The Student Room Group

Help! Withdraw foundation degree

Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me. I am considering of quitting my course. It's my first year and semester. I didn't get any info from students finance about how much will I need to pay back If any. Does anyone knows how it works? Thank you so much.
Hi Ivandelsur.

If we received a withdrawal from your chosen course, we will then send out information on how to repay.

If you leave a course before it has been completed then any maintenance loans and grants you have received can go into 'overpayment' meaning we can ask you to pay some of this back immediately.

Tuition fees will fall into normal repayment when earning over the threshold as any overpayment of these will be reclaimed from your college/uni by us.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. Could you do some calculattions if I decided to leave now? they paid me about £1.100 maintenance grant 14/10, £1450 loan same date and tutituon fee about £1.100 11/10/15

Thank you so much

Ivan
Hi,

We are unable to give you any calculations on the overpayment, this is only done by our assessors. Once the withdrawal has been recieevd we will run a full assessement and give you the details of what needs to be repaid back.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Hi,

I understand, but it seems that is better for me to stay and try.

If I leave in January there won't be any over-payment, does it mean I need to pay immediately just because I left my course?

Thank you
Hi,

If you were to leave in January you would need to make sure your January payment is not released to you, as this will then go into an overpayment.

The only money that needs to be repaid back immediately is anything that is an overpayment after you leave a course.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi,

If you were to leave in January you would need to make sure your January payment is not released to you, as this will then go into an overpayment.

The only money that needs to be repaid back immediately is anything that is an overpayment after you leave a course.

Thanks.

I really appreciate your help, I needed it.

But if my payment is released in January and I leave my course I will need to pay back just that money for January not for the one they paid me in October right?

What happens to the money they paid me in October will I need to pay when I earn over 21.000 pounds?

Many thanks
Hi,

Yes if the payment is released you would repay that back to us. The money that was paid and that you are entitled to will just be deducted from your wages when you are earning over the 21,000 pounds.

Thanks.
Reply 8
Hi, I have been speaking with Student finance about withdrawing my course. If I leave now I need to pay about 500 pounds loan back and 400 pounds grant, and the tution fee for first term. If I stay until the end of my first term, will I need to pay back the loan and fee straight away or when you earn over 21.000? Also they told me that I could give a year break until they don't start charging me, can someone explain what is that?Would you stay until the end or first term or leave now? ( I am going to leave anyway, don't know when though) Thank you so much.
Hi

If you leave we will then carry out the assessment that will let your know if you have been overpaid for the time you were on the course.

Only any money you received that you would not be entitled to would be asked to be repaid, we can't advise you of this amount until the assessment s carried out.

The loans you were entitled to will be repaid once you are working, through your salary.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending