Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you get into uni with Diploma in Higher Education? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year IR student at Edinburgh and I can leave at the end of the year with a Diploma in Higher education. I want to apply to study English literature because I don't like my course. I want to just give it a shot with UCL and Durham and if I didn't get in it's no big deal. I can always apply next year. I haven't done A2 English lit, only AS. And my A levels aren't amazing at AABb (but the B was 319/400 and remark didn't help). So Durham's offer is A*AA, I have AABb and no A2 english lit. is there any chance they'll just accept my DipHe instead of A levels? I'm doing English Language and Linguistics as well as Philosophy of Language now. (as outside subjects)

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to ask your respective universities. A HE diploma is USUALLY sufficient but depending on the universities criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92xo)
    You'll need to ask your respective universities. A HE diploma is USUALLY sufficient but depending on the universities criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Check your funding situation - you might not be entitled to the five years of student finance needed for that plan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jantaculum has a good point about funding. A DipHE is the equivalent of the first two years of a degree. Under the Student Finance ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualifications) rule, this automatically means that you wouldn't get any Student Finance for the first two years of a new degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Jantaculum has a good point about funding. A DipHE is the equivalent of the first two years of a degree. Under the Student Finance ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualifications) rule, this automatically means that you wouldn't get any Student Finance for the first two years of a new degree.
    That doesn't matter because I'm international. I just don't know if I can use that instead of A levels. I mean I have a levels but AABb and no A2 English lit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It depends on the school. Some schools love to take a holistic approach at the way they access students.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    UCL English is very, very competitive. If you can do an English Lit A level then I think you have a good chance, if you can't do it, or don't get an A, you have no chance.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a mature student and have several years experience there is a good chance. A DipH is equivalent to a foundation degree (ie a degree without the 'hons' bit) so you have proved that you can study at HE level. Contact the unis you are interested in and have a chat with their admissions team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A DipHE is the runners up prize that you get when you drop out of a degree at the end of year 2 isn't it?

I would assume that if you had a DipHE you'd be admitted to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ftmshk)
    If you are a mature student and have several years experience there is a good chance. A DipH is equivalent to a foundation degree (ie a degree without the 'hons' bit) so you have proved that you can study at HE level. Contact the unis you are interested in and have a chat with their admissions team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A degree without the honours bit is surely just an "ordinary degree" isn't it? It's the full degree minus the dissertation ie a BSc instead of a BSc(Hons)

That's not the same as a foundation degree which is basically a two year degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    A degree without the honours bit is surely just an "ordinary degree" isn't it? It's the full degree minus the dissertation ie a BSc instead of a BSc(Hons)

That's not the same as a foundation degree which is basically a two year degree.
    A degree without honours is a degree with 300 with if credits i.e. a degree without the dissertation.

A DipHE is 240 credits of a degree comprising years 1 and 2 of an honours degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    A degree without honours is a degree with 300 with if credits i.e. a degree without the dissertation.

A DipHE is 240 credits of a degree comprising years 1 and 2 of an honours degree.
    And a CertHE is 120 credits of a degree awarded to folks that make it through year 1 and then quit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Howard)
    And a CertHE is 120 credits of a degree awarded to folks that make it through year 1 and then quit.
    That is a bit of a generalisation. I didn't quit, I signed up for a CertHE and that's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    That is a bit of a generalisation. I didn't quit, I signed up for a CertHE and that's what I did.
    Fair enough. That's a bit unusual though. Not many people go for a CertHE as a stand alone qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Well I had to do a dissertation for mine. It was quite a while ago though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.