Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

|OPINION TIME| Is meeting people from social networking is a good idea? watch

• View Poll Results: What is your opinion on meeting via social networking sites
    Very bad and dangerous
    4.17%
    Bad
    16.67%
    Not sure
    12.50%
    It is fine
    12.50%
    It is a good way of "getting out there" and making more friends
    12.50%
    Done it before
    41.67%

ReputationRep:
    I have heard from a friend that a guy is meeting a girl of from TSR. Do you think meeting people IRL is a good idea and what is your opinion on it?

ReputationRep:
    i think it is a bad idea meeting people in real life who you have only met online before! they could be anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British Jesus)
    I have heard from a friend that a guy is meeting a girl of from TSR. Do you think meeting people IRL is a good idea and what is your opinion on it?
    nothing wrong with it if you're smart about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picklescamp)
    nothing wrong with it if you're smart about it
    True

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    i think it is a bad idea meeting people in real life who you have only met online before! they could be anyone!
    But wouldn't you make the procedures to make sure that the person you are seeing is real. i.e facetime, skype, etc.

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't you make the procedures to make sure that the person you are seeing is real. i.e facetime, skype, etc.
    yeah, that's what you should do I've done it before like that, not a problem. Get to know the person well and meet in a public place. Facetime/snapchat/skype so you get familiar with them first of course

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it if you are prepared for whatever you might face.

I say that, but it is unlikely that I ever would.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure u don't meet them in a dark alley and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wouldn't consciously make an effort to do so, but if the person's location was very nearby and he/she seems very nice, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to schedule a meeting in a public place.

ReputationRep:
    If you have common friends or school or workplace or anything then sure why not. A complete stranger I'd want to know more first.

ReputationRep:
    I've met a lot of people that I met online in person - the trick is, like others have said, to be smart about it. I.e. if you've only seen like two pictures of them, you have no mutual friends, you've never skyped them or anything, it's basically a sign you should probably not meet up with them

ReputationRep:
    i've met like 4 people off the internet haha, all good friends ^-^
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I've done it. With one, we waited almost 7 years before meeting. (there are a few reasons for this)

It's fine as long as you're both sensible. In our case, we met in public and just went for a walk. My only complaint was that he gave me his cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I've done it. With one, we waited almost 7 years before meeting. (there are a few reasons for this)

It's fine as long as you're both sensible. In our case, we met in public and just went for a walk. My only complaint was that he gave me his cold.
    7 years??? holy.

You must have gradually became the best of friends or friends for life or something over the course of that duration..
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    7 years??? holy.

You must have gradually became the best of friends or friends for life or something over the course of that duration..
    I was 14 when we started talking. We met IRL just before I turned 21. Part of the reason for it taking so long to meet up was because of the distance. I lived in Plymouth as a teenager and he live in London. It may have been different if we'd just lived down the road from each other.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just don't be stupid. I've met a few people off the internet, s'nuffin. The internet isn't like it was 15 years ago where you think you're talking to Sarah, 21, hairdresser and it's really Dave, 53, nonce. People have too many profiles and accounts on things so it's easy to tell if something is dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Met other new mothers from other forums, they were perfectly ordinary.

ReputationRep:
    I've met a few people from TSR. I've not been murdered yet.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I've met a lot of people (member and ex-members of the site team) from here too.

Again, no issues. As long as you're both sensible, it's fine imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Yeah just don't be stupid. I've met a few people off the internet, s'nuffin. The internet isn't like it was 15 years ago where you think you're talking to Sarah, 21, hairdresser and it's really Dave, 53, nonce. People have too many profiles and accounts on things so it's easy to tell if something is dodgy.
    How old were you 15 years ago??

I wouldn't have thought it was particularly appropriate for you to be meeting Sarah, 21 in the first place!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.