The Student Room Group

Can i study a level science???

i got a C grade overall in my core and i haven't done my additional yet. can i study a level science even if a got a c in my core?
im predicted to get a grade A/B in additional.
Is it alright if i resit my core exams and get B grade because i know i could get a B since i was only 4 marks away. so if i resit my core and get a B grade, could i do Alevel science.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sweet19
i got a C grade overall in my core and i haven't done my additional yet. can i study a level science even if a got a c in my core?

It depends which subjects you are planning to do, most sixth forms ask for Maths grade C minimum for Biology and Chemistry inc 5 GCSE's A*-C but to do Physics the minimum requirement is B grade at maths GCSE. Most people studying science a-levels got B-A* grades with little effort at GCSE. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but you may find it a struggle at A-Level
When you say A level science do you mean applied science? Or Biology, Chemistry and Physics? It will depend on what the college or sixth form's entry requirements are that you are looking at but I know people who have just started year 12 and are doing a science subject that got a C in their core as they took it a year early so it is possible.
Reply 3
If you get an A/B in additional then it's fine. I do Physics A-level at grade B additional science and maths. Though you have to consider entry requirements to the potential sixth form you might want to go to as well.
You would need to get B's minimum overall I would think. Check out the entry requirements of the sixth form of your choice and try and aim for those. Look, I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but if you're struggling hitting the top marks at GCSE you will almost certainly struggle a lot more at a-level and you will be unhappy. Maybe you should consider not doing science a-levels maybe studying other subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by Student232
When you say A level science do you mean applied science? Or Biology, Chemistry and Physics? It will depend on what the college or sixth form's entry requirements are that you are looking at but I know people who have just started year 12 and are doing a science subject that got a C in their core as they took it a year early so it is possible.

I mean Biology, chemistry and physics Alevels. my mains are chemistry and biolog.
Original post by sweet19

Yes you can study A level Science! Even if your school require an A at GCSE to take it at A level I would still take it, they do not tell you how hard it is to get into University with things such as a science BTEC! If you want to do any science at University then pick to do Biology,Physics or Chemistry at A level.
And if your school have an entrance exam to do any science or maths at A level, then study hard for it! You have to get at least 20/80 to pass but you can do that with good revision! Its on the topic which you learn in the first 3 weeks of term.
Do not let your school pressure you into choosing a BTEC science if you do not get the required grade, tell them you will do the entrance exam first!
From my own personal experience, I was pressured into choosing BTEC science as they bluntly said I was not good enough to do it, I loved doing biology and chemistry in rollover and it is my biggest regret that I did not carry it only because I got a B, I was achieving A's and A*'s in science and was just unfortunate in the exam.
stick with it, you can do it if you work hard enough, don't go along with predicted grades, aim for the maximum A*, that will push you to work even harder and try to get more on tests!
As I always say, if you want to compete on the world stage with the rest of the world's colleges and university's then pick A Levels and work hard! Do not let them force you to do BTEC just to keep school average grades up!
Many people do not value education as much as others, anyone can achieve straight A's if they work hard enough throughout the ENTIRE YEAR! Trust me, if you don't work hard enough and get B's in alot of things when you could have got A/A*'s by working hard and revising enough, you will regret it!
For inspiration and motivation, watch top university acceptance videos for world class places such as Harvard and MIT! Especially the one with a girl called Aubrey! It just shows that with hard work you can achieve major things and got to the best university's in the World! Its shows how much others value there education and want to succeed! Set yourself a goal and keep working towards that, pin a picture if Harvard or Cambridge on your wall to keep you motivated!
AIM BIG AND DREAM HIGH!!
All the best and work your ass off! You may think revision can be left until last minute but its better to revise all year-round and keep at it to get straight A's!!🎇🎉🎊🎆 🌟😊
Original post by sweet19
I mean Biology, chemistry and physics Alevels. my mains are chemistry and biolog.

Oh ok my sixth form's requirement was to get a B in the science you want to take so if you try to get a B or A in the tests for Chemistry and Biology then there should be no reason why your sixth form or college would accept you to take them. Good luck with your mocks and exams!
Reply 8
Original post by Student232
Oh ok my sixth form's requirement was to get a B in the science you want to take so if you try to get a B or A in the tests for Chemistry and Biology then there should be no reason why your sixth form or college would accept you to take them. Good luck with your mocks and exams!

