Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I've been at uni 6 weeks now and its going better than i ever thought it would and i've not even been homesick to be honest. i'm going home for reading week mainly because i promised my parents i would and they seem excited to see me and i think it will be good but i cant imagine being at home now for like 8 nights and im even dreading it a little bit....anyway my parents are still being pretty suffocating from like 100 miles away. i've only just "weaned" them off skyping me EVERY NIGHT because i really feel like doing that stopped me making stronger bonds with my flatmates....my mum had a go tonight because i dont lock my bedroom door and was telling me how they're strangers to me - even though i've been living here six weeks! i find myself getting annoyed so easily by them because they'll see my window is open and be like "DONT FORGET TO CLOSE IT" or theyll quiz me on if my alarm is set and stupid stuff like that. i'm 19 and at uni. i know its only 6 weeks but does anyone else have advice on how to tell them nicely? because my parents are very black and white, so if you say something in a nice way and its not what they want to hear........they kind of get upset until you back down

so how have you got your parents to back off a bit??

ReputationRep:
    well, i have pretty much the same problem (overprotective, helicopter parents) and i think i might try telling my mum that i'll only respond to her once every week......... idk, it's a horrible situation

(Original post by DannyDualscar)
    well, i have pretty much the same problem (overprotective, helicopter parents) and i think i might try telling my mum that i'll only respond to her once every week......... idk, it's a horrible situation
    yeah i've stopped replying to every SINGLE text (i tell her im out and she keeps checking for updates and asking if im home yet) and we skype like 4 times a week rather than 7 now because i say i have work or am tired and stuff.....and i feel bad but i think they need to get used to not knowing EVERYTHING and not seeing me all the time/often.....

what do your parents do?

ReputationRep:
    let me guess, asian parents?

I would just ask them to give you free space & time also that what they are doing takes up a lot of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)
    let me guess, asian parents?

I would just ask them to give you free space & time also that what they are doing takes up a lot of time.
    Pffft, if they we're asian, they wouldn't have let her go to that specific uni in the first place. I should know, I've been trying to convince my parents but they're so stubborn with their own views >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadiiiaax)
    Pffft, if they we're asian, they wouldn't have let her go to that specific uni in the first place. I should know, I've been trying to convince my parents but they're so stubborn with their own views >.<
    Not all, there are lots of asian girls and boys at my uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yeah i've stopped replying to every SINGLE text (i tell her im out and she keeps checking for updates and asking if im home yet) and we skype like 4 times a week rather than 7 now because i say i have work or am tired and stuff.....and i feel bad but i think they need to get used to not knowing EVERYTHING and not seeing me all the time/often.....

what do your parents do?
    send me a lot of guilt tripping messages if im too busy to skype call, text me every single night with "are you home safe", if im at home then im not allowed to do basic adult things like take a train into london, im not allowed to go see my boyfriend this christmas (6 hour train journey despite the fact he'd pick me up from the train station) and ive even been told off for walking on a pavement beside a main road.

ReputationRep:
    They do it because they care for you. It is a new experience for them as well you being away from them. You may not be homesick but they are.

Nope not asian. not that it would be ok if i was? or that is better than im not. but anyway im 19 years old they have to know where i am all the time but my 17 year old brother is out until like 12 every night they dont know exactly where. my mom was texting me all day having a go about me not locking my bedroom door - not the flat door, my BEDROOM door and then when i stood up to her about it not being an issue and she got my dad to start texting me and he always just takes her side for a quiet life and im not backing down on this one

(Original post by SGHD26716)
    They do it because they care for you. It is a new experience for them as well you being away from them. You may not be homesick but they are.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.