Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am just wondering if someone can give me a bit of help with this binomial distribution probability question. I think I have taken something relatively simple and totally overcomplicated it, so simple explanations and step by step process would be ideal.

A bowl contains 2 cubes, a white and a black. Pick one at random, then return to the bowl. Do this a total of four times. Using the binomial distribution equation find the probability of ...

a) picking a white cube 4 times
    b) picking a white cube 3 times
    c) never picking a white cube

Please talk through each step as I have really confused myself now. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisa14)
    Hey guys,

I am just wondering if someone can give me a bit of help with this binomial distribution probability question. I think I have taken something relatively simple and totally overcomplicated it, so simple explanations and step by step process would be ideal.

A bowl contains 2 cubes, a white and a black. Pick one at random, then return to the bowl. Do this a total of four times. Using the binomial distribution equation find the probability of ...

a) picking a white cube 4 times
    b) picking a white cube 3 times
    c) never picking a white cube

Please talk through each step as I have really confused myself now. Thank you!
    Let X denote the number of times a white cube is picked so X - B(4, 0.5) (the 0.5 probability is only true if the cubes are the same size but they probably just expect you to assume equal probability and not think about that)

Then just plug into the formulas.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.