Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am applying to do the Marine Conservation course at Cornwall College, Newquay campus and want more info on it? There seems to be minimal student info and I'm interested in accommodation, location and how people found the course etc.

If there's anybody out there heeeeeeelllllp

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Same situation here, applying for Surf Science and Technology and there's very little info on the place!

ReputationRep:
    I went to secondary school in Newquay and grew up in the area ( still live about 20 mins away haha). Can't talk much about the college itself as I didn't go there but the campus itself is tiny and backs onto a leisure centre with a gym and swimming pool. Theres also a public footpath that runs directly by the campus so expect a lot of people walking past. It's also my understanding that a lot of secondary level BTEC courses are taught there as the secondary schools in the town don't have the facilities.

It's probably a good 15/20 minuet walk from Newquay town centre, ( which isn't massive- if you're moving to cornwall from a city your in for a shock) but there are buses. Nightlife in Newquay is pretty good, lots of clubs and things but they all have the same atmosphere. There also loads of locals pups full of typical cornish boys and a cinema ( a rarity in a cornish town!!) . It's not particularly a student city as there are no universities in cornwall at all. The 'city' of Cornwall is Truro which you can access by bus ( although, they probably will never turn up so have fun with that). In the summer months expect the prices of everything to go up ( tourism is the main industry). The streets will also become full of holiday makers so its best to avoid the town in the summer ( although board masters is worth it!) . Its also probably worth investing in an locals card as you can get discounts and things.

I'm probably making this all sound really negative but having lived there my whole life I'm leaving in September to go to uni out of county, so maybe I'm biased haha. Newquay does have some really good points, you're surrounded by amazing scenery and countryside. For the most part the locals are friendly and the surf is amazing! No to mention if you're doing marine and surf courses you literally couldn't be in a better place.

Only other thing to remember is that 3G in cornwall basically dosent exist, and housing prices can be insane in places which might affect 2nd year.

Good luck with your applications and if you have any more questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I came to Newquay a year ago to study at the college (although I quit my course as I didn't enjoy it and had too much going on at the time to fully focus). There are no halls down here in Newquay, so you will have to rent a room, which can cost anywhere for £60-70 a week upwards. The nightlife is pretty good here, lots of bars and clubs, many with offers for locals available, some even offering student nights (Walkabout). The college itself is very small, located behind the zoo, about a 15 min walk from the main town. There are no clubs or societies that I know of (other than the invasive non-native species group), but the support offered as it is such a small college is impressive. I left due to mental illness and they tried very hard to accommodate for me before I made the decision to leave completely. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the course you're looking into but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!

Unfortunately I am leaving Newquay for good on the weekend because I am unable to find a job now that it is winter and can't pay my rent.. Which breaks my heart as I have fallen in love with this town over the past year.. So yeah, another thing, jobs are only really available during the summer as it is a tourist destination and there isn't much work going during the winter...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.