Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What has happened to society? 12 Problems. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1) Radical feminists are demonizing men, abuse against men is ignored.
    2) Even in 2015, the divide between the rich and poor continues to expand.
    3) NOW BEFORE I SAY THIS I WANT PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND I SUPPORT SEXUAL EQUALITY.
    Young children are making CERTAIN decisions about their sexuality.
    4) Nothing is being done about how the media impacts on insecure teenagers.
    5) Relentless and pointless wars continue to ravage the Middle East.
    6) The Deep Web, intended as a sanctuary for those who were wrongfully persecuted, is now a lair where evil has a house (well, not all of it but some of it)
    7) Nothing is being done about the exponential growth of the population,
    8) Intellect is shunned by students in schools (especially in the lower years).
    9) Education is not valued enough in some countries.
    10) Society continues to believe, that we have reached perfection. No racism. No sexism. No ageism.
    11) Mental health issues are considered less than physical health issues.
    12) Humanity...is destroying the Earth...

What the hell is happening to society? Nothing is orderly, just complete chaos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaArgonian)
    1) Modern feminists are demonizing men, abuse against men is ignored.
    Young children are making decision about their sexuality.
    6) The Deep Web, intended as a sanctuary for those who were wrongfully persecuted, is now a lair where evil has a house.
    8) Intellect is shunned by students in schools.
    10) Society continues to believe, that we have reached perfection. No racism. No sexism. No ageism.

A lot of these have been part of society already, most of these are not new. A few like the deep web (which I think a lot of people overhype and pretend the worst thing in the world) and the impact of media on teens have only come about due to technology. If the technology was around earlier I imagine so would have those points - it's the way humans are.

Also a few of your points are actually things that have got better in society, like the value of education and the views on mental health (although they still need a lot of work).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    A lot of these have been part of society already, most of these are not new. A few like the deep web (which I think a lot of people overhype and pretend the worst thing in the world) and the impact of media on teens have only come about due to technology. If the technology was around earlier I imagine so would have those points - it's the way humans are.

Also a few of your points are actually things that have got better in society, like the value of education and the views on mental health (although they still need a lot of work).
    True I'll admit I over exaggerated the deep web, but still...

Improvement? For mental health maybe, but not for education.

ReputationRep:
    one could infer we live in hell, though most of us here are lucky enough to be "shielded" from it

ReputationRep:
    True I'll admit I over exaggerated the deep web, but still...

Improvement? For mental health maybe, but not for education.
    Depends how far back you are looking but for most countries education is more valued than it was 50 or 100 years ago. Before 1972 you could leave education before you were 16 and before 1988 there wasn't the national curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    So was it better before on all these points bar technological ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    6) The Deep Web, intended as a sanctuary for those who were wrongfully persecuted, is now a lair where evil has a house.
    No it isn't. It's just the sudden exposure has had media concentrate on the negative sides to create an internet boogey-man (similar to 4chan and anonymous)

If anything, intellect and popular science is more popular now than ever.

ReputationRep:
    It is no secret that education has become a for-profit industry. The exorbitant cost of college education implies that an average student has to take on tonnes of debt and/or put their parents under major financial stress. The truth is, most colleges today are merely acting as money-making machines for their private owners and so we find more and more "grad student" associates taking classes, not to mention more lucrative "sports revenue". Engineering students are made to take up "philosophy" of music and other trivial subjects merely for the institute to get ABET accreditation. Such classes are nothing but money makers for the colleges, while taking time away from necessary education.

Today, opportunities for learning and growth expand way beyond the classroom. But the demands of conventional education mean that your student life is caught up in a regimen of submissions, quizzes and tests.

Won’t it be great to have someone to assist you with all of that, so that you can go beyond and learn something extra that really differentiates you from the rest? Drop me a line to know how you can make the most of your college life!

ReputationRep:
    You wish to know why these issues exist? Because Earth is not, and nor can it ever be utopia. Human beings, by nature, are imperfect, which consequently means an imperfect world will always exist for as long as humans remain on the Earth.

Problems are however, worsened by those who have convinced themselves and others that utopia on Earth is a feasible prospect.

We begin to improve and lessen the severity of the issues you refer to only when we accept this reality, and make the best of what we have with what we have at.

Let us cease trying to change the reality of who we are.

ReputationRep:
    I think in today's society, now more than ever, it doesnt pay to care about your fellow man.

As another poster on here so fittingly put it, the 'Temple of Self' is the only altar that matters any more.

ReputationRep:
    1) Modern feminists are demonizing men, abuse against men is ignored.
    Young children are making decision about their sexuality.

