Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I'm currently studying an Access to HE Diploma and I'm applying to Warwick for law. I have been advised by many different things surrounding the need for basic GCSEs in math and English(Which I do not have). Has anyone gone to Warwick purely with the Access to HE Diploma alone? Any advice wold be most appreciated.Thanks 😊

ReputationRep:
    As I told you in the other topic, contact the department. They will be able to answer definitively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lethorio)
    As I told you in the other topic, contact the department. They will be able to answer definitively.
    Yes I have done thank you 😊 still awaiting a reply. It would be nice to speak to others that have also gone to Warwick with an access course

I'm not a student, but I'm applying to Warwick for Politics and Sociology with Access so I'm in the same boat!

I've heard Warwick are OK with Access courses, so fingers crossed. Also, I do think Warwick have GCSE requirements for all their courses - for example, I need a B in English and a C in Maths for my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea;[url="tel:60361991")
    60361991[/url]]I'm not a student, but I'm applying to Warwick for Politics and Sociology with Access so I'm in the same boat!

I've heard Warwick are OK with Access courses, so fingers crossed. Also, I do think Warwick have GCSE requirements for all their courses - for example, I need a B in English and a C in Maths for my course.
    Hiya
    I just wondered if you had any updates on your application to Warwick? I haven't heard anything yet!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am at Warwick studying law, and I was accepted with an access to higher education diploma. Truthfully there aren't many mature students and most tend to come through the centre for lifelong learning on a part time basis. However I applied through UCAS for a full time place.

The application process is different to that of students straight from A Levels. I applied through UCAS, was sent a judgement (R v Brown) to read through and answer five questions on. Then I was invited to interview (which was more of a grilling) and then I was given a conditional offer, to meet 30 credits at distinction level. There was a stipulation that I had Maths and English at GCSE Level or equivalent. However this may be something you wish to discuss with the admissions department, they are very nice and go out of their way to help you. I would advise for you to consider taking maths and English at GCSE level or equivalent as it does come in useful in brushing up on your study skills. I am surprised your diploma doesn't include options for this, as mine allowed for me to gain GCSE grade C equivalent in both, however I already had them so didn't need to do this part of the course.

I didn't hear back from Warwick for weeks after my interview, I was interviewed in the April, I didn't get confirmation of a place until June. It is not unusual. Warwick really respect mature students and are very accommodating.

I wish you good luck in your application.

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *laura_456*)
    Hi,

I am at Warwick studying law, and I was accepted with an access to higher education diploma. Truthfully there aren't many mature students and most tend to come through the centre for lifelong learning on a part time basis. However I applied through UCAS for a full time place.

The application process is different to that of students straight from A Levels. I applied through UCAS, was sent a judgement (R v Brown) to read through and answer five questions on. Then I was invited to interview (which was more of a grilling) and then I was given a conditional offer, to meet 30 credits at distinction level. There was a stipulation that I had Maths and English at GCSE Level or equivalent. However this may be something you wish to discuss with the admissions department, they are very nice and go out of their way to help you. I would advise for you to consider taking maths and English at GCSE level or equivalent as it does come in useful in brushing up on your study skills. I am surprised your diploma doesn't include options for this, as mine allowed for me to gain GCSE grade C equivalent in both, however I already had them so didn't need to do this part of the course.

I didn't hear back from Warwick for weeks after my interview, I was interviewed in the April, I didn't get confirmation of a place until June. It is not unusual. Warwick really respect mature students and are very accommodating.

I wish you good luck in your application.

Laura
    Hello Laura,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your experience, I am very grateful.
    Your experience gives me hope! I applied to Warwick due to the feedback my tutor was getting from my teachers on my Access course. My work as they say is "of very high standard" My motivation for wanting to practice law fills me with such enthusiasm! I am genuinely enjoying every minute of my course and I can't learn enough!
    I do not have a maths GCSE or equivalent but I am doing an English GCSE. If I am lucky enough for them to consider me I will talk this through to see what my options are. To be honest my heart is so set on Warwick that if they wanted the math I would defer for a year so i could take it, although this is not ideal at my age haha! What year are you in Laura? How are you finding the course so far? I will have to keep you posted.

Thanks again,
    Natalie.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.