The Student Room Group

I don't know how to revise?

I'm in year 11 now, but in my year 10 mocks I got one A*, one B, and 5 C's. I didn't really revise for any of them (because I don't know any ways), and I want to get better grades in my next mocks. I'm not one of those people who can just read from a book and memorise it all, I need some sort of method? Does anybody recommend anything?
Reply 1
Past papers always help, it's just lots of practice.
When are they?
Reply 3
Original post by MyGCSESubjects
When are they?

They start on the 16th of November, and our teachers told us to revise about a week ago. The school has everyone use a computer program called SAM Learning to revise, but that doesn't really work for me.
I am also struggling with my revision - examinations start for me on the 16th November! Maybe we can exchange ideas over private message?
Reply 5
Original post by SamSp123
I'm in year 11 now, but in my year 10 mocks I got one A*, one B, and 5 C's. I didn't really revise for any of them (because I don't know any ways), and I want to get better grades in my next mocks. I'm not one of those people who can just read from a book and memorise it all, I need some sort of method? Does anybody recommend anything?

Make short notes from your textbook.
Make mindmaps and link ideas.
Do past papers! Past papers are literally the key to doing well (:
Reply 6
You don't always have to revise by just writing down notes on paper and repeat them to yourself.

There's plenty of more engaging resources out there such as Flashcard Hero and Gojimo (which basically makes the flashcards for you).

Here's a link to download it if you need it. m.onelink.me/8b4238b6.
Reply 7
Original post by SteveBiko
You don't always have to revise by just writing down notes on paper and repeat them to yourself.

There's plenty of more engaging resources out there such as Flashcard Hero and Gojimo (which basically makes the flashcards for you).

Here's a link to download it if you need it. m.onelink.me/8b4238b6.

m.onelink.me/8b4238b6 Sorry that full stop might stop it from working. And good luck with the revision!
Reply 8
Sorry for the late replies everyone, I was making a revision timetable. Thanks for all of your help! And "MyGCSESubjects" I would like to exchange ideas over private message :biggrin:
Reply 9
It varies from person to person but take it from a successful GCSE student that simply writing 'notes' doesn't always work. Try using post it notes to summarise key points and sticking them in your textbook over the appropriate sections. Even if you don't have a photographic memory like me, i somehow was able to remember the colour of the post it note on say Osmosis in my biology exam and could remember the three key words on that post it note and this will help you to remember what you learnt. For GCSEs note taking can definitely help but at A-Levels, you will need to find other ways. For me personally, mind maps never worked and i thought of them to be a waste of time so i didn't bother with those but post it notes really helped me so yeah do what best suits you!
Reply 10
I've got my mocks in a bit less than two weeks - not really looking forward to it aha.

For my previous mocks, I spend most of my time just reading over my work (rather than actively writing out notes) and skimming through past questions as well as examiners' reports; it worked for the time when I had much less to worry about and remember.

Now, I didn't really like my methods of just reading over my work (and just winging it) so what I'm doing right now involves condensing notes for each topic into a few A4 pages (using loads of colours) - it also helps if you have a revision guide or a good website which covers the spec. Like the other responses, past papers are good as well to become familiar with the layout and style.

Quick Reply

Latest