Turn on thread page Beta

M353 - Sgt. Blackman Motion watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M353 - Sgt. Blackman Motion, TSR UKIPThis House believes the government should free Sgt Blackman.

Lance Corporal Martin Gill, 22, was one of seven Royal Marines killed – along with 40 maimed – on the 2011 tour of Helmand Province which ended in Sgt Blackman ‘snapping’ under extreme psychological pressure. Sgt Blackman has been languishing in prison since he was found guilty of killing an injured Taliban fighter by a court martial in December 2013. He is serving a life sentence in Erlestoke jail in Wiltshire and is believed to be the only British soldier to have been convicted of committing murder on a foreign battlefield.

A Mail investigation has revealed that: Sgt Blackman and his troop were at breaking point after their ‘tour from hell’ in Helmand that saw comrades tortured and killed; his court martial was blocked from hearing about these mitigating circumstances; a high-flying colonel resigned in protest at not being able to give mitigating evidence at the court martial. Had Sgt Blackman been given the option of a manslaughter charge – on the basis of mitigating circumstances – it would have led to a shorter sentence.

This house believes the government should intervene in the legal system to free Sgt Blackmain from prison, and clear him of all charges.

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    While I'm not a fan of the state intervening in the judicial system, there's certainly something to be done here. I'm not too sure yet though.

Edit: I've decided that I will most likely abstain as it is not parliament's business to interfere in this matter

ReputationRep:
    Surely a retrail would be more appropriate?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    I couldn't agree more.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but don't just copy and paste news articles as motions, okay? As for the case, imprisoning British soldiers for executing already dying Taliban scum is absurd. It's their job to kill the enemy and that's what they should be allowed to do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Is this the guy that was caught on camera immediately after bragging about breaking the Geneva Convention?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Aye, but don't just copy and paste news articles as motions, okay? As for the case, imprisoning British soldiers for executing already dying Taliban scum is absurd. It's their job to kill the enemy and that's what they should be allowed to do.
    Murder is murder whether they be Taliban scum or not. If they are captured there is no reason to kill them, the aim of war is to neutralise opposing armies not necessarily through killing them.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Nay, he killed a man in cold blood and committed a war crime. The government shouldn't decided who can and cannot be subject to justice with respect to the law.

Maybe if it was psychological then a stay in a mental health institution woudl be better but he shouldn't be given a free pass for unlawful killing (murder)

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Is this the guy that was caught on camera immediately after bragging about breaking the Geneva Convention?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Murder is murder whether they be Taliban scum or not. If they are captured there is no reason to kill them, the aim of war is to neutralise opposing armies not necessarily through killing them.
    Yes, but if you release German POWs, they'll likely return to their family, because although their cause wasn't just, most of them were practically made to fight, but if you release Taliban scum, they'll likely remain the savages that they are and bomb your base. I think it's much safer and more economical to just exterminate terrorists, or at least not giving someone a life sentence for having an itchy finger.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but if you release German POWs, they'll likely return to their family, because although their cause wasn't just, most of them were practically made to fight, but if you release Taliban scum, they'll likely remain the savages that they are and bomb your base. I think it's much safer and more economical to just exterminate terrorists, or at least not giving someone a life sentence for having an itchy finger.
    Potentially so, however Boasting about breaking the Geneva Convention is not having an itchy finger. He's also got a minimum term of 8 years which is hardly extreme.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes.
    Then it's a nay from me.

ReputationRep:
    A free and fair retrial sounds more like the proper ordeal in this circumstance, so if we move to amend this motion to suggest to the CPS and HM's Armed Forces that this soldier should be given a retrial I'll back the motion.

ReputationRep:
    Just to be clear what he did.

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    Blackman ordered other servicemen to stop administering first aid to the insurgent and eventually shot the man in the chest with a 9 mm pistol, saying: "Shuffle off this mortal coil, you ****. It's nothing you wouldn't do to us." He then added: "I just broke the Geneva Convention."
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Then that is a definite no.

ReputationRep:
    Potentially so, however Boasting about breaking the Geneva Convention is not having an itchy finger. He's also got a minimum term of 8 years which is hardly extreme.
    Fair enough, I didn't know that, however I'd still say that none of us can understand what they're going through for their country and the rest of the civilised world, and for that I think they deserve some leniency.

The life of such terrorists who wouldn't think twice before emptying their magazines (or worse) into British soldiers is worth nothing compared to the years this lad could easily lose in prison. It's certainly not worth our sympathy…

ReputationRep:
    I mean I'll still back a retrial if there is evidence that wasn't presented, I think that is only fair, but I won't back a motion to free him, and I'll make it clear when voting where my feelings lie, but that I feel it is only fair that all evidence should be heard in Court for the Judge and Jury(?) to rule on

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I didn't know that, however I'd still say that none of us can understand what they're going through for their country and the rest of the civilised world, and for that I think they deserve some leniency.

The life of such terrorists who wouldn't think twice before emptying their magazines (or worse) into British soldiers is worth nothing compared to the years this lad could easily lose in prison. It's certainly not worth our sympathy…
    Although that I agree these terrorists are truly horrible people, I disagree with sinking to their level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I mean I'll still back a retrial if there is evidence that wasn't presented, I think that is only fair, but I won't back a motion to free him, and I'll make it clear when voting where my feelings lie, but that I feel it is only fair that all evidence should be heard in Court for the Judge and Jury(?) to rule on
    I'd back a retrail, severely doubt that it would change the outcome looking at the evidence.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.