Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not referring to a story now. I'm referring to a declaration made by the Palestinian Liberation Organisation, led by Yassir Arafat (which now forms the Palestinian Authority), in 1964.

Following 1948, Gaza was controlled by Egypt and the West Bank by Jordan. The Palestinians made no demands for self-government in those areas nor did they refer to the Egyptian military government in Gaza as an occupation. And then in 1964 the Palestinian Liberation Organisation promulgated their charter in which they ceded Gaza and the West Bank to Egypt and Jordan respectively (article 24)

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...ace/cove1.html

While I myself emphatically oppose the settlements and fervently hope for a negotiated solution, I also believe that the visceral nature of the hatred of Israel, the hyper-obsessive focus on Israel, is clarified by this statement in their 1964 charter. It seems one is only an occupier if one is Jewish.

ReputationRep:
    Well, for a start, the PLO was not led by Arafat in 1964 - he didn't even join the PLO until after the Six Day War.

The section of Article 24 you seem to be referring to says "This Organization does not exercise any regional sovereignty over the West Bank in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, on the Gaza Strip or the Himmah Area." That seems to be more a statement of fact that the PLO lacked any territorial control. It would be a very bizarre choice of words for abandoning a legal or moral claim to territory. But most significantly of all, Article 2 says "Palestine with its boundaries at the time of the British Mandate is a regional indivisible unit.", which would explicitly contradict a reading of 24 as "ceding" the areas mentioned.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.