Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS Retake 2016. Help, please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could help me:
    Basically in August I found that I had got a C in my AS WJEC Film Studies exam. As my teacher thought I could get an A, she ordered the paper back. It turned out I'd made a lot of silly mistakes that cost me my grades, and she told me that I actually had A-Grade knowledge but not the right exam technique. I am retaking this exam in order to get my B (and from what she's said possibly an A) at A-Level.

How should I go about revising for this? When should I start? Last year I started all my revision about Easter but will admit to slacking on FS a little because Sociology was my weakest subject at the time. I have some of my notes from last year but not all of them.

I am panicking a little about this and would appreciate any help. Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    I was wondering if anyone could help me:
    Basically in August I found that I had got a C in my AS WJEC Film Studies exam. As my teacher thought I could get an A, she ordered the paper back. It turned out I'd made a lot of silly mistakes that cost me my grades, and she told me that I actually had A-Grade knowledge but not the right exam technique. I am retaking this exam in order to get my B (and from what she's said possibly an A) at A-Level.

How should I go about revising for this? When should I start? Last year I started all my revision about Easter but will admit to slacking on FS a little because Sociology was my weakest subject at the time. I have some of my notes from last year but not all of them.

I am panicking a little about this and would appreciate any help. Thank you so much!
    To be honest I really don't know how you should go about revising because I have never done essay subjects, but what I can say is that you should start revising as soon as now as you will mostly be engaged in your A2 studies. Perhaps read the specification to see what is required in the exam because that's the only liable source from the exam board.

After doing a past paper, you should go through the mark scheme , along with examiner's report, and read them very carefully. Although this sounds tedious, that's the best way of mastering exam techniques.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So I've just finished my a2 year, I did two AS re-sits, one was in sociology where I re-sat a U grade and managed to get a B second time around jumping up 4 grades and changed my overall grade from a D to a B and what I did was attend AS lessons in my free periods alongside A2 lessons which my teacher allowed (I did this after Christmas) I then picked up extra notes and extra knowledge but I too didn't start revising until late (maybe a month before) but I felt that helped me due to it being closer to the exam so I remembered it more, but it wasn't exactly slacking because I was attending classes from January so maybe that's an idea for you, hope this helped
    P.s a good revision technique is doing past paper questions and looking at the mark scheme and making notes/highlighting what key points they are looking out for them branch those points out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Char411)
    Hi! So I've just finished my a2 year, I did two AS re-sits, one was in sociology where I re-sat a U grade and managed to get a B second time around jumping up 4 grades and changed my overall grade from a D to a B and what I did was attend AS lessons in my free periods alongside A2 lessons which my teacher allowed (I did this after Christmas) I then picked up extra notes and extra knowledge but I too didn't start revising until late (maybe a month before) but I felt that helped me due to it being closer to the exam so I remembered it more, but it wasn't exactly slacking because I was attending classes from January so maybe that's an idea for you, hope this helped
    P.s a good revision technique is doing past paper questions and looking at the mark scheme and making notes/highlighting what key points they are looking out for them branch those points out!
    I cannot join AS lessons due to timetable clashes unfortunately. Thank you so much, I will definitely follow your advice! I'm trying to get a C to a B/A and it was mostly due to (annoying) mistakes - I lost 10 marks because I didn't mention a source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    I cannot join AS lessons due to timetable clashes unfortunately. Thank you so much, I will definitely follow your advice! I'm trying to get a C to a B/A and it was mostly due to (annoying) mistakes - I lost 10 marks because I didn't mention a source.
    Ahh right well maybe go to revision sessions for AS once they start near exam time! And that's frustrating, exam pressure can cause you to forget to put things in which is annoying, best of luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Char411)
    Ahh right well maybe go to revision sessions for AS once they start near exam time! And that's frustrating, exam pressure can cause you to forget to put things in which is annoying, best of luck anyway!
    Yes, that's what my teacher suggested I was (and still am) annoyed by it though haha
    Thanks again, best of luck in whatever you're doing as well!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.