Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Under paid at a new work. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently started a job that was offered to me in a residential home as an Activity Co-ordinator. I was initially applying to be a carer, however due to the people i was talking to, (the owner's son and daughter in law) i had made a very good impression to them and given me this job as my background of studies is relevant.

Anyway, they hired me part time 25 hours a week. For my first to second week of work the owner, admin and the manager kept giving me odd jobs that has nothing to do as a activity co-ordinator. To be honest they also require me to be partly as a "carer" whilst doing my main. Its my first "proper" job career since leaving University so Im not entirely sure of this is acceptable. My family and husband are not approved of it and said i shouldnt have to do them, because the actual job requires me to plan every day after work as they havent had an Activity Co-ordinator before therefore i have to do everything from scratch and also its not my job description.

Because of this, i had been working 30 hours a week. No lunch break either... Today i had just received my first pay for the month and a two weeks of working and its says that i have only done 74 hours. But ive done about 100-105 hours minimum without the "extra hours" that i had actually written down on their sign in and out sheets!...

I dont know if i should say something. Also ive been thinking of leaving as well as they had been unfair and they dont treat us and the residents well. The inspectors are due to visit us this week to question all the staff and im not sure whether to tell them what i know theyre trying to hide from them, which means they might close soon.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.