Thank You :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Maximum98
Yes you can study A level Science! Even if your school require an A at GCSE to take it at A level I would still take it, they do not tell you how hard it is to get into University with things such as a science BTEC! If you want to do any science at University then pick to do Biology,Physics or Chemistry at A level.
And if your school have an entrance exam to do any science or maths at A level, then study hard for it! You have to get at least 20/80 to pass but you can do that with good revision! Its on the topic which you learn in the first 3 weeks of term.
Do not let your school pressure you into choosing a BTEC science if you do not get the required grade, tell them you will do the entrance exam first!
From my own personal experience, I was pressured into choosing BTEC science as they bluntly said I was not good enough to do it, I loved doing biology and chemistry in rollover and it is my biggest regret that I did not carry it only because I got a B, I was achieving A's and A*'s in science and was just unfortunate in the exam.
stick with it, you can do it if you work hard enough, don't go along with predicted grades, aim for the maximum A*, that will push you to work even harder and try to get more on tests!
As I always say, if you want to compete on the world stage with the rest of the world's colleges and university's then pick A Levels and work hard! Do not let them force you to do BTEC just to keep school average grades up!
Many people do not value education as much as others, anyone can achieve straight A's if they work hard enough throughout the ENTIRE YEAR! Trust me, if you don't work hard enough and get B's in alot of things when you could have got A/A*'s by working hard and revising enough, you will regret it!
For inspiration and motivation, watch top university acceptance videos for world class places such as Harvard and MIT! Especially the one with a girl called Aubrey! It just shows that with hard work you can achieve major things and got to the best university's in the World! Its shows how much others value there education and want to succeed! Set yourself a goal and keep working towards that, pin a picture if Harvard or Cambridge on your wall to keep you motivated!
AIM BIG AND DREAM HIGH!!
All the best and work your ass off! You may think revision can be left until last minute but its better to revise all year-round and keep at it to get straight A's!!🎇🎉🎊🎆 🌟😊

Thank You a lot!!!!! You just made me soo happy!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!! :h::h::h::h: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 10
B in additional science is usually what they require.

I don't think they'll look at your core.
Original post by sweet19
Thank You a lot!!!!! You just made me soo happy!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!! :h::h::h::h: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

No Problem! I know you can do it if you put your mind to it and work hard! You can achieve straight A's! Hope to see you at Cambridge or Harvard soon! Stay motivated, revise throughout the year alot and aim for the A*'s!! Message me if you ever need any help with anything, I WILL answer!😊🎇🎉🚀🌃🌌🌟🌛🌠🌉 #FutureGenius #FutureScientist #WorldClassStudent 😉👌
Reply 12
Well go for it but remember it's gonna be ****ing hard and you might feel stupid among the other A* grade students. You're gonna want a B or higher in Maths and Science to get into your 6th form probably and do well in A-level sciences. Otherwise you'll do it at college. I did better at additional than core - i got AA*A at GCSE science and I did work hard but science has always been a passion of mine and I'm what people consider 'naturally talented' in science but I just work hard. So work hard and know how to play the exam game! With A-levels it's different though. You're gonna have to apply your knowledge and even some of the top GCSE students (I'm talking like 10 A*s) struggle with this and some even failed! If you are determined to do science A-level and are willing to sacrifice everything and put your blood, sweat and tears into it then go for it and I'm sure you'll succeed. But if you're not prepared to do the work, don't fall into the trap. Be realistic - you know what you can and can't do and what your limits are and how hard you work. You know if you can do it.
Reply 13
Original post by sweet19
Is it alright if i resit my core exams and get B grade because i know i could get a B since i was only 4 marks away. so if i resit my core and get a B grade, could i do Alevel science.

It depends, make sure you get an A at additional. Everyone develops at different stages; someone may get Cs and GCSE and preform better at A-Level than someone who got straight As.

Aforementioned, by someone else, most people who are on the A-Level science courses are academically gifted at science or have worked hard for the top grades. Make sure it is where your passion lies - without, genuine, interest it's not worth taking it!
Reply 14
Well now i re took the gcse core science and i got an A grade at it and in my additional i got an A grade too. so overall, in all of my gcse subjects the grades were B,A&A* grades. therefore, im accepted to do alevel science :smile: :smile: :smile:
Thanks to those who supported me here and made me believe i can do it :smile: Thank you so much :smile: :biggrin::h:

Quick Reply

Latest