Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you anxious or eager to graduate? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to some of my peers today about graduation. For reference, we're fourth years. They all said that they weren't looking forward to graduating at all and would put it off for longer if that could. Quite a few were intercalators who said that staving off graduation was a factor in their desire to intercalate. A lot of their friends have just finished applying for their deaneries and they said they dreaded having to do the same.

But quite a lot of the non-intercalators said they weren't looking forward to it either. A lot of reasons were cited - fear of the workload, stress, and repsonsibility of being an F1. Enjoying the student lifestyle and not wanting to join the 'real world'. The junior doctor contract changes. Etc.

I guess this really surprised me, because I can't wait to graduate. Over the last year or so I have really started to enjoy uni and studying medicine, and feel like I have grown a lot as a person. But almost because of that, it has made me want to move on. I am done with being a student, I'm sick of student housing, I want to live somewhere different. As a medical student specifically, I hate feeling like a burden and that people have to take time out from patient care to explain things to me and teach me. I want to be a useful part of the team, I want to work, yeah - I want to make some money!

Don't get me wrong, I know that I have nearly 2 more years of stuff to learn, and I'm nowhere close to ready to be a doctor. I am enjoying being a medical student overall and more than happy to spend the next two years committing myself to that. But at the same time... graduation can't come fast enough, as far as I'm concerned

I just want to get some other perspectives on this, as I was really surprised to find myself in the minority. Why are you looking forward to or dreading graduation?

ReputationRep:
    Final year here... yeah, I can't wait to graduate... or more precisely, I can't wait to get to the end of finals. The workload can't really be bigger than it is now in the few months before finals and making some money will be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    I was talking to some of my peers today about graduation. For reference, we're fourth years. They all said that they weren't looking forward to graduating at all and would put it off for longer if that could. Quite a few were intercalators who said that staving off graduation was a factor in their desire to intercalate. A lot of their friends have just finished applying for their deaneries and they said they dreaded having to do the same.

But quite a lot of the non-intercalators said they weren't looking forward to it either. A lot of reasons were cited - fear of the workload, stress, and repsonsibility of being an F1. Enjoying the student lifestyle and not wanting to join the 'real world'. The junior doctor contract changes. Etc.

I guess this really surprised me, because I can't wait to graduate. Over the last year or so I have really started to enjoy uni and studying medicine, and feel like I have grown a lot as a person. But almost because of that, it has made me want to move on. I am done with being a student, I'm sick of student housing, I want to live somewhere different. As a medical student specifically, I hate feeling like a burden and that people have to take time out from patient care to explain things to me and teach me. I want to be a useful part of the team, I want to work, yeah - I want to make some money!

Don't get me wrong, I know that I have nearly 2 more years of stuff to learn, and I'm nowhere close to ready to be a doctor. I am enjoying being a medical student overall and more than happy to spend the next two years committing myself to that. But at the same time... graduation can't come fast enough, as far as I'm concerned

I just want to get some other perspectives on this, as I was really surprised to find myself in the minority. Why are you looking forward to or dreading graduation?
    When i intercalated i wasn't too bothered about qualifying however having returned for final year i now can't wait! It's particularly bad at the moment as all of our rotations before christmas are in specialties i have absolutely no interest in and hence find it a struggle to motivate myself to work.

My intercalated year also means i am pretty skint at the moment so i am pretty keen to earn some cash.

In a strange way i am also quite keen to start getting on with my career and begin training in the specialty i actually want to do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I intercalated after 4th year instead of going into final year. Right now I'm pretty glad about the decision (in terms of graduation, but that isn't why I did it) given the contract is all up in the air still. I don't like that kind of uncertainty about how my entire life is going to be...

ReputationRep:
    Doctors contracts are constantly changing though. Once this change is sorted there will be another in a year or 2s time. Politicians love to meddle with the NHS and spend millions rearranging the deck chairs and then wondering why there's no money for treating the patients.
    The GP contract has changed hugely since I started as a GP in the 80s.
    The actual job is still much the same though. Higher expectations and more complex and protocol driven management but variations on a theme.
    The way junior doctors now can't choose where they want to do their training and apply centrally for rotations is ridiculous and a bad move for recruiting docs who want to work in a particular location.
    When you end up as a consultant or GP you get to stay in 1 place.
    Most other jobs are constantly changing as well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    Most other jobs are constantly changing as well.
    Can't think of a single other job where you don't know what the terms of your contract are going to be before you start though.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to know I'm not alone!

I spend way too much time dreaming about graduating, moving, and even thinking about F3. Major sign of burnout I guess. Can't wait for Christmas and some time to recharge

ReputationRep:
    I'm only in my first year out of four (I'm a graduate) and I'm already looking forward to graduation, although pretty terrified of the many exams which stand in its way! I already have a degree so I guess the whole student experience doesn't sit with me in the same way anymore, so I just see 4 years of study as a necessary part of what I actually want to do, which is be a doctor. I also want to earn money, do something useful, and be able to come home in the evenings without having to worry (too much) about studying.

ReputationRep:
    Wait til you hit speciality training and the exams which come with them. I know people who have sat the anaesthetic primary 3 times. At least 6 months to a year studying for each attempt on top of a full time training post and audits. Many on the run up to consultant also go through the hell of PHD, PGCE or MD study too. You will never not be a student for as long as you are a doctor :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyra1987)
    Wait til you hit speciality training and the exams which come with them. I know people who have sat the anaesthetic primary 3 times. At least 6 months to a year studying for each attempt on top of a full time training post and audits. Many on the run up to consultant also go through the hell of PHD, PGCE or MD study too. You will never not be a student for as long as you are a doctor :P
    It depends what you want to do I guess. My brother never went into training and is raking it in as a senior reg in A&E. A friend of his works approx 7 days a month of horrific locum shifts, and spends the rest of his time rock climbing. A friend of mine recently qualified as a GP and is planning to work part time as soon as she gets pregnant. There are definitely lower stress options in medicine and I think the career is what you make of it.

Maybe this is all the naivety of someone who just hasn't got there yet, but I remain optimistic that I'll be able to have a decent life without having to put myself through the mangle of training towards consultancy...

ReputationRep:
    True. I am still trying to get into med school but my partner is a doctor and I work close to a lot of doctors at various stages of their career.

I am not going in for money, I am a grad entry and not even interested in the race to consultant. Happy to take breaks in training throughout to travel and do expedition medicine.

Even if I don't make consultant (stay at staff grade) I will be happy as I will be doing the job I set out to do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.