Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

pixel size ... astrophysics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    any one know the size of an individual pixel in a photographic plate and a Ccd ?

and y is it better to use ccd ... i know one of em is higher quantam efficiency ... wat is tht exactly ?

ReputationRep:
    Photographic emulsion size is between 0.1 and 1 micro meter, and CCD pixel size is between 5 and 50 micro metres.

CCDs give a high QE, which means upto 98% of photons arriving at the pixel generate a current and are recorded. They also have a high linearity, meaning the number of photons striking the plate is directly proportional to the number of detections.

Some more stuff:

CCDs are expensive, and must be cooled with liquid nitrogen. They also have a large spectral response, meaning lots of different wavelengths can be recorded, and have a large dynamic range, meaning lots of different intensities can be recorded for easy comparison.

ReputationRep:
    write all the stuff you know that might come up that isnt already in the nelson thornes book. cause there is a lot that always comes up that ive never even seen in the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tennis)
    write all the stuff you know that might come up that isnt already in the nelson thornes book. cause there is a lot that always comes up that ive never even seen in the book.
    thts true ... i got all my info of the net ....

thnks for the help mik1a ....

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.