Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mocks start 16/11/15: How many hours a day of revision? watch

ReputationRep:
    How many hours of revision would you recommend to do in a day? I am taking 10 or 11 subjects - can't remember.

Today I did Geography and Computer Science - around an hour in total. Meanwhile, on other days, I have done around 3 hours of revision but not entirely understood the syllabi. I've done a lot of past papers, all of which I have scored around 60% or below.

Any tips on making sense of things straight away? How can I make my revision quicker and more efficient? How can I make information stick on my mind for more than just one day? Should I revisit a topic on the same day?

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL... HOW CAN I SUCCESSFULLY APPLY MY KNOWLEDGE IN AN EXAM SITUATION?

ReputationRep:
    Revise a little at a time an don't stress too bad - use your teacher if you're getting below 60% : find your weaknesses and practice them specifically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Direland)
    How many hours of revision would you recommend to do in a day? I am taking 10 or 11 subjects - can't remember.

Today I did Geography and Computer Science - around an hour in total. Meanwhile, on other days, I have done around 3 hours of revision but not entirely understood the syllabi. I've done a lot of past papers, all of which I have scored around 60% or below.

Any tips on making sense of things straight away? How can I make my revision quicker and more efficient? How can I make information stick on my mind for more than just one day? Should I revisit a topic on the same day?

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL... HOW CAN I SUCCESSFULLY APPLY MY KNOWLEDGE IN AN EXAM SITUATION?
    Firstly, make as much use of the time left of the half term as possible for you. This is a great time to learn as much as possible! I think the best strategy to take is to firstly learn all the knowledge necessary. However, don't rush this because you need to understand the syllabi to apply it successfully. I usually write out the things I find difficult to remember again and again. If I don't understand anything, I search for it in youtube where it can be simply explained to me.
    You can make revision quicker and more efficient by spending less time on the concepts you understand and more time on the things you don't. Perhaps you should take a quiz to find out what type of learner you are so you can maximise the amount of info you can take in! I would advise not to revisit a topic on the same day, you'll probably get bored! There is a method which many people use when you revise for 25 minutes then take a 5 minute break and repeat. This is supposed to help your brain take in information.
    In terms of applying information successfully in the examine, read over the question a few times so you are certain what they are looking for in your answer. Picture your textbook in your mind so you can visualise where the information is on the page. For example if a chemistry question wants to evaluate the suitability of a material, evaluate is the key word, so you need to write the advantages and disadvantages! You need to understand keep concepts for an exam at least, so that you can develop on them if needed. Don't rush in an exam, read everything carefully and stay calm because if your really nervous you make stupid mistakes (which I have a lot of experience in loll). Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.