You mean...... children are exploring the possibility that they aren't..... *gasp* heterosexual?!
    You're right. This is terrible. We should all absolutely abide by the restricting sexual identity labels and keep fueling the idea humans are like soup cans and are required to have labels. Also, the aforementioned labels are fluid. Children exploring their sexualities is beautiful - it's better than people reaching the age of 40 and only just realizing they're not straight.
    If you supported sexual equality and diversity you wouldn't have needed to put that - it's like people saying "I'm not racist, but..."
    Some of your points are valid, but the rest aren't, in my opinion at least. Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    No it isn't. It's just the sudden exposure has had media concentrate on the negative sides to create an internet boogey-man (similar to 4chan and anonymous)

If anything, intellect and popular science is more popular now than ever.
    Yeah I'll admit it I exaggerated the deep web. But intellect is not praised (not at my school anyway, but I suppose that's too small a sample and too bias) especially here in Kent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzad0gs)
    You mean...... children are exploring the possibility that they aren't..... *gasp* heterosexual?!
    You're right. This is terrible. We should all absolutely abide by the restricting sexual identity labels and keep fueling the idea humans are like soup cans and are required to have labels. Also, the aforementioned labels are fluid. Children exploring their sexualities is beautiful - it's better than people reaching the age of 40 and only just realizing they're not straight.
    If you supported sexual equality and diversity you wouldn't have needed to put that - it's like people saying "I'm not racist, but..."
    Some of your points are valid, but the rest aren't, in my opinion at least. Peace.
    Dude you misinterpreted me, if a child feels like they aren't heterosexual then don't be shy, but come on, they're children (I'm talking 5-8 not 10-12).

That's no different to a child saying: "I want to be a x when I'm y". Who says they'll follow that? The problem these days is children seem to think that like a can, they have a fixed purpose and fixed set of desires. No change, no change at all.

What other points were invalid?

P.S Thank you for not harassing me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imrightyourleft)
    You wish to know why these issues exist? Because Earth is not, and nor can it ever be utopia. Human beings, by nature, are imperfect, which consequently means an imperfect world will always exist for as long as humans remain on the Earth.

Problems are however, worsened by those who have convinced themselves and others that utopia on Earth is a feasible prospect.

We begin to improve and lessen the severity of the issues you refer to only when we accept this reality, and make the best of what we have with what we have at.

Let us cease trying to change the reality of who we are.
    That's true but we could make our lives a lot better if we at least try to solve these problems.

Right now that you have identified the problems what are you going to do in terms of combating them?

ReputationRep:
    Dude you misinterpreted me, if a child feels like they aren't heterosexual then don't be shy, but come on, they're children (I'm talking 5-8 not 10-12).

That's no different to a child saying: "I want to be a x when I'm y". Who says they'll follow that? The problem these days is children seem to think that like a can, they have a fixed purpose and fixed set of desires. No change, no change at all.

What other points were invalid?

P.S Thank you for not harassing me
    Oh, I get what you mean - but children will always be curious about their and each other's bodies, no matter whether they're gay, straight or anything in between. It's actually a predominantly western thing that we try to restrict this curiosity - Malinowski did some research on an Island where adults found children's sexual exploration amusing and even encouraged it. Perhaps we see sex as too taboo here, I don't know.
    I do agree with you on the thinking they have a fixed purpose bit - that's why I flat out reject the idea of labels - they feel too final.

As for other invalid points, I don't agree that modern feminists demonise men. As a feminist I don't agree that those who do so can call themselves feminists - more misandrists if anything (which I don't agree with whatsoever, by the way.) Also the deep web point, which you have elaborated upon already, and I don't think intellect is shunned by students in schools. At least, this is not a new advancement, as this has always occurred. It just depends on which school you look at - traditional education isn't for everyone

ReputationRep:
    cool story

ReputationRep:
    That's true but we could make our lives a lot better if we at least try to solve these problems.
    This is my point. You have already fallen in to the trap of arguing for something which I am stressing we should avoid.

The answer is not to solve - many, if not most of these problems cannot be solved, because as I elucidated, to attempt to solve these problems would be to assume that a utopian Earth is achievable, which it is indisputably not.

The best we can hope for is to lessen the extent and the severity of such issues, for if we try to solve or eradicate them, then we will invariably do more harm than good in any such process of attempting to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzad0gs)
    Oh, I get what you mean - but children will always be curious about their and each other's bodies, no matter whether they're gay, straight or anything in between. It's actually a predominantly western thing that we try to restrict this curiosity - Malinowski did some research on an Island where adults found children's sexual exploration amusing and even encouraged it. Perhaps we see sex as too taboo here, I don't know.
    I do agree with you on the thinking they have a fixed purpose bit - that's why I flat out reject the idea of labels - they feel too final.

As for other invalid points, I don't agree that modern feminists demonise men. As a feminist I don't agree that those who do so can call themselves feminists - more misandrists if anything (which I don't agree with whatsoever, by the way.) Also the deep web point, which you have elaborated upon already, and I don't think intellect is shunned by students in schools. At least, this is not a new advancement, as this has always occurred. It just depends on which school you look at - traditional education isn't for everyone
    Ok so:
    1) True, children are naturally inquisitive about sex
    2) Apologies, I mean radical feminists and I hate them. You want equality? You deserve it. You don't deserve superiority.
    3) I may be bias but especially in my school intelligence is shunned (especially in the lower years).
    4) Again, thanks for not harassing me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imrightyourleft)
    This is my point. You have already fallen in to the trap of arguing for something which I am stressing we should avoid.

The answer is not to solve - many, if not most of these problems cannot be solved, because as I elucidated, to attempt to solve these problems would be to assume that a utopian world is achievable, which it is indisputably not.

The best we can hope for is to lessen the extent and the severity of such issues, for if we try to solve or eradicate them, then we will invariably do more harm than good any such process of attempting to do so.
    That's what I meant, to lessen such occurrences apologies for any misinterpretation I caused.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.