Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much was insurance on your first car? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What was your age and car/model and engine size/how long had you held your licence?

I'm 21 and today got business insurance on a 2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec for £880, 1.4 litre. I passed last week

Is that good?

ReputationRep:
    Toyota Yaris 2001 reg. Was 17 and got it insured the day I passed. 1.1 I think (it was over 3 years ago!) £650/year insurance. Next year it was £600 and then £550 when I got my Toyota starlet 1.1l '97 reg and now £500 woo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    What was your age and car/model and engine size/how long had you held your licence?

I'm 21 and today got business insurance on a 2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec for £880, 1.4 litre. I passed last week

Is that good?
    Seems like a lot for a car that's 13 years old.

ReputationRep:
    passed when i was 18 but didnt drive untill 19.

BMW 1 series, 2006 reg, £1800 with a damn speed box. In all honesty you got a smashing quote.

ReputationRep:
    Passed when I was 17, got my first car at 18 once I had had my license for ~6months. 1998 Nissan Micra 1.0 worth £500. Spent £1500 insuring it (it would have been £2800 if I had insured it the day I passed when I was 17).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Passed when I was 17, got my first car at 18 once I had had my license for ~6months. 1998 Nissan Micra 1.0 worth £500. Spent £1500 insuring it (it would have been £2800 if I had insured it the day I passed when I was 17).
    Bloody hell why so expensive???? I had a Micra for a couple months before i passed my test as practice and it would have been £700 to insure when I passed (I had to get rid as the engine sorta exploded but yknow)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    Bloody hell why so expensive???? I had a Micra for a couple months before i passed my test as practice and it would have been £700 to insure when I passed (I had to get rid as the engine sorta exploded but yknow)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No idea. That seemed to be about the going rate for all small cars. I was in a fairl decent area too (insurance rate C) This was a year before the insurance equality stuff came in though, if I was a lass it wouldve been about half as much. (at 17 I was getting £2800 quotes that changed to £1500 if I chAnged my title to Ms). My 2nd years insurance was £650 on the same car (18 with license for over a year, 0NCB because I canceled the last policy early), this was just after the insurance equality stuff (I noticed a good 20% drop from that alone).

But hey 4 years later its now £450 and I get a 2.5L xD.

ReputationRep:
    Only losers pay for insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PizzaLover1992)
    Only losers pay for insurance.
    Haha, its way to easy to get caught nowadays for an IN10. As for declaring all the pish insurers want from you now... aye f*ck that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Haha, its way to easy to get caught nowadays for an IN10. As for declaring all the pish insurers want from you now... aye f*ck that.
    Could always use false plates?

Bank of mother and father pay for mines along with my last 5 cars I wrote off.

ReputationRep:
    2006 Peugeot 107, 1 litre. Can't remember the exact amount but it was between £1000-1100 for my first year driving (starting the same day I passed my test at age 18).

It was on black box insurance, and it's gone down to 600 and something pounds this year (it's only my 2nd year driving).

ReputationRep:
    the reason why i don't drive is this my car of choice would cost me £450 to buy but this cheapest insurance quote is £9115.91
    per yearMonthly premium1 x £2,734.777 x £981.05Total £9,602.12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    the reason why i don't drive is this my car of choice would cost me £450 to buy but this cheapest insurance quote is £9115.91
    per yearMonthly premium1 x £2,734.777 x £981.05Total £9,602.12
    What type of car is that? How long have you been driving?

ReputationRep:
    my first car a 1999 bmw saloon and it was just after i passed my test
    (Original post by RFowler)
    What type of car is that? How long have you been driving?

ReputationRep:
    Just passed, and i'm paying £2200 on insurance for the year. 2012-14 Fiesta. (Black box, too)

Utterly ridiculous, but because I live in London, the rates are so astronomically high.

Spent around 3 weeks searching, and started at quotes with £3000.

Perhaps I should have waited before buying a car... too late now, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOP97)
    Just passed, and i'm paying £2200 on insurance for the year. 2012-14 Fiesta. (Black box, too)

Utterly ridiculous, but because I live in London, the rates are so astronomically high.

Spent around 3 weeks searching, and started at quotes with £3000.

Perhaps I should have waited before buying a car... too late now, though.
    I'd sell the car and get something with cheaper insurance and buy it again in a year or two

ReputationRep:
    Vauxhall astra 12 plate i paid like £5k in total.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    I'd sell the car and get something with cheaper insurance and buy it again in a year or two
    Nah. It's too late now.

All insurances, even for cars that are 10 years old and have 1 litre engines, are in the range of 2k. It's because of my age, date I got my license, and my postcode.

ReputationRep:
    I drive a Nissan micra 2000, 22 years old and pay 1,200 for my insurance (with a 100 pound charge to pay monthly instead of all at once)
    if I got a black box would of been 900, but since I take my car all across the country they weren't happy with the whole not parked at your address thing.

Only 5 months left of my first year of insurance can't wait, hope it goes down. £120 a month (I have break down and the over 25s can drive feature so pay a little bit more) but fingers crossed for anything under £1000!!

ReputationRep:
    i drive a reno clio 2002 reg and have had it for 4 months - cost me £1800 with a black box. was the cheapest i could find, even though i passed my test in 2013 :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.