Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help with my university choices watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am having some difficulty picking my 5 courses to study undergrad history at uni. I got decent gcses and last year in my as levels I got ABBE ( I dropped the E subject obviously 😃) I am predicted AAB, and am therefore considering Southampton, Birmingham, Kent, Royal Holloway and Brunel. Southampton or Birmingham would likely be my first choice, and many people have been surprised I've looked at 3 safer options and not tried for say Bristol or Warwick. Am I being too risk averse? Any other good unis to do history at AAB? I personally think I can at least get AAA, I'm really confident in my personal statement, so should I be aiming higher? If so which of Kent, Royal Holloway and Brunel would I leave out in place of another? Any help really appreciated 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelw76)
    I am having some difficulty picking my 5 courses to study undergrad history at uni. I got decent gcses and last year in my as levels I got ABBE ( I dropped the E subject obviously 😃) I am predicted AAB, and am therefore considering Southampton, Birmingham, Kent, Royal Holloway and Brunel. Southampton or Birmingham would likely be my first choice, and many people have been surprised I've looked at 3 safer options and not tried for say Bristol or Warwick. Am I being too risk averse? Any other good unis to do history at AAB? I personally think I can at least get AAA, I'm really confident in my personal statement, so should I be aiming higher? If so which of Kent, Royal Holloway and Brunel would I leave out in place of another? Any help really appreciated 😊
    I like your list, Birmingham, Southampton and Holloway are clearly the big guys. I would agree with Warwick, perhaps you should add one more "higher" uni, of course it doesn't matter much in the long-rune but your grades are impressive. I would remove Brunel from that list and switch it for something else. Maybe change Kent for Queen Mary and Brunel for Warwick? Just a thought!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the reply, your suggestions are great hadn't looked at queen Mary but will now! Do you think Royal Holloway is better than Kent though? Thank you anyway 😊

ReputationRep:
    I hold broadly similar opinions to the above.

Note that Southampton will drop to ABB if you get an A in EPQ (if you are doing one) and Royal Holloway will typically offer ABB if you study A-level History. Given that Kent is ABB anyway, you would have 2-3 unis at a grade below your predictions and significantly below your personal ambitions. Given that Brunel is far better at science, engineering and technology than history I think you can safely discard it in favour of somewhere better.

One approach is to apply initially with, say, three unis. You can then see what response you get before deciding whether to go 'high' or 'low' with your final choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    I hold broadly similar opinions to the above.

Note that Southampton will drop to ABB if you get an A in EPQ (if you are doing one) and Royal Holloway will typically offer ABB if you study A-level History. Given that Kent is ABB anyway, you would have 2-3 unis at a grade below your predictions and significantly below your personal ambitions. Given that Brunel is far better at science, engineering and technology than history I think you can safely discard it in favour of somewhere better.

One approach is to apply initially with, say, three unis. You can then see what response you get before deciding whether to go 'high' or 'low' with your final choices.
    Cheers for responding, unfortunately I'm not doing an EPQ, but I am doing history which was my A from last year so hopefully I will get that offer from Royal Holloway. I actually didn't know you could do that, I thought you had to apply for 5 in one go. That sounds like a sound plan, although would a prestigious uni such as Warwick discount my application if I applied quite late due to waiting for a response from the others? Thank you again 😊

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for responding, unfortunately I'm not doing an EPQ, but I am doing history which was my A from last year so hopefully I will get that offer from Royal Holloway. I actually didn't know you could do that, I thought you had to apply for 5 in one go. That sounds like a sound plan, although would a prestigious uni such as Warwick discount my application if I applied quite late due to waiting for a response from the others? Thank you again 😊
    It's a useful tactic that should be better known.

No, you will be fine applying later. Unis are well used to this.

Don't apply to e.g. Warwick just for the sake if it. Look closely at the modules you would study and the environment in which you would work and live.

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at the modules I think Warwick wont be an option for me, to limited in the number of different eras of history studied. I have had a look at Exeter, the course looks good, entry requirements are AAB-AAA*, is this unrealistic for me?
    In addition, I have been told its slightly in the middle of nowhere and is quite snobby, any thoughts on this? Thank you again for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at the modules I think Warwick wont be an option for me, to limited in the number of different eras of history studied. I have had a look at Exeter, the course looks good, entry requirements are AAB-AAA*, is this unrealistic for me?In addition, I have been told its slightly in the middle of nowhere and is quite snobby, any thoughts on this? Thank you again for your help.
    The main Exeter history course is excellent; the one at their Penryn campus is considerably less so. My son studied drama there and lived there for a couple of years afterwards, so I am reasonably familiar with Exeter from visiting him. Exeter is a nice, smallish city with a pleasant campus which is fairly close to the city centre. While I wouldn't call it 'snobby', it is fair to say that there is a high proportion of students of middle-class origin - so do other unis, of course. As for being in the middle of nowhere, I suppose it is relatively isolated from the rest of the UK. However, as I said above, the campus is virtually in the city. Warwick otoh is physically quite isolated and closer to Coventry than Warwick.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.