that's just one of many.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions about anything else to do with English/Kings and I'd be happy to help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just visited KCL yesterday, but it was on a campus tour, so couldn't speak to anyone in the English department, so thanks for this answer! We stopped by the Virginia Woolf building and I wondered if having the department there was good - did it make it easier to meet people since it's a smaller building than the Strand one? How is city life - do you spend a lot of time on campus and do you have to be more pro-active to meet people, do you think, as compared to a campus University? And - final question - how flexible is the course - some seem to have more compulsory modules than others and often expect you to do a lot of medieval literature, for example. Can you slant the course how you like at KCL? Thanks a lot for any help you can give ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsedtobeaYorkie)
    Hi, just visited KCL yesterday, but it was on a campus tour, so couldn't speak to anyone in the English department, so thanks for this answer! We stopped by the Virginia Woolf building and I wondered if having the department there was good - did it make it easier to meet people since it's a smaller building than the Strand one? How is city life - do you spend a lot of time on campus and do you have to be more pro-active to meet people, do you think, as compared to a campus University? And - final question - how flexible is the course - some seem to have more compulsory modules than others and often expect you to do a lot of medieval literature, for example. Can you slant the course how you like at KCL? Thanks a lot for any help you can give ...
    Hiya,

Sorry for the late reply!

Just to let you know, you only have seminars at the Virginia Woolf Building, all your lectures will still be in the Strand campus so you're definitely not isolated from the Strand campus at all, in fact most of my seminars this year are at the Strand which could be the case for any English student. The VWB is mainly used for extra study space and if you need to visit your tutors and lecturers in their office hour and where you will find the English departmental office.

In terms of module flexibility, I would say you have a lot of flexibility, especially in your second or third year where you choose the modules you want to study. Of course the first year is mainly foundational modules to help get you used to different concepts and theories you wouldn't have studied at A Level, for example literary theories. This is not to say they aren't interesting however, in fact, as they really lay the ground work quite nicely for your other classes in 2nd and 3rd year.

In your 2nd year you're only required to take one medieval module and the rest are either pre-1800 or post-.1800 modules. Don't worry too much about the medieval class as there are quite a few to choose from and some are more language based or more context based. I really thought I would hate the medieval class I chose which was centred on London literature, but it ended up being really enjoyable and I actually got a first in that class. The lecturers are really engaging which was a bonus too!

Other than this requirement in your second year, you basically direct your English degree to your specification here at Kings. In fact I would say you're spoilt for choice as it can get hard choosing from so many interesting modules!

I hope this helped, let me know if you have any other queries about KCL or the course!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's all very helpful! (Are you a Student Ambassador, going by your username?) The course does look really interesting - like the Writing London module, for example. Only other question is the obvious one - how have you found it dealing with accommodation, both in the first year and afterwards? It's what everyone says when you tell them you're applying to a London Uni ... 'oh, what about accommodation?'!
    thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    No worries, and actually my username contains my initials and my university name, but I can see the resemblance!

I actually commute to uni from home as I live in London, but what I can say about accommodation is, particularly in your 2nd and 3rd year as the Kings residences tend to be given to 1st years as priority, is try and look for accommodation outside of Zones 1 and 2. The rent should be cheaper and you don't have to worry about the long distances as the TFL and London's transport links as a whole are very efficient and you'll probably be travelling the same time and distance as someone who lives closer to the campus.

From the experiences of my friends who live out, I would say dealing with accommodation isn't as bad as you may think, it's just a matter of well in advance preparation and really scoping out all your options before you move here.

But check out the accommodation pages here https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/residences/index.aspx and do get in touch with the advisors to see if they can help you out with any questions!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all your help! You make Kings sound like a really good place to go ... :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsedtobeaYorkie)
    Thanks so much for all your help! You make Kings sound like a really good place to go ... :-)
    It really is and time goes by so quickly at university so I'll definitely miss it!